The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Serene Highness

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have a short papacy.

LaRae

Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Serene Highness

A quick succession of leaders will make no good for an institution who is passing through a period of instability.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

It is great that Francis I is of the Italian origin.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Why is his Italian ancestry a great thing?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I believe be a Catholic is a good thing for a Pope.

He's ancestry is irrelevant.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I believe be a Catholic is a good thing for a Pope.

He's ancestry is irrelevant.
Has non-Catholic Pope ever been elected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Why is his Italian ancestry a great thing?
... because I wrote in the other thread that it was time for the Italian Pope. Well ... in this case the New Pontiff has got the Italian roots. Additionally he is a Jesuit. Jesuits are known for introducing intelligence agencies on a state level.

Emotions are running high like in any vulgar herd situation.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Well I wish Pope Francis a very long Papacy and much health and strength over the coming years. I don't think age has anything to do with it - by that reckoning we'd have done away with the Queen years ago!
Some humbleness, humility and simplicty won't do the church any harm and might do it some good for a change. Having a pope from outside Europe yet with European heritage is a good step in cautiously moving away from more traditional choice.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
As far as I know, no.

But I don't get the point that be a Italian is a great thing for a Pope.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Aristocracy

Pope is the head of the Catholic Church, so a non-catholic pope will not ever happen.
Francis I is the first Non-European ( albeit Italian ancestry)pope I believe and also the first Jesuit. Jesuits are a bit more moderate in their thinking. I had read somewhere the Cardinals deliberately didn't want someone too young, as they were looking to avoid a long papacy like we had with John Paul II.
It's very interesting times.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

In fact, Peter, the first Pope was a Jew.

And another three Popes (Gegory VI, St. Gregory VII and Anacletus II) are claimed to have been Jews.

So, not all Popes were Catholics. Awkward.

I did a research since my last post.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Aristocracy

Fair point.
However since the college of cardinals now elects the pope from within their own ranks, the Catholic Church would need to completely change the way a new pope is elected, and would no longer be from the College of Cardinals
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Questions and comments:

We do not know that he only considders only Francis of Assisi as namesake. Francis Xavier was Jesuit and was the great evangelizer of the Church. Pope Francis mentioned evangelism in his initial address. I think he understands, the church must grow in a country to remain relevant. Hence the mention.

Does anyone know why he was know to have modernized the church in Argentina? I've read that and also read that he is dogmatically conservative. So how did he transform the Church in Argentina? That's an important question.

He has stood up to the government in Argentina. Is there anything known about his time in the curia that shows he will have a spine in that environment? Who are his close counselors and who is he likely to bring with him to serve in the curia? These are crucial questions.

I appreciated his inclusive words on the balcony today. He seems to understand the Church is a congregation of its followers rather than a bureaucracy in Rome. Lets hope he can help his brethren see that POV.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Aristocracy

Hit reply too quickly...can't see them making that change!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
... because I wrote in the other thread that it was time for the Italian Pope. Well ... in this case the New Pontiff has got the Italian roots. .
Well prior to 1978 they were pretty much all Italians, so it is not as if the Italians have missed out on the papacy. Regardless of his ancestry, which is irrelevant, I think it is a good thing that they have elected a non-European and someone with real life experience outside of Rome and The Vatican City.

Please excuse me for participating in a discussion which you consider emotional and vulgar. Heaven forbid!!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
In fact, Peter, the first Pope was a Jew.
And another three Popes (Gegory VI, St. Gregory VII and Anacletus II) are claimed to have been Jews.
All the Popes were Catholics. Catholicism is a Religion, not an ethnicity.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
All the Popes were Catholics. Catholicism is a Religion, not an ethnicity.
Well, I can say nothing about the Gregories and Anacletus, but Pope Peter was a Jew, both in the Religious and in Ethnic sense.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I´m not a fervorous Catholic, but I like the new Pope. Somehow I think he´s just what the Chruch needs before undertake other changes: an humble, simple man, far from extravagances and luxury and next to the poor ones.

Coming back to the Catholic Church essence, before reforming it and adapting to the new times.

Also love the name he´s chosen, both the fact of its uniqueness and its meaning. I don´t care if it was chosen after St. Francis Xavier, an evangelist, or St. Francis of Assissi, the saint of the poorest (and of the animals, too), since both them are IMO a great reference on their own. And his speech has been very touching, close and kind (as it should be). I laughed because a man on the Spanish TV has said that he convinced everyone as soon as he started to talk "as expected, since he´s Argentinian" (That´s so very true ).

Good luck to Pope Francis! He´s going to need it

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Nobility

He is not the first pope born outside of Europe, the last was Gregory III 1200 years ago, he was Syrian.

I know he has got slack from the Argetinan government for his comments on homosexual marriage, and calling same sex adoption discrimination against the children.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Well, I can say nothing about the Gregories and Anacletus, but Pope Peter was a Jew, both in the Religious and in Ethnic sense.
Saint Peter, just after the death and ressurection of Jesus Christ, was one of the leaders of the Jewish Christian movement. At that time, there was not a "Catholic Church" (the denomination Catholic came around much later). But I undestand that this Jewish Christian movement began to become Universal (Catholic) from the moment the apostles started to spread around the world. Saint Peter himself was in Antioch and Corinth (among other places) before coming to Rome and was instrumental in the decision to evangelise the Gentiles (with Saint Paul, of course).
Thus the Jewish Christian movement turned into "Chistianity" when it became Universal and open to the gentiles.
So, if not "Catholic" (stricto sensu), Peter died as "Christian" and not "Jewish Christian".
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
He is not the first pope born outside of Europe, the last was Gregory III 1200 years ago, he was Syrian.
But he is the first pope from the New World, before him all of the popes have been from the Old World (Europe, Africa and Asia). It took the Catholic church 500 years to choose someone from the "newly" discovered continents.

Tags
cardinal jorge mario bergoglio, francis i, pope francis, vatican city state

« Kingdom of Lesotho | - »