The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Brunei

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottestreasures
ABUJA, NIGERIA: Brunei Minister of Foreign Affairs, His Royal Highness Haji Mohammed Bolkiah, accompanied by his wife arrives in Abuja 04 December, 2003 to attend the Commonwealth summit. (Photo credit should read PIUS UTOMI EKPEI/AFP/Getty Images)

I read somewhere that Prince Mohammed has only one wife and is suppose to being very much in love - true ??
Prince Mohammed married his cousin, who is the Sultan's Wife's sister. So the Sultan and his brother both married their cousins, who are sisters .

Old 12-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zina
Prince Mohammed married his cousin, who is the Sultan's Wife's sister. So the Sultan and his brother both married their cousins, who are sisters .
P. Mohammed's is very much in love with his wife. He calls her his "life-long love and friend."

Old 12-12-2004, 01:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
Thanx so much Zina.
I saw some more pictures of Princess Rashidah's daughters. I think they're absolutely adorable. The eldest one looks just like her mother. Do you know the name of her son? She has only three kids right?

Btw....I've noticed that Princess Rashidah kept her father's name. Is that the traditon in the Bruneian royal family? It would make sense because thats the Islamic way to do it. Her daughters' last name, as you mentioned, is also Bolkiah. Is that because their father is also from the Sultan's family?
Princess Rashidah's son is called: Abdul Raqiib, when you take away all the titles. He's the third and youngest child.

Regarding the name issue, you are right, P. Rashidah would keep her father's name and not take the husband's according to Muslim tradition. The childrens' names have "Bolkiah" in it - but they also take their father's name "Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim". E.g. the full name of the eldest daughter (minus titles) would be "Raheemah Sanaul Bolkiah binti Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim". Binti - meaning - "daughter of". I imagine they keep the name Bolkiah to show that they are part of the Brunei Royal Family. Their father doesn't have that name, even though he is a relative, as he is not an immediate part of the family. At formal banquets, he is not allowed to sit with his wife and the other royals even!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Princess Rashidah's son is called: Abdul Raqiib, when you take away all the titles. He's the third and youngest child.

Regarding the name issue, you are right, P. Rashidah would keep her father's name and not take the husband's according to Muslim tradition. The childrens' names have "Bolkiah" in it - but they also take their father's name "Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim". E.g. the full name of the eldest daughter (minus titles) would be "Raheemah Sanaul Bolkiah binti Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim". Binti - meaning - "daughter of". I imagine they keep the name Bolkiah to show that they are part of the Brunei Royal Family. Their father doesn't have that name, even though he is a relative, as he is not an immediate part of the family. At formal banquets, he is not allowed to sit with his wife and the other royals even!
thanks so much for that info Zina, you're a treasure!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thought I'd post the new pics from December 12, 2004

The caption said:
Junjung Ziarah Bakal-Bakal Haji 2004, Istana Nurul Iman (can someone please translate)

By the way, Queen Saleha looks wonderful as always and so does Sarah, especially in Pic #4. I have noticed that QS always wears bright clothing and heavy makeup not usually worn by women her age. Good for her!!!

I believe that is Princess Hafizah with Queen Saleha and Sarah.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAFEE_009.sized.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	65351   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAFEE_011.sized.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	65352   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAFEE_015.sized.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	65353   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAFEE_013.sized.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	65354  

Name:	RAFEE_014.sized.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	65355   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARIF_08.sized.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	65356   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARIF_09.sized.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	65357   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARIF_07.sized.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	65358  

Name:	ARIF_04.sized.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	65359   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARIF_03.sized.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	65360  
Old 12-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

great pictures!
While I dont know anything about the Bruneian language, I believe the event might have something to do with people leaving for Hajj....i could be wrong
Old 12-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

btw..that's Princess Rashidah with the Queen and Princess Sarah
Old 12-14-2004, 07:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
btw..that's Princess Rashidah with the Queen and Princess Sarah
Thanks for the correction, Humera. Princess Rashidah and Hafizah look alike, is all I can say for my excuse.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:12 AM
Aristocracy

Wadood's & his Wife - Pengiran Siti Aminah

Quote:
Here's another royal couple from Brunei I'd like to know about.
Humera, Wadood's wife's name is Pengiran Siti Aminah, formerly known as Dayangku Siti Aminah.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
great pictures!
While I dont know anything about the Bruneian language, I believe the event might have something to do with people leaving for Hajj....i could be wrong
That's right Humera, the Sultan and his wife were granting an audience to all the people intending to go on the Haj next year. It's an annual tradition.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Humera, Wadood's wife's name is Pengiran Siti Aminah, formerly known as Dayangku Siti Aminah.
Thanx again Zina.
I love the name Aminah, its so pretty.
btw..what do "pengiran" and "dayangku" mean?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

And one more thing Zina, I know that one of the Sultan's daughters from his ex-wife is named Princess Azemah, she is, I believe, the older one and is standing right next to Prince Azem in this picture, am I right?. What's the name of the other sister?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R009-7311May 2004.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	66514  
Old 12-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
And one more thing Zina, I know that one of the Sultan's daughters from his ex-wife is named Princess Azemah, she is, I believe, the older one and is standing right next to Prince Azem in this picture, am I right?. What's the name of the other sister?
That's right, Azemah is the pretty one, the other daughter is Fadzillah Lubabul Bolkiah.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Aristocracy

What is P. Abdul-Azim up to these days? I know resides in the UK. Is he studying there or has he moved there to live permanently?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think Lady would be as close a term as you get, as far as it comes to an English equivalent for Datin Hjh Faezah.

"Datins" are usually ladies who are married to "Datuks" or "Datos". They are not nobility, according to the website.

It seems that Brunei royal court titles are numerous, so it's difficult to find English equivalents to all of them.
ah..okay
Have Prince Sufri's previous wives also had the same title? I recall you saying that he has had many wives and it seemed easier for the royal court to not give his wives the title of "HRH" since the title is usually taken away after a divorce.
How many wives exactly has Prince Sufri had? Have he and Faezah been married for long?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinneret5764
What is P. Abdul-Azim up to these days? I know resides in the UK. Is he studying there or has he moved there to live permanently?
He and his sisters and brother live in London with their mother for most of the time. But from what I've noticed, they are also in Brunei often.
Prince Azim, and his sisters to a lesser extent, seem to be very at home in London. They mix with the local celebrities very often and go to premiers etc.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2004- Joint birthday party for Prince Azim and his sisters
Guests included Diana Ross, Eva Herzigova, Sharon and Jack Osbourne, Lennox Lewis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	1363
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	67278  
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Aristocracy

I think P. Abdul-Mateen still resides in Brunei. He's been making appearances at the Sultan, Crown Prince, and P. Abdul-Malik at recent events in Brunei, including at the funeral of Q. Saleha's brother on Wednesday.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinneret5764
I think P. Abdul-Mateen still resides in Brunei. He's been making appearances at the Sultan, Crown Prince, and P. Abdul-Malik at recent events in Brunei, including at the funeral of Q. Saleha's brother on Wednesday.
yeah you're right. I've seen him make more appearances in Brunei than any his other siblings. He also seems to be close to Prince Abdul Malik.
Perhaps he is a favourite of the Sultan, youngest children often are.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
ah..okay
Have Prince Sufri's previous wives also had the same title? I recall you saying that he has had many wives and it seemed easier for the royal court to not give his wives the title of "HRH" since the title is usually taken away after a divorce.
How many wives exactly has Prince Sufri had? Have he and Faezah been married for long?
I think he's had at least 4 wives. His previous wife, the Malaysian ex-pop singer, Mazuin, had a royal title of Pengiran Bini - Bini is a commonly used word for "wife" - not very prestigious. She only recently had the title taken away, though they had been divorced for a long time.

Yang Mulia Datin Faezah has been married to P. Sufri about 5 years. Datin is a very common title, lots of ladies in Brunei possess it, so it's not exclusively a royal title.