Royalty of Brunei 1: January 2004-February 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~*~Humera~*~ said:
thanx.
They're adorable.
Do you know if they're twins?
Don't know but they look very close in age. P. Rashidah also has a son born in 2002, the Sultan's first grandson.

P. Rashidah's girls

~*~Humera~*~ said:
If someone from Brunei is around, perhaps Zina, could you please tell me who the two little girls in the last picture (also in the 2nd picture in post #217) are?
Are they the daughters of Princess Rashidah, perhaps? or any other member of the royal family?
They are Princess Rahidah's daughters - the eldest is Raheemah Sanaul Bolkiah, and the little one is Hariisah Widadul Bolkiah. Not sure of their exact ages - the little one just "graduated" from her Kindergarten class few days ago. And Raheemah is in Grade 2 or 3, so she must be about 6 or 7.

Zina said:
They are Princess Rahidah's daughters - the eldest is Raheemah Sanaul Bolkiah, and the little one is Hariisah Widadul Bolkiah. Not sure of their exact ages - the little one just "graduated" from her Kindergarten class few days ago. And Raheemah is in Grade 2 or 3, so she must be about 6 or 7.
Thanx so much Zina.
I saw some more pictures of Princess Rashidah's daughters. I think they're absolutely adorable. The eldest one looks just like her mother. Do you know the name of her son? She has only three kids right?

Btw....I've noticed that Princess Rashidah kept her father's name. Is that the traditon in the Bruneian royal family? It would make sense because thats the Islamic way to do it. Her daughters' last name, as you mentioned, is also Bolkiah. Is that because their father is also from the Sultan's family?

Last edited:
December 4, 2004
Crown Princess Sarah attends a charity concert with Princesses Majeedah and Hafizah

Attachments

• RAFEE_003.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_003.sized.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 552
  • RAFEE_001.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_001.sized.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 394
  • RAFEE_012.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_012.sized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 479
  • RAFEE_009.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_009.sized.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 341
  • RAFEE_007.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_007.sized.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 392
  • RAFEE_006.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_006.sized.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 624
  • RAFEE_004.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_004.sized.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,253
  • RAFEE_002.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_002.sized.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 363
I guess it must be a royal protocol that the wife of the crown prince walk in front. Princess Sarah's like leading the rest.

Really like Princess Sarah's dress fashion . I suppose none of the royal family wear their clothes twice. Is there like a royal tailor for each of them?

On closer look,Princess Majeedah is rather attractive and appeared the intellectual sort

Minnie said:
I guess it must be a royal protocol that the wife of the crown prince walk in front. Princess Sarah's like leading the rest.

Really like Princess Sarah's dress fashion . I suppose none of the royal family wear their clothes twice. Is there like a royal tailor for each of them?

On closer look,Princess Majeedah is rather attractive and appeared the intellectual sort
I agree. Princess Majeedah's the prettiest of the Sultan's daughters from his first wife. As for the second wife's daughters, I think Princess Azemah is the most attractive.
About the clothes, I have rarely seen the women wear the same outfit twice, but I have seen the Queen and Princess Rashidah do so once.

two more pics from the concert

Attachments

• ARIF_02.sized.jpg
    ARIF_02.sized.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 561
  • ARIF_04.sized.jpg
    ARIF_04.sized.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 532
Nice pictures Humera. Princess Sarah's looking lovelier by the day.

From the second picture of your first posting on the charity event,looks like "jade"(assuming it is)as a jewelry is in, Both PrincessMajeedah and Princess Sarah's are wearing the green bangles around their right wrist from picture.

Minnie said:
Nice pictures Humera. Princess Sarah's looking lovelier by the day.

From the second picture of your first posting on the charity event,looks like "jade"(assuming it is)as a jewelry is in, Both PrincessMajeedah and Princess Sarah's are wearing the green bangles around their right wrist from picture.
good eye Minnie.
I think I've seen the Queen wear it too.
Jade is pretty popular in South East Asia I believe

Some pictures of Princess Masna

Attachments

• RAMLI_001.sized.jpg
    RAMLI_001.sized.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 254
  • RAMLI_002.sized.jpg
    RAMLI_002.sized.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 253
  • RAMLI_004.sized.jpg
    RAMLI_004.sized.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 364
  • RAMLI_007.sized.jpg
    RAMLI_007.sized.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 298
  • RAMLI_009.sized.jpg
    RAMLI_009.sized.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 261
  • RAMLI_010.sized.jpg
    RAMLI_010.sized.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 292
charlottestreasures said:
ABUJA, NIGERIA: Brunei Minister of Foreign Affairs, His Royal Highness Haji Mohammed Bolkiah, accompanied by his wife arrives in Abuja 04 December, 2003 to attend the Commonwealth summit. (Photo credit should read PIUS UTOMI EKPEI/AFP/Getty Images)

I read somewhere that Prince Mohammed has only one wife and is suppose to being very much in love - true ??
Prince Mohammed married his cousin, who is the Sultan's Wife's sister. So the Sultan and his brother both married their cousins, who are sisters .

Zina said:
Prince Mohammed married his cousin, who is the Sultan's Wife's sister. So the Sultan and his brother both married their cousins, who are sisters .
P. Mohammed's is very much in love with his wife. He calls her his "life-long love and friend."

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Thanx so much Zina.
I saw some more pictures of Princess Rashidah's daughters. I think they're absolutely adorable. The eldest one looks just like her mother. Do you know the name of her son? She has only three kids right?

Btw....I've noticed that Princess Rashidah kept her father's name. Is that the traditon in the Bruneian royal family? It would make sense because thats the Islamic way to do it. Her daughters' last name, as you mentioned, is also Bolkiah. Is that because their father is also from the Sultan's family?
Princess Rashidah's son is called: Abdul Raqiib, when you take away all the titles. He's the third and youngest child.

Regarding the name issue, you are right, P. Rashidah would keep her father's name and not take the husband's according to Muslim tradition. The childrens' names have "Bolkiah" in it - but they also take their father's name "Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim". E.g. the full name of the eldest daughter (minus titles) would be "Raheemah Sanaul Bolkiah binti Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim". Binti - meaning - "daughter of". I imagine they keep the name Bolkiah to show that they are part of the Brunei Royal Family. Their father doesn't have that name, even though he is a relative, as he is not an immediate part of the family. At formal banquets, he is not allowed to sit with his wife and the other royals even!

Last edited:
Zina said:
Princess Rashidah's son is called: Abdul Raqiib, when you take away all the titles. He's the third and youngest child.

Regarding the name issue, you are right, P. Rashidah would keep her father's name and not take the husband's according to Muslim tradition. The childrens' names have "Bolkiah" in it - but they also take their father's name "Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim". E.g. the full name of the eldest daughter (minus titles) would be "Raheemah Sanaul Bolkiah binti Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim". Binti - meaning - "daughter of". I imagine they keep the name Bolkiah to show that they are part of the Brunei Royal Family. Their father doesn't have that name, even though he is a relative, as he is not an immediate part of the family. At formal banquets, he is not allowed to sit with his wife and the other royals even!
thanks so much for that info Zina, you're a treasure!

Thought I'd post the new pics from December 12, 2004

The caption said:
Junjung Ziarah Bakal-Bakal Haji 2004, Istana Nurul Iman (can someone please translate)

By the way, Queen Saleha looks wonderful as always and so does Sarah, especially in Pic #4. I have noticed that QS always wears bright clothing and heavy makeup not usually worn by women her age. Good for her!!!

I believe that is Princess Hafizah with Queen Saleha and Sarah.

Attachments

• RAFEE_009.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_009.sized.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 515
  • RAFEE_011.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_011.sized.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 541
  • RAFEE_015.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_015.sized.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 562
  • RAFEE_013.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_013.sized.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,130
  • RAFEE_014.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_014.sized.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 527
  • ARIF_08.sized.jpg
    ARIF_08.sized.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 456
  • ARIF_09.sized.jpg
    ARIF_09.sized.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 512
  • ARIF_07.sized.jpg
    ARIF_07.sized.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 712
  • ARIF_04.sized.jpg
    ARIF_04.sized.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 940
  • ARIF_03.sized.jpg
    ARIF_03.sized.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
great pictures!
While I dont know anything about the Bruneian language, I believe the event might have something to do with people leaving for Hajj....i could be wrong

btw..that's Princess Rashidah with the Queen and Princess Sarah

~*~Humera~*~ said:
btw..that's Princess Rashidah with the Queen and Princess Sarah
Thanks for the correction, Humera. Princess Rashidah and Hafizah look alike, is all I can say for my excuse.

Wadood's & his Wife - Pengiran Siti Aminah

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Here's another royal couple from Brunei I'd like to know about.
Humera, Wadood's wife's name is Pengiran Siti Aminah, formerly known as Dayangku Siti Aminah.

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
great pictures!
While I dont know anything about the Bruneian language, I believe the event might have something to do with people leaving for Hajj....i could be wrong
That's right Humera, the Sultan and his wife were granting an audience to all the people intending to go on the Haj next year. It's an annual tradition.

Zina said:
Humera, Wadood's wife's name is Pengiran Siti Aminah, formerly known as Dayangku Siti Aminah.
Thanx again Zina.
I love the name Aminah, its so pretty.
btw..what do "pengiran" and "dayangku" mean?

And one more thing Zina, I know that one of the Sultan's daughters from his ex-wife is named Princess Azemah, she is, I believe, the older one and is standing right next to Prince Azem in this picture, am I right?. What's the name of the other sister?

Attachments

• R009-7311May 2004.jpg
    R009-7311May 2004.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,128
~*~Humera~*~ said:
And one more thing Zina, I know that one of the Sultan's daughters from his ex-wife is named Princess Azemah, she is, I believe, the older one and is standing right next to Prince Azem in this picture, am I right?. What's the name of the other sister?
That's right, Azemah is the pretty one, the other daughter is Fadzillah Lubabul Bolkiah.

What is P. Abdul-Azim up to these days? I know resides in the UK. Is he studying there or has he moved there to live permanently?

Zina said:
I think Lady would be as close a term as you get, as far as it comes to an English equivalent for Datin Hjh Faezah.

"Datins" are usually ladies who are married to "Datuks" or "Datos". They are not nobility, according to the website.

It seems that Brunei royal court titles are numerous, so it's difficult to find English equivalents to all of them.
ah..okay
Have Prince Sufri's previous wives also had the same title? I recall you saying that he has had many wives and it seemed easier for the royal court to not give his wives the title of "HRH" since the title is usually taken away after a divorce.
How many wives exactly has Prince Sufri had? Have he and Faezah been married for long?

kinneret5764 said:
What is P. Abdul-Azim up to these days? I know resides in the UK. Is he studying there or has he moved there to live permanently?
He and his sisters and brother live in London with their mother for most of the time. But from what I've noticed, they are also in Brunei often.
Prince Azim, and his sisters to a lesser extent, seem to be very at home in London. They mix with the local celebrities very often and go to premiers etc.

Sep 26, 2004- Joint birthday party for Prince Azim and his sisters
Guests included Diana Ross, Eva Herzigova, Sharon and Jack Osbourne, Lennox Lewis.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,482
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,241
  • 3d.jpg
    3d.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,439
  • 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,448
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,511
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4,787
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 18,615
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,546
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 6,597
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 5,276
I think P. Abdul-Mateen still resides in Brunei. He's been making appearances at the Sultan, Crown Prince, and P. Abdul-Malik at recent events in Brunei, including at the funeral of Q. Saleha's brother on Wednesday.

kinneret5764 said:
I think P. Abdul-Mateen still resides in Brunei. He's been making appearances at the Sultan, Crown Prince, and P. Abdul-Malik at recent events in Brunei, including at the funeral of Q. Saleha's brother on Wednesday.
yeah you're right. I've seen him make more appearances in Brunei than any his other siblings. He also seems to be close to Prince Abdul Malik.
Perhaps he is a favourite of the Sultan, youngest children often are.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
ah..okay
Have Prince Sufri's previous wives also had the same title? I recall you saying that he has had many wives and it seemed easier for the royal court to not give his wives the title of "HRH" since the title is usually taken away after a divorce.
How many wives exactly has Prince Sufri had? Have he and Faezah been married for long?
I think he's had at least 4 wives. His previous wife, the Malaysian ex-pop singer, Mazuin, had a royal title of Pengiran Bini - Bini is a commonly used word for "wife" - not very prestigious. She only recently had the title taken away, though they had been divorced for a long time.

Yang Mulia Datin Faezah has been married to P. Sufri about 5 years. Datin is a very common title, lots of ladies in Brunei possess it, so it's not exclusively a royal title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom