The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.H.The Pope gives Cape Verde's prime minister an Angel of Peace medallion at the Vatican

Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.H.The Pope meets with the Liberian President at the Vatican.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.The King of Jordan visits H.H.The Pope

Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Pope Francis to preside all major ceremonies for Holy Week

Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Don't know where you got your info about papal infallibility and how things work in changing things within the Church but it's in error.

Your understanding of pope Francis's position on homosexual actions may be in error as well....not sure what you actually think he said. Pope Benedict ...I would like to see a link to those remarks because I am pretty sure you are not quoting him accurately.

None of the popes you mentioned have said homosexual acts are natural...not sure where you heard that one either.

LaRae

Papal infallibility doctrine comes from a papal bull issued in the last quarter of the 19th century.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Rodin in Rome: when marble comes to life

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here in the US, our long running prime time News show, 60 minutes did a piece on Pope Francis.

This links to the text of the show and to video links as well. They spoke to people who know him, were and still are friends. See what you think. The most surprising thing to me is the change they see in their friend - that he has taken on the role of hope-bringer since his election.

Pope Francis' first year filled with surprises - CBS News
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.H.The Pope celebrates Palm Sunday at the Vatican

PPE

PPE Agency
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Papal infallibility doctrine comes from a papal bull issued in the last quarter of the 19th century, and it's been used as an excuse for the Church's complicity in genocide on at least one occasion- Rwanda 1994 (and before anyone asks about the verifiability of my last claim, see the example of Wenceslas Muyeshyaka). See Philip Gourevitch's book (We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families) pages 307-318.
The papal infallibility was used only once : in 1950 for the dogma of Assumption. This doctrine doesn't come from a papal bull, but from Council Vatican I.

https://www.ewtn.com/library/COUNCILS/V1.HTM
Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
The papal infallibility was used only once : in 1950 for the dogma of Assumption. This doctrine doesn't come from a papal bull, but from Council Vatican I.

https://www.ewtn.com/library/COUNCILS/V1.HTM

Actually I was wrong-it can be traced to as early as the 13th century: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_Infallibility

But you are mistaken that it was only used in the mid-20th century. That may be when it was "officially" used, but it has been invoked unofficially several times and can be linked to several other incidents as well (for instance, some historians argue that it was made harder for Germans and Italians during the Second World War to resist the regimes of Hitler and Mussolini because of the Lateran Accords and the Reichskonkordat).

And I've heard the argument that the Church isn't responsible for things argued in its name--that's complete bunk. The Church's silence on many issues continues to stand in my mind as some of the greatest crimes in human history, rendering the Church's so-called moral high ground absolutely moot.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Papal infallibility, misunderstood by so many people both inside and outside the R.C. Church, might have only been formally promulgated in 1950 but it has been part of the core teaching of the Church from the very beginning of it's existence. It states, quite simply that when the Supreme Pontiff is teaching formally in his capacity as a direct successor to the Apostle Peter he is protected from error by the Holy Spirit. It's an explicit promise from Christ Himself, set forth in St. Matthew's Gospel("He who hears YOU HEARS ME") It does not suggest that the Pope is free from personal sin. It does not mean that every opinion of his is infallible. It doesn't even mean that he is necessarily a good person. BTW, the early Church Fathers such as St. Clement, St. Polycarp-a direct disciple of John the Evangelist- Tertullian and St. Irenaeus of Lyons discuss the primacy/ infallibility of the Bishop of Rome and his successors as early as the FIRST CENTURY A.D. in writings such as "Against Heresies", and other early Church documents that can be quite easily accessed at any local library or online-

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/peters-primacy.

The idea that papal infallibility is something that a bunch of power grabbing clerics invented in the Middle Ages is quite frankly a subjective opinion, not completely supported by fact. It was NEVER invoked in Europe during WWII, formally or informally, to support any collusion, real or imagined ,with the Axis or Hitler. Ditto with Rwanda in the 1990's. Again, a pope or priest giving his opinion on something is not how papal infallibility works at all. Neither can a pope's silence on a matter necessarily be construed as approval of it.

The poster who stated that the doctrine of papal infallibility has only been invoked once in the 20th century(the Assumption of the Mother of God, 1950) was 100% correct.

Finally, I can't understand why a thread that is supposed to exist solely for the purpose of discussing the day to day schedule of the pope so often turns to an occasion for anti-Catholic posters to vent. Why don't we have such a thread for posters with an axe to grind against Islam, Judaism, New Age religion, and evangelical Protestantism?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Courtier

Vatican City State: Pope Francis accession, inauguration: March 2013-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Papal infallibility, misunderstood by so many people both inside and outside the R.C. Church, might have only been formally promulgated in 1950 but it has been part of the core teaching of the Church from the very beginning of it's existence. It states, quite simply that when the Supreme Pontiff is teaching formally in his capacity as a direct successor to the Apostle Peter he is protected from error by the Holy Spirit. It's an explicit promise from Christ Himself, set forth in St. Matthew's Gospel("He who hears YOU HEARS ME") It does not suggest that the Pope is free from personal sin. It does not mean that every opinion of his is infallible. It doesn't even mean that he is necessarily a good person. BTW, the early Church Fathers such as St. Clement, St. Polycarp-a direct disciple of John the Evangelist- Tertullian and St. Irenaeus of Lyons discuss the primacy/ infallibility of the Bishop of Rome and his successors as early as the FIRST CENTURY A.D. in writings such as "Against Heresies", and other early Church documents that can be quite easily accessed at any local library or online-

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/peters-primacy.

The idea that papal infallibility is something that a bunch of power grabbing clerics invented in the Middle Ages is quite frankly a subjective opinion, not completely supported by fact. It was NEVER invoked in Europe during WWII, formally or informally, to support any collusion, real or imagined ,with the Axis or Hitler. Ditto with Rwanda in the 1990's. Again, a pope or priest giving his opinion on something is not how papal infallibility works at all. Neither can a pope's silence on a matter necessarily be construed as approval of it.

The poster who stated that the doctrine of papal infallibility has only been invoked once in the 20th century(the Assumption of the Mother of God, 1950) was 100% correct.

You're right that the doctrine wasn't directly invoked in WW2, but my original post conceded that.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Actually I was wrong-it can be traced to as early as the 13th century: Papal infallibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you are mistaken that it was only used in the mid-20th century. That may be when it was "officially" used, but it has been invoked unofficially several times (for instance, in Rwanda, per my previous post) and can be linked to several other incidents as well (for instance, some historians argue that it was made harder for Germans and Italians during the Second World War to resist the regimes of Hitler and Mussolini because of the Lateran Accords and the Reichskonkordat).

And I've heard the argument that the Church isn't responsible for things argued in its name--that's complete bunk. The Church's silence on many issues continues to stand in my mind as some of the greatest crimes in human history, rendering the Church's so-called moral high ground absolutely moot.

You aren't even making sense. I think you need to check your sources out a bit better or you need to connect the dots because you aren't making a case to support your claims by tossing out vague comments about a connection or a reason why X happened is due to papal infallibility.

LaRae
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

His Holiness Pope Francis will W South Korea in August

Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You're right that the doctrine wasn't directly invoked in WW2, but my original post conceded that.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
I'm sorry. All that statement confirms is that that particular "official" was ignorant about the Vatican in general, and about papal infallibility in particular. His statement doesn't even make sense.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

As someone who is not a Roman Catholic might I suggest that it is easier to stick with the reign of the current Pope at any one time as, just like Monarchs, Presidents and Prime Ministers, they are all different people than their predessors.

This thread is related to the Papacy of Pope Francis who, as far as I can see, has his feet firmly planted on mother earth and his heart in his faith in God. Arguing about genocides that occurred under any one Pope who was deemed to have done nothing to prevent it or to have colluded with it leave the argument open as to the position of every other leader of faith or of country.

Basically it just plain hijacks this thread and at this time, Maundy Thursday, the faithful of the RC and Protestant churches are heading into the anniversary of the defining point of their faith, Easter. Could we let them do so with faith and grace instead of anger and acrimony?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Pope Francis, as well as other popes in "his organization", including the much maligned Benedict XVI, have many times apologized and asked for forgiveness for the times the Church has fallen short or failed in her mission. This Catholic global apology tour has at various times included the Holocaust, the crisis of pedophile priests, and the Spanish Inquisition. By the way,John Paul II was the first world leader to refer to the violence in Rwanda as a genocide.

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/world-news/detail/articolo/rwanda-ruanda-wojtyla-31117/

I would love it if Francis addressed the tragic anniversary of the genocide during this anniversary month. Any Catholic clergy guilty or complicit in the genocide should have been excommunicated long ago, imo.

But mark my words.. even if the pope does apologize for Rwanda, it will never be enough for some. They will demand that the Church then "atone" for everyone afflicted by or dead of AIDS. Then for the mental anguish caused by overly strict nuns in parochial schools. Or for having their rights to freedom of sexual expression denied when they were taught that fornication is a sin.

I am exaggerating for effect, but it will never ever be enough.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

This thread has spiralled out of control and will be closed pending a Moderator Review .

This thread has been tidied up,please refrain from turning this thread into a Religious debate or a place to vent anger at The Roman Catholic Church or any other Faith/Religion.Several posts which are off topic and against the forum rules have been edited & deleted.

The title of the thread is 'Pope Francis Accession, inauguration' any further off topic posts will be deleted without warning!

If posters are unfamiliar will the rules of the forum please see this link.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ork&page=rules

Old 04-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.H.Pope gives two school children a ride on board the Popemobile

H.H.Pope Francis washes feet of 12 elderly and disabled people on Holy Thursday.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Pope Francis has a new personal secretary, Coptic Catholic priest Yoannis Lahzi Gaid who now works at the Vatican\'s Secretariat of State.

Tags
cardinal jorge mario bergoglio, francis i, pope francis, vatican city state

« Kingdom of Tonga | - »