The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Brunei

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Yes Brunei is a very rich country because of their oil and gaz. Brunei sultan used to have two wives but he has divorced his second wife couple years ago. I posted some of their royal family website in this thread. Here I have a website about the country http://www.empire.com.bn/brunei/about_brunei.htm

Old 10-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Nobility

So two cousins that are singers married two brothers of the Sultan ??????
Old 10-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Nobility

So it is common for the wives of one prince to show up together at official events???
Old 10-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Nobility

The royal visit of the Countess of Wessex - who is the other woman sitting on the divan with her and the Queen??
Old 10-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Nobility

ABUJA, NIGERIA: Brunei Minister of Foreign Affairs, His Royal Highness Haji Mohammed Bolkiah, accompanied by his wife arrives in Abuja 04 December, 2003 to attend the Commonwealth summit. (Photo credit should read PIUS UTOMI EKPEI/AFP/Getty Images)

I read somewhere that Prince Mohammed has only one wife and is suppose to being very much in love - true ??
Old 10-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Nobility

Headscarves

I see that there is much discussion about the women of Brunei, in particular the royal women, and headscarves.

There must be "some rule of thumb" somewhere about when and when not to wear one.

I myself prefer the Queen without a scarf.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottestreasures
The royal visit of the Countess of Wessex - who is the other woman sitting on the divan with her and the Queen??
I think she is princess Miriam Sultan's other wife (now ex wife)....Sultan used to company by both of his wives in royal event or royal visit.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Gentry

I think that the two queens did not wear headscarves when QEII visited brunei, is that they place more importance on their England guests, and wanted to show that they are westernized too.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetortuga
I think P. Abdul Mateen looks like his dad. He's the youngest of the Sultan's children.
He looks like his mom.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
well both the sultan's wives didnt cover their hair at the reception, probably so they could wear their tiaras. It would've looked odd if they'd worn their tiaras on top of the hijab. Queen Saleha wore a tiara on a hijab at her son's wedding banquet a couple of weeks ago and it does look strange
I don't think it looks strange or odd at all wearing her tiara on her headcovering. And if that particular event took place in Brunei, it makes her skipping less susceptible and more tawdry to me.

Quote:
I see that there is much discussion about the women of Brunei, in particular the royal women, and headscarves.

There must be "some rule of thumb" somewhere about when and when not to wear one.

I myself prefer the Queen without a scarf.
And Charlotte as you probably know, most Muslim women who (willingly) wear veils or headcovering usually keep it wherever they go and it's not an adjustable piece of cloth. They are raised to believe that the hair is the most precious thing on a woman and thus should only be seen and admired by their men only and those that believe and follow this are very particular about it.

Some say it's an Islamic symbol and others say it's not mentioned in the Quran. For some it's a joy wearing it and compare it to being under the guidance of Allah and for others it's just an overrated piece of cloth. One might think veil is irrelevant another might think religious boundaries are irrelevant. It all depends on your mentality and your way of seeing and interpreting things. Those women who wear their veils with pride, dignity and confidence and refuse to unveil themselves even during some uncomfortable situations like participating in Sports because it's not just a part of their religion but also a part of their identity should be respected and applauded for their sincerity.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Nobility

Thanks for your insight into the matter of the headscarf.
I do know that even the Queen of England will wear a hat on her official duties doing the day and then will be bearheaded for evening events.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Gentry

I think the headscarf is not worn when they think the pictures will be shown internationally. For instance, sarah did not wear her headscarf during her engagement pictures, as these pictures are the first to announce her marriage.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Thanks for your insight into the matter of the headscarf.
I do know that even the Queen of England will wear a hat on her official duties doing the day and then will be bearheaded for evening events.
Yes, but the hat is a fashion item, an accessory just like her necklace no more no less, to go with her dress. And for the evening the European royalties usually go bareheaded or wear a tiara.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie
I think the headscarf is not worn when they think the pictures will be shown internationally. For instance, sarah did not wear her headscarf during her engagement pictures, as these pictures are the first to announce her marriage.
Actually, Sarah did wear it to her engagment photos. She didnt wear it in another group of more informal pictures. i dont think its the international thing because Princess Masna, who is the Bruneian foreign minister, wears it overseas all the time, even when addressing the UN. In the end, its all personal preferance.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

official pictures before the wedding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 16, 2004.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	43534   Click image for larger version

Name:	FMP-01-10-16471763.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	43536   Click image for larger version

Name:	FMP-01-10-16491763.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	43537   Click image for larger version

Name:	FMP-01-10-16501763.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	43538  

Attached Images

Old 10-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

informal pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	43542   Click image for larger version

Name:	FMP-01-10-16441763.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	43543  
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Gentry

I have to disagree. While there are both sets of photos available. The major newspapers used the set of photos without her headcovering. Clearly, the brunei royal family knows that the international audience prefer to see them without their headcovering, and that's why they will go without it. I really don't think it's a personal preference. When you are part of the royal family, you have to follow protocol. You are representing your country.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

well if thats your opinion. I dont think the Bruneian royalty cares whether the international audience wants to see Princess Sarah without her headscarf. Why should everyone else care either? I hope most people aren't that shallow! Both sets of pictures are available on the net and on sites like "Hello"
Besides, Sarah wore her scarf throughout her wedding festivities which were seen all over the world. The portrait that annonced the Crown Prince's engagment several months ago was the one where she's wearing the blue scarf. Thats the very first picture of her that was made public to all the news agencies. I remember it clearly, it was posted on the Crown Prince's website first and even posted on this forum.
Also, on Bruneian tv, Princess Sarah was shown without a headscarf several times, before her marriage; for example, when the crown prince and his parents visited Sarah and her parents for a dinner, she wasn't covered. Its obviously not that big of a deal in brunei either.
My point is, there is no particular pattern here. The royal women have appeared with and without their scarves both nationally and internationally.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Gentry

I think she didn't wear it, to introduce her to the world. I have seen pictures of Sarah wearing the headcovering while playing sports. How often does Queen Saleha go without her headcovering? Once in a blue moon? I don't really think it is shallow, but it is a form of diplomacy and respect and respresenting your country at the same time. I think they do care about how the world sees them or why would the sultan hire a PR company?