Vatican City State: Pope Francis accession/Inauguration & Current Events:March 2013-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely he is simply Pope Francis, not Pope Francis I? There is no need for an ordinal until such time as there may be a second Pope Francis. Or am I wrong?

Seems to depend on personal choice of the new pontiff. I believe JP1st used the ordinal number, but on the Vatican website Francis does not have one and was not announced as Fransis 1st either.

Just saw some very happy people in Buenos Aires on the news!

It has just been officially announced by Lombardi that it is just Pope Franciscus and not Pope Franciscus I.

He sounded tired and looks old already - I wonder how long he will last? Electing a man in his mid-70s who doesn't look that much younger than the man he has replaced and who has taken on the cares of one of the most corrupt organisations in the world and one that is on the nose in large parts of the world due to the criminal actions of some of its members will only age him faster.

It is sad that the cardinals want to put a man of his age into this position instead of a younger man.

I do think that the rule should be that the elected pope has to be under 70 at election although cardinals can still vote up to 80.

Last edited:
I wonder which and how many royals we will see at the inaugural mass of Pope Francis? Luxembourg, Liechtenstein for sure, Spain - Queen Sofia, The PRince & Princess of Asturias, the Belgian Royal Family. Lots of royals i imagine

He sounded tired and looks old already - I wonder how long he will last? Electing a man in his mid-70s who doesn't look that much younger than the man he has replaced and who has taken on the cares of one of the most corrupt organisations in the world and one that is on the nose in large parts of the world due to the criminal actions of some of its members.

I totally agree with you. I was expecting Cardinal Scherer to be elect, he's just 63.

We'll see another Conclave within the next 10 years, either by death or resignation.

I totally agree with you. I was expecting Cardinal Scherer to be elect, he's just 63.

We'll see another Conclave within the next 10 years, either by death or resignation.

Given his age and reports that he only has one functioning lung, and the huge problems he will have to start to deal with, I also expect this will be a relatively short papacy. Perhaps VCS should consider opening a home for retired popes.

Given his age and reports that he only has one functioning lung, and the huge problems he will have to start to deal with, I also expect this will be a relatively short papacy. Perhaps VCS should consider opening a home for retired popes.

Maybe Cardinal Scherer still having a chance. This Papacy will be as short as the one of Benedict XVI.

I thought the Cardinals had learnt something.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have a short papacy.

LaRae

A quick succession of leaders will make no good for an institution who is passing through a period of instability.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is great that Francis I is of the Italian origin.

I believe be a Catholic is a good thing for a Pope.

He's ancestry is irrelevant.
Has non-Catholic Pope ever been elected?
Why is his Italian ancestry a great thing?
... because I wrote in the other thread that it was time for the Italian Pope. Well ... in this case the New Pontiff has got the Italian roots. Additionally he is a Jesuit. Jesuits are known for introducing intelligence agencies on a state level.

Emotions are running high like in any vulgar herd situation.

Last edited:
Well I wish Pope Francis a very long Papacy and much health and strength over the coming years. I don't think age has anything to do with it - by that reckoning we'd have done away with the Queen years ago!
Some humbleness, humility and simplicty won't do the church any harm and might do it some good for a change. Having a pope from outside Europe yet with European heritage is a good step in cautiously moving away from more traditional choice.

Pope is the head of the Catholic Church, so a non-catholic pope will not ever happen.
Francis I is the first Non-European ( albeit Italian ancestry)pope I believe and also the first Jesuit. Jesuits are a bit more moderate in their thinking. I had read somewhere the Cardinals deliberately didn't want someone too young, as they were looking to avoid a long papacy like we had with John Paul II.
It's very interesting times.

In fact, Peter, the first Pope was a Jew.

And another three Popes (Gegory VI, St. Gregory VII and Anacletus II) are claimed to have been Jews.

So, not all Popes were Catholics. Awkward.

I did a research since my last post.

Fair point.
However since the college of cardinals now elects the pope from within their own ranks, the Catholic Church would need to completely change the way a new pope is elected, and would no longer be from the College of Cardinals

Questions and comments:

We do not know that he only considders only Francis of Assisi as namesake. Francis Xavier was Jesuit and was the great evangelizer of the Church. Pope Francis mentioned evangelism in his initial address. I think he understands, the church must grow in a country to remain relevant. Hence the mention.

Does anyone know why he was know to have modernized the church in Argentina? I've read that and also read that he is dogmatically conservative. So how did he transform the Church in Argentina? That's an important question.

He has stood up to the government in Argentina. Is there anything known about his time in the curia that shows he will have a spine in that environment? Who are his close counselors and who is he likely to bring with him to serve in the curia? These are crucial questions.

I appreciated his inclusive words on the balcony today. He seems to understand the Church is a congregation of its followers rather than a bureaucracy in Rome. Lets hope he can help his brethren see that POV.

Hit reply too quickly...can't see them making that change!

Has non-Catholic Pope ever been elected?
... because I wrote in the other thread that it was time for the Italian Pope. Well ... in this case the New Pontiff has got the Italian roots. .

Well prior to 1978 they were pretty much all Italians, so it is not as if the Italians have missed out on the papacy. Regardless of his ancestry, which is irrelevant, I think it is a good thing that they have elected a non-European and someone with real life experience outside of Rome and The Vatican City.

Please excuse me for participating in a discussion which you consider emotional and vulgar. Heaven forbid!!

In fact, Peter, the first Pope was a Jew.
And another three Popes (Gegory VI, St. Gregory VII and Anacletus II) are claimed to have been Jews.
All the Popes were Catholics. Catholicism is a Religion, not an ethnicity.

All the Popes were Catholics. Catholicism is a Religion, not an ethnicity.

Well, I can say nothing about the Gregories and Anacletus, but Pope Peter was a Jew, both in the Religious and in Ethnic sense.

I´m not a fervorous Catholic, but I like the new Pope. Somehow I think he´s just what the Chruch needs before undertake other changes: an humble, simple man, far from extravagances and luxury and next to the poor ones.

Coming back to the Catholic Church essence, before reforming it and adapting to the new times.

Also love the name he´s chosen, both the fact of its uniqueness and its meaning. I don´t care if it was chosen after St. Francis Xavier, an evangelist, or St. Francis of Assissi, the saint of the poorest (and of the animals, too), since both them are IMO a great reference on their own. And his speech has been very touching, close and kind (as it should be). I laughed because a man on the Spanish TV has said that he convinced everyone as soon as he started to talk "as expected, since he´s Argentinian" :lol: (That´s so very true :D).

Good luck to Pope Francis! He´s going to need it ;)

Last edited:
He is not the first pope born outside of Europe, the last was Gregory III 1200 years ago, he was Syrian.

I know he has got slack from the Argetinan government for his comments on homosexual marriage, and calling same sex adoption discrimination against the children.

Last edited:
Well, I can say nothing about the Gregories and Anacletus, but Pope Peter was a Jew, both in the Religious and in Ethnic sense.

Saint Peter, just after the death and ressurection of Jesus Christ, was one of the leaders of the Jewish Christian movement. At that time, there was not a "Catholic Church" (the denomination Catholic came around much later). But I undestand that this Jewish Christian movement began to become Universal (Catholic) from the moment the apostles started to spread around the world. Saint Peter himself was in Antioch and Corinth (among other places) before coming to Rome and was instrumental in the decision to evangelise the Gentiles (with Saint Paul, of course).
Thus the Jewish Christian movement turned into "Chistianity" when it became Universal and open to the gentiles.
So, if not "Catholic" (stricto sensu), Peter died as "Christian" and not "Jewish Christian".

He is not the first pope born outside of Europe, the last was Gregory III 1200 years ago, he was Syrian.
But he is the first pope from the New World, before him all of the popes have been from the Old World (Europe, Africa and Asia). It took the Catholic church 500 years to choose someone from the "newly" discovered continents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom