The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Brunei

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 AM

Divorce of Princess Azrinaz and the Sultan: June 16, 2010

Wednesday, 16th June 2010, 8.00PM, been announce on air, HM of Brunei Darussalam Divorce Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

How do you know this?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

By no means is it always credible, and it's best to wait for actual confirmation, but wikipedia has already updated Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim's page concerning the divorce, on this day, June 16th.

It also states that all styles and titles accorded to her by marriage have been henceforth revoked, as was the case when the Sultan divorced his former second wife, Pengiran Isteri Mariam.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

brudirect.com confirmed it.

Quote:
Bandar Seri Begawan - His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei has divorced his second wife, Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim a former Malaysian television journalist on Wednesday, June 16, whom he married at a private ceremony in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in 2005.

http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/2...s-azrinaz.html
Josette
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Gentry

The announcement of the divorce was broadcasted on the National News.

http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/2...s-azrinaz.html

More people were waiting for the 'special announcement' rather than watching the world cup match.

I sincerely wish the best for the royal family's future.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know why or can correctly speculate the reason behind this divorce?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

This is such a shock! Even more so than the news of their marriage had been. Apparently there were rumours in Brunei but I had no idea. I really wonder about the reasons, it's only been 5 years and the couple have two little children whom I feel especially bad for.
All of Azrinaz's titles have been revoked. I guess she'll go back to Malaysia now and the kids will probably stay with her since they're so young. I'm sure we'll see more of them once they're older.
Only a few days before CP Victoria's wedding, this is very sad news.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Is His Majesty Sultan Bolkiah of Brunei going to attend Crown Princess Victoria's wedding? The divorce is an unpleasant event for all the parties involved.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Courtier

well what were the rumours?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Nobility

It is very sad, but not very surprising. She was an independent working woman. But when she was with HM, she was not the second, but the third. The Sultan, His First wife and Azrinaz. This picture can't have been her dream about being a princess. But at first she must have taken being the second wife for granted. Their marraige did never look like a fairy tale at all.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

It already amazed me that shemarried a Sultan 33 years older that her...& already married. Four of her stepchildren (how does it sound concerning them all, ha ha ha...) are older than she! (maybe they all failed to set proper relations? Such a trouble occurs frequently in such a little difference of age bertween stepmother & stepchildren. The latter usually suspect her to have married their father for life in luxury & prestige, not for love)
If she is really so independent, why did she sacrifice her "free, colorful life" to enclosure in a golden cage?
Providing she really returns to the work in the TV & get a programme to lead, how it's popularity would grow...

In fact, for what she needs, (sorry!) such an old chap?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Courtier

I wonder if she will be able to keep her jewels?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

If the Sultan gave them to her as mahr, she will. Unless it was her decision to divorce. Then she should give them back.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Yes I wonder about the jewels too. She was given at least three different tiaras during the 5 years she was married to the Sultan.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 AM

I think every Bruneian knows the reason behind this divorce (which I will not speculate more here ). As a Bruneian myself, the divorce came as no surprise since I've been hearing about the 'issue' way back earlier this year. It was just a matter of time. Now, they finally publicized it and for once, rumor was true.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Yes I wonder about the jewels too. She was given at least three different tiaras during the 5 years she was married to the Sultan.
I only remember one diamond tiara, do you have pics Humera?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Shocking news I feel quite bad for the children and wonder if the Sultan will allow her to keep them if she decides to move back to Malaysia or stay.
They are too young to go through this but if teh couple are not happy or had problems which were not solveable then I guess seperate ways is the best way to go.
The did make a good match.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Gentry

Here's a YouTube video of the 'Special Announcement'

credits: tiubawak9

Watch the video on this link for English translations:

Brunei News | RTB News | Breaking News | Asian News | World Weather | Entertainment and Video News from RTB
Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
I think every Bruneian knows the reason behind this divorce (which I will not speculate more here ). As a Bruneian myself, the divorce came as no surprise since I've been hearing about the 'issue' way back earlier this year. It was just a matter of time. Now, they finally publicized it and for once, rumor was true.
Will you please tell us about the real reason for us non-Bruneians? What were the rumours about?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Courtier

Ponyo, if you cant write it here, please pm us?