The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

A Papal resignation, the first Pope from Latin America.

Guys, I believe a new age has begun.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you so much Lumutqueen for translating the Pope's words!

I am not a Catholic, but the events of this evening have resonated with me a great deal and I think I am very pleased with the new Pope. It appears that he is quite a humble man and lives with great humility and I wonder if that is why he has chosen the name of St Francis as his papal name? St Francis is my favourite Saint as he is often associated with birds and animals - and I just remebered that I was christened in a church called St Francis Church!
I do hope that he will instil greater humilty and simplicity into the Church and inspire people of all faiths (and none) to live simpler, more humble lives!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

'Habemus Papam': Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio is the new Pope of the Catholic Church

Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

The media is mentioning St. Francis of Assisi, but given that the new pope is a Jesuit, I'm more likely to believe that his name is derived from St. Francis Xavier.

Anyone have any thoughts about that?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
The media is mentioning St. Francis of Assisi, but given that the new pope is a Jesuit, I'm more likely to believe that his name is derived from St. Francis Xavier.

The BBC said he had chosen his name from St Francis of Assisi.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The BBC said he had chosen his name from St Francis of Assisi.
Yes, the media's been speculating on that, but I don't believe it's been confirmed by the Vatican that this is where he derives his name from.

Just thinking logically, it makes sense that the first Jesuit pope would derive his name from a saint who was a Jesuit missionary and who holds special relevance to his order.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yes, the media's been speculating on that, but I don't believe it's been confirmed by the Vatican that this is where he derives his name from.
When I listened to the BBC there was no speculation, it was "The new Pope has chosen his name in honour of St Francis of Assisi.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
When I listened to the BBC there was no speculation, it was "The new Pope has chosen his name in honour of St Francis of Assisi.
And I'd be interested in knowing whether that was confirmed by the Vatican- that the name was chosen to honor St. Francis of Assisi or whether the media made that assumption because he's the best known Francis in Catholic history. It really could go either way.

I'm not trying to definitively state that he chose his name from St. Francis Xavier, but it would be highly logical for a Jesuit to do that.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Our medias have also been speculating about Franz of Assisi but they said there was no confirmation by the Vatican. We will have to wait and see I guess.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Benedict explained his name choice on 27th April after his election, we may get an explanation from Francis next Tuesday.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Yes, I think you could be right - I assumed it was St francis of Assisi, but Wikipedia has mentioned St Francis Xavier, co-founder of the Jesuits. Either way, I think it is a nice name!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

The first jesuit ever, I'm very happy with that. I was educated in a school of jesuits!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
And I'd be interested in knowing whether that was confirmed by the Vatican- that the name was chosen to honor St. Francis of Assisi or whether the media made that assumption because he's the best known Francis in Catholic history. It really could go either way.

I'm not trying to definitively state that he chose his name from St. Francis Xavier, but it would be highly logical for a Jesuit to do that.
Pope named after Francis of Assisi heralded by gull atop Sistine chimney | World news | The Guardian

And according to CNN- Argentina's Bergoglio becomes Pope Francis – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
[Updated at 4:53 p.m. ET] We've just been given confirmation about which Francis the new pope is honoring in his choice of name.
The new pope took the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because he is a lover of the poor, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Tom Rosica told CNN.
Also, the new pope should be known as Pope Francis, not Pope Francis I, Rosica said.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Nobility

Felicitaciones a nuestros hermanos argentinos! I wish to Pope Francisco wisdom, strength and above all unwavering faith to separate the tares from the wheat in the Vatican. May he continue to be humble and inspire all the faithfull. May God bless him and guide him!