Vatican City State: The Conclave 12-14 March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's on telly now! He looks so tiny!

Good choice. I knew whoever was picked I was going to have some major disagreements with, but I'll say for this choice: He's a Jesuit and he's chosen to live a very simple, very humble life. That's a welcome change.

He looks very erm un-interested to me. He's just standing there.
He's talking to the crowd, that's good.

His parents were Italian emigrants maybe that influenced the decision of the Cardinals too. :)

You know that the duty of the conclave was to provide Rome with a Bishop, it looks like my brothers the cardinals went to fetch him from the end of the world. I would like to thank you, the community of Rome. It's Bishop, thank you. Above all I would like to pray for Benedict XVI. Let's pray all for him, to god. So he can look after him.

Lord's Prayer now.

Glory to the father son and the holy spirit, forever and ever Amen. And now, let's start working together, walking together in the church of Rome. Which is the one that presides over all the churches. This is the one that is of love, brotherhood. Let's pray for each other, for the entire world because there is great brotherhood in thr world. I hope that the path we are about to take that my brother will help, it will be fruitful for the evangelisation of this city. And now I would like to bless you. But I need to ask you a favour, before the Bishop blesses his people, I would like you to pray to god for him to bless me. Let's pray silently. You pray for me.

This wasn't Pope Francis - Our Father Francis, blesses all the people here who are prepared to recieved his blessings. Through (all forms of communication) let's pray to god almighty to keep our Pope for a long time to provide peace and unity throughout the church and world.

I am going to bless you all, and the the entire world. All the men and women of good will.

His speech, as quickly as I could type.

Last edited:
Pope Francis!

What an honour for Argentina,a Pope and a queen to be!

First Jesuit pope ever. That's pretty cool.

Argentine Bergoglio!

His Holiness Pope Francis I,Pontifex Maximus

What a man,friendly very much the Sheperd many hoped for i think..

Look at the crowds!!Just exillerating!!Wonderfull,a new elan for the Church no doubt!

Brothers and Sisters I am going to leave you, pray for me. Tomorrow I'm going to pray to the Madonna so she can (something to do with Rome) Goodnight and I wish you rest.

- missed the last bit of the speech.

A Papal resignation, the first Pope from Latin America.

Guys, I believe a new age has begun.

Thank you so much Lumutqueen for translating the Pope's words!

I am not a Catholic, but the events of this evening have resonated with me a great deal and I think I am very pleased with the new Pope. It appears that he is quite a humble man and lives with great humility and I wonder if that is why he has chosen the name of St Francis as his papal name? St Francis is my favourite Saint as he is often associated with birds and animals - and I just remebered that I was christened in a church called St Francis Church!
I do hope that he will instil greater humilty and simplicity into the Church and inspire people of all faiths (and none) to live simpler, more humble lives!

The media is mentioning St. Francis of Assisi, but given that the new pope is a Jesuit, I'm more likely to believe that his name is derived from St. Francis Xavier.

Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
The media is mentioning St. Francis of Assisi, but given that the new pope is a Jesuit, I'm more likely to believe that his name is derived from St. Francis Xavier.

The BBC said he had chosen his name from St Francis of Assisi.

The BBC said he had chosen his name from St Francis of Assisi.

Yes, the media's been speculating on that, but I don't believe it's been confirmed by the Vatican that this is where he derives his name from.

Just thinking logically, it makes sense that the first Jesuit pope would derive his name from a saint who was a Jesuit missionary and who holds special relevance to his order.

Yes, the media's been speculating on that, but I don't believe it's been confirmed by the Vatican that this is where he derives his name from.

When I listened to the BBC there was no speculation, it was "The new Pope has chosen his name in honour of St Francis of Assisi.

When I listened to the BBC there was no speculation, it was "The new Pope has chosen his name in honour of St Francis of Assisi.

And I'd be interested in knowing whether that was confirmed by the Vatican- that the name was chosen to honor St. Francis of Assisi or whether the media made that assumption because he's the best known Francis in Catholic history. It really could go either way.

I'm not trying to definitively state that he chose his name from St. Francis Xavier, but it would be highly logical for a Jesuit to do that.

Our medias have also been speculating about Franz of Assisi but they said there was no confirmation by the Vatican. We will have to wait and see I guess.

Benedict explained his name choice on 27th April after his election, we may get an explanation from Francis next Tuesday.

Yes, I think you could be right - I assumed it was St francis of Assisi, but Wikipedia has mentioned St Francis Xavier, co-founder of the Jesuits. Either way, I think it is a nice name!

The first jesuit ever, I'm very happy with that. I was educated in a school of jesuits!

And I'd be interested in knowing whether that was confirmed by the Vatican- that the name was chosen to honor St. Francis of Assisi or whether the media made that assumption because he's the best known Francis in Catholic history. It really could go either way.

I'm not trying to definitively state that he chose his name from St. Francis Xavier, but it would be highly logical for a Jesuit to do that.

Pope named after Francis of Assisi heralded by gull atop Sistine chimney | World news | The Guardian

And according to CNN- Argentina's Bergoglio becomes Pope Francis – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

[Updated at 4:53 p.m. ET] We've just been given confirmation about which Francis the new pope is honoring in his choice of name.
The new pope took the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because he is a lover of the poor, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Tom Rosica told CNN.
Also, the new pope should be known as Pope Francis, not Pope Francis I, Rosica said.

Felicitaciones a nuestros hermanos argentinos! I wish to Pope Francisco wisdom, strength and above all unwavering faith to separate the tares from the wheat in the Vatican. May he continue to be humble and inspire all the faithfull. May God bless him and guide him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom