Vatican City State: The Conclave 12-14 March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Telegraph has said that many high officers in Vatican are backing Cardinal Scherer.

Maybe we'll see the first non-European Pope in centuries.

:vaticanflag:

Maybe.:)....Both Cardinal Scherer of Sao Paulo and Cardinal Scola of Milano are the Papabili most favorite according to some sources.One source claiming Cardinal Scherer can count on the vote of over 30 Cardinals "after talks with Cardinals"....The thing is,Cardinals will not ever talk on these matters with the press if at all.

This afternoon the Conclave will start,I wish them all wisdom,and the Elected One strenght and insight in the needs of the RCC.

Am really curious who will eventually be elected the next Pontifex Maximus,no "job" anyone could wish for,a tough cooky to bite.

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1453017

courtesy Claudio Peri.

Last edited:
Is it already Tuesday in Amsterdam? I never know the hour difference! It's Monday morning here!

LaRae

I don't think it is Tuesday in Amsterday as it is only Monday evening here in Australia and we are hours ahead of Europe.

Ok I thought the Conclave started on Tuesday....Lucien mentioned this afternoon, so maybe it does start today instead of tomorrow.

LaRae

Ok I thought the Conclave started on Tuesday....Lucien mentioned this afternoon, so maybe it does start today instead of tomorrow.

LaRae

It is currently 2:16pm on Monday 11th March in Vatican City now.

LaRae

I was going fast..It's monday afternoon here ..still...as well as in Rome...grin.

Some more news from Rome too:

SQPN: Catholic Insider |

Times are a-changing...one of the Cardinals arrived on his bike...and no,it wasn't the dutch one...:whistling::)

I was going fast..It's monday afternoon here ..still...as well as in Rome...grin.

Some more news from Rome too:

SQPN: Catholic Insider |

Times are a-changing...one of the Cardinals arrived on his bike...and no,it wasn't the dutch one...:whistling::)

Ah ok I knew one of us was confused <G> I just didn't know which one!

An aside: my son is in the military and possibly has an option to be stationed in Amsterdam. I'm wondering how much of a culture shock/change that would be from here? I've never been myself :) I think DH has but that would of been back in the late 70's or early 80's.

LaRae

Last edited:
Papabili:

PPE Agency

I prefer Schönborn of Vienna,and Scherer as 2nd vote....but it's all in Gods hands as they say there...But whomever will be the new Pontiff,it will be a job from hell in every way.

This morning,during the Holy Mass ahead of the start of the Conclave,the Cardinal Secretary of State of The Vatican,His Eminence Cardinal Sodano will read an important speech as was announced yesterday.

Holy Mass is celebrated at the Basilica at present after which the Cardibals,the 115 electables,will proceed to the Sixtine Chapel.

I think they will elect a new Pontiff within two days,thursday evening at the last,I think...

Last edited:
I have to admit, I really love all the secrets and the procedere around the Conclave. Many may say, this is no longer suitable in these modern times, but I guess, this is EXACTLY what makes it so special. What an old tradition! And it is so fascinating until we are getting the news around "Habemus Papam" - exciting until to the big news announcement. A Hollywood Regisseur could not have done it better.
Bye Bine

Papabili:

PPE Agency

I prefer Schönborn of Vienna,and Scherer as 2nd vote....but it's all in Gods hands as they say there...But whomever will be the new Pontiff,it will be a job from hell in every way.

This morning,during the Holy Mass ahead of the start of the Conclave,the Cardinal Secretary of State of The Vatican,His Eminence Cardinal Sodano will read an important speech as was announced yesterday.

Holy Mass is celebrated at the Basilica at present after which the Cardibals,the 115 electables,will proceed to the Sixtine Chapel.

I think they will elect a new Pontiff within two days,thursday evening at the last,I think...

All is set and ready,even in the Room of Tears..:

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1454487

courtesy Osservatore Romano

Right now all Cardinals have lunch,and at 04.30PM they will convene in the Sixtine Chapel,by 19.00PM local time the first and last vote for today might be concluded.

Last edited:
My suggestions for the date of the "habemus papam" is Friday!

All is set and ready,even in the Room of Tears..:

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1454487

courtesy Osservatore Romano

Right now all Cardinals have lunch,and at 04.30PM they will convene in the Sixtine Chapel,by 19.00PM local time the first and last vote for today might be concluded.

Ah, lunch in Rome! Anyone know what they get to eat in Conclave? I suppose if they are on some sort of semi-fast, it goes a lot faster.

Virtual Tour of Sistine Chapel

Here's a link from the Vatican website, a wonderful way to 'see' the Chapel:

Sistine Chapel

(takes about 15 seconds to fully load, at least on my computer)

Some contenders

Cardinal Christoph Schönborn,Archishop of Vienna
Cardinal Peter Erdo,Archbishop of Budapest
Cardinal Francisco Robles Ortega,Archbishop of Guadalajara (Mexico)
Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan,Archbishop of New York
Cardinal Sean o'Malley,Archbishop of Boston
Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle,Archbishop of Manilla
Cardinal Marc Ouellet,former Archbishop of Quebec and Primate of Canada
Cardinal Odilo Scherer,Archbishop of Sao Paolo
Cardinal Angelo Scola,Archbishop of Milan
Cardinal Wilfrid Fox,Archbishop of Durban
Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana
Cardinal Francis Arinze of Nigeria

Canadian is bookies' favourite for next pope - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 11, 2013

I love the deep rooted tradition, history and reverence tied to this whole process. It's just wonderful.

It's officially black smoke, so no new Pope yet.

That would have been a very very very big surprise.

I agree, wasn't holding out for a new Pope this evening. I might just go look up the last time they had a "first ballot Pope".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom