Vatican City State: Pope Francis accession/Inauguration & Current Events:March 2013-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah well. The honeymoon with the press and public enjoyed by His Holiness up to recently will probably evaporate very quickly after this.:whistling:

That's been coming for months...his welcome is wearing thin.

Especially since he has recently reiterated and reconfirmed Church teaching on abortion and same-sex marriages.

Yep. The "Pope Francis is a pope I could love" trend is probably going to be gone with the wind very soon, just as I predicted months ago would happen when it is revealed that he is not going to be reversing basic Catholic doctrine.:cool:

Especially since he has recently reiterated and reconfirmed Church teaching on abortion and same-sex marriages.

Yep. The "Pope Francis is a pope I could love" trend is probably going to be gone with the wind very soon, just as I predicted months ago would happen when it is revealed that he is not going to be reversing basic Catholic doctrine.:cool:

:previous:
Recently a journalist on the radio who holds a weekly column outed his dissapointment about the pope. He expected him to change the teaching on human dignity and same-sex marriage, and also tought he would ordain the first woman-priest. And then he realized he's a catholic pope who thinks the same as Pope Benedict, Pope John Paul and the others... I almost felt bad for him "falling from cloud nine" ;)

Did this journalist really think that the Roman pontiff would come in and presto chang-o give the green light to things that have been forbidden for 2,000 years...just like that??

As for wanting Francis to"change the teaching on human dignity"...what does that even mean? That it should no longer teach-as it does-that every human being is created in the image of God and that for that reason each human life is precious and sacred?

Sorry, but it beggars belief that people could be that dumb. I said from the beginning that any changes at the Vatican were all superficial matters of style and presentation, and a relaxing of protocol. That is all it will ever be.

Jorge Mario Bergoglio was brought out of obscurity and elevated to the College of Cardinals by none other than John Paul II. Let that sink in for a moment before allowing yourself to fantasize that he is a doctrinal leftist!

Last edited:
Recently a journalist on the radio who holds a weekly column outed his dissapointment about the pope. He expected him to change the teaching on human dignity and same-sex marriage, and also tought he would ordain the first woman-priest. And then he realized he's a catholic pope who thinks the same as Pope Benedict, Pope John Paul and the others... I almost felt bad for him "falling from cloud nine" ;)

The wailing and gnashing of teeth is being heard from some of the more heterdox Catholics here.

LaRae

Pope Francis: 'You cannot make fun of the faith of others' - Telegraph

Shall the media really let him get away with this too. I miss the kind, warm, humble and gentle Benedict.

Well, freedom of speech should allow him to say this. I think it is fair to say that Freedom of speech comes with responsibility and that none of us is free to say just what we like. There are rules (even on Royal Forums!). I think it is reasonable for him to say this as the Leader of the Catholic Faith.

Well, freedom of speech should allow him to say this. I think it is fair to say that Freedom of speech comes with responsibility and that none of us is free to say just what we like. There are rules (even on Royal Forums!). I think it is reasonable for him to say this as the Leader of the Catholic Faith.

He has the right to say it, and of course freedom of speech comes with responsibility and none of us is free to say exactly what we want, but I and several others find it very offending that he said it's okay for people to use violence if someone insults your family.

The Pope said: “If my good friend Dr Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch in the nose.”

He made that statement in the context of a joke. And he made that clear, immediately.

The gist of his comments are that with freedom comes responsibility. Something that Benedict XVI always asserted in a much more uncompromising manner than Francis...and was usually condemned for it.

Last edited:

I agree. IMO the Pope is reminding everyone that freedom speech is no free of responsibility for actions/words.

He made that statement in the context of a joke. And he made that clear, immediately.

The gist of his comments are that with freedom comes responsibility. Something that Benedict XVI always asserted in a much more uncompromising manner than Francis...and was usually condemned for it.

I and others have the right to be offended over it, and you and others have the right to not be offended over it.

I read the article in full, twice. What was so objectionable about what he said?

As did I and I'm not sure why I'm surprised some are upset about a comment he made in a joking manner.

Personally, and after also reading his comments to my Parents, we all had the same reaction. It's about time someone who is considered a major and important person in this World of ours said this!! Honestly, and yet another example of it dying, it's just plain common sense what he was saying and nothing he said wasn't anything that me, my Parents and my Cousins who were staying w/us this week after his Mom died, didn't say ourselves when talking about the attacks.

And no, the comment HH made jokingly was not a part of what we talked about, but I've done something like that when I thought it would help get my point across in a non aggressive manner and that is all the Pope meant. For those willing to see it in the manner intended that is.

As HH was trying to get across, free speech has responsibilities. Part of that is knowing when satire goes too far. They knew what they doing at Charlie Hebbdo, it had been explained to them just why it was so insulting to Muslim people, and in turn got them targeted by the extremists, but they kept on doing it anyway. I am not saying they deserved what happened. Never that.

It scares me though how many people these days seem to think they can say whatever they want, regardless of the circumstances, and when the predictable reaction happens? " Well, it's a free society and I have the Right To Free Speech."

Wrong!!

Free Speech is not a right. It is a privilege and as w/most privileges, comes certain responsibilities and one of those is being able to know when to stop and think first. There is a huge difference between what is actually funny/going after certain sacred cows in a satirical manner and saying or printing something that disrespects a major....representation (couldn't think of another way to say it) of one of the World's Major religions. Especially after being told just why it is so upsetting, going ahead to continue to disrespect and insult that Religion and those who are of the Muslim faith under the shield of "Free Speech"? That's not satire, or funny, but a sad example of a direction this World of ours is headed down that scares me.

*That* is what the Pope was trying to get across today and I say once again it is about time someone w/his stature in the World said it!! That some are focusing on one little part of his comments that were taken out of context and getting boiling mad... Not only boggles my mind, but proves my point and is sad IMO.

BTW, I will take Pope Francis, a Pope who openly shows his humanity and walks his talk, over a Pope who dealt w/several scandals by doing nothing *and* actually defending some of those....critter creatures who are now proven Pedophiles, any day and twice on Sunday. And I'm not even Catholic. :)

I hope what I just said makes sense, as it's been a long and stressful few days here and I'm really tired. It's just I was so glad to see the Pope stood up and said what he did. It needed to be said too sadly.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

As did I and I'm not sure why I'm surprised some are upset about a comment he made in a joking manner.

Personally, and after also reading his comments to my Parents, we all had the same reaction. It's about time someone who is considered a major and important person in this World of ours said this!! Honestly, and yet another example of it dying, it's just plain common sense what he was saying and nothing he said wasn't anything that me, my Parents and my Cousins who were staying w/us this week after his Mom died, didn't say ourselves when talking about the attacks.

And no, the comment HH made jokingly was not a part of what we talked about, but I've done something like that when I thought it would help get my point across in a non aggressive manner and that is all the Pope meant. For those willing to see it in the manner intended that is.

As HH was trying to get across, free speech has responsibilities. Part of that is knowing when satire goes too far. They knew what they doing at Charlie Hebbdo, it had been explained to them just why it was so insulting to Muslim people, and in turn got them targeted by the extremists, but they kept on doing it anyway. I am not saying they deserved what happened. Never that.

It scares me though how many people these days seem to think they can say whatever they want, regardless of the circumstances, and when the predictable reaction happens? " Well, it's a free society and I have the Right To Free Speech."

Wrong!!

Free Speech is not a right. It is a privilege and as w/most privileges, comes certain responsibilities and one of those is being able to know when to stop and think first. There is a huge difference between what is actually funny/going after certain sacred cows in a satirical manner and saying or printing something that disrespects a major....representation (couldn't think of another way to say it) of one of the World's Major religions. Especially after being told just why it is so upsetting, going ahead to continue to disrespect and insult that Religion and those who are of the Muslim faith under the shield of "Free Speech"? That's not satire, or funny, but a sad example of a direction this World of ours is headed down that scares me.

*That* is what the Pope was trying to get across today and I say once again it is about time someone w/his stature in the World said it!! That some are focusing on one little part of his comments that were taken out of context and getting boiling mad... Not only boggles my mind, but proves my point and is sad IMO.

Totally agree

BTW, I will take Pope Francis, a Pope who openly shows his humanity and walks his talk, over a Pope who dealt w/several scandals by doing nothing *and* actually defending some of those....critter creatures who are now proven Pedophiles, any day and twice on Sunday. And I'm not even Catholic. :)

If you mean to attack pope Benedict here, he's the pope who changed the church and sorted the problem of pedophily in the church :ermm: (don't always believe what the media want you to think ;) )

Lets not go off topic and keep this thread on the right path which is Pope Francis Current Events

Lets not go off topic and keep this thread on the right path which is Pope Francis Current Events

But there is no other thread where we can discuss this.

The Norwegian part of my family are Catholics and I am very interested in the papacy and its role in the modern world.

I agree with much of what Pope Francis says, and I understand that people get touched when they sees him kiss children, the sick and the disabled, but I don't like the way he treated young priests in Argentina before he became pope, or the way he treats people who don't agree with him. He is also very strong person, and has said that he is only afraid of himself.

I consider myself liberal in many important questions and I disagree with Benedict XVI in both homosexuality and contraception, but I miss his humility and kindness. Benedict XVI was shy and very intellectual, but he was also known for his kindness, his humility and gentleness before he resigned as pope. He kissed children, the sick and the disabled until he was too frail to do it. He visited hospitals, homes for the elderly and sick children and was equally concerned by poverty and peace as Pope Francis.

The problem was that he become very frail in the last three years of his pontificate, he was isolated and depressed and surrounded by people who thought most about themselves, they even tried to persuade him to toe remain as pope.

I will take Pope Francis, a Pope who openly shows his humanity and walks his talk, over a Pope who dealt w/several scandals by doing nothing *and* actually defending some of those....critter creatures who are now proven Pedophiles, any day and twice on Sunday. And I'm not even Catholic. :)

This shows that you don't have much knowledge of Benedict XVI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom