The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Frankly, I prefer how HH phrased it "Who am I to judge" which is contrary to how so many Christians view their fellow man.

Poll: Two-Thirds of U.S. Catholics Agree that the Church Focuses Too Much on Homosexuality| Gay News | Towleroad

We are to judge their actions, not the person themselves.

LaRae

Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness

There is a reason the Jesuit order was suppressed way back when. Most orthodox Catholics are a bit wary of HH Pope Francis...but I think some of the things he says have been taken out of context.

He's already excommunicated at least one Australian priest for his support of things contrary to Church teaching.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Serene Highness

Hermione, what I know of it is this, that you are correct that the Pope is not leftist, but is of the academic backbone of the Church, and not wishy washy like some "progressives".
His thought is very "learned" and thus is open to misinterpretation by those who are not themselves learned.
I have had some dealings with Jesuits since college days. My town was heavily Jesuit in staffing the inner city churches. I know their negative side. The Pope, I think, personifies their positive side. I can easily support him. I am no longer an active Catholic (saw too much bad in my earlier life) but I have great sympathy for a man who combines deep learning with humility and the joy of Christ. He has an enormous job and will be opposed. God bless him. He is probably a saint. Some Protestants think he is the "False Prophet" because of his so-called leftist views, but these have been misinterpreted. Huckabee tonight (on his Fox talk show) expressed this perfectly. (Huckabee is a Baptist, and his views are like those of Pope Francis. I supported Huckabee for our President but "money" won the nomination for someone else.)
Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't mean to imply that leftists are uninformed- on the contrary, most of the leftists I know are passionately involved in civic affairs and quite informed. I just meant that the pope is not a leftist, and he hadn't made any major shifts to church theology, just simple shifts in where the church is focused. If you're paying attention, you'll note he hasn't actually changed any of the church's teachings, he's just suggested that caring for the poor and ministering to the sick is more important than trying to force church orthodoxy on everyone.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I didn't mean to imply that leftists are uninformed- on the contrary, most of the leftists I know are passionately involved in civic affairs and quite informed. I just meant that the pope is not a leftist, and he hadn't made any major shifts to church theology, just simple shifts in where the church is focused. If you're paying attention, you'll note he hasn't actually changed any of the church's teachings, he's just suggested that caring for the poor and ministering to the sick is more important than trying to force church orthodoxy on everyone.
That is what I find so refreshing and admirable about this Pope as opposed to his 2 immediate predecessors who seemed more concerned about peoples private lives than the lives of those in need in the world. Francis talks in more positive terms about people while JPII and Benedict XVI spoke more about negatives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24391800

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...rldliness.html

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/1...es/?hpt=hp_bn1

I wonder how far he will be allowed to go in his reforms in order to achieve a poor church for poor people.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post

That is what I find so refreshing and admirable about this Pope as opposed to his 2 immediate predecessors who seemed more concerned about peoples private lives than the lives of those in need in the world. Francis talks in more positive terms about people while JPII and Benedict XVI spoke more about negatives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24391800

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...rldliness.html

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/1...es/?hpt=hp_bn1

I wonder how far he will be allowed to go in his reforms in order to achieve a poor church for poor people.
I agree totally and feel he will be one of the greatest popes of our time.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Majesty

" The secret of Christian living is love"...Pope Francis.

Our man at it again this morning!What a total breath of fresh air he is!!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

" The secret of Christian living is love"...Pope Francis.

Our man at it again this morning!What a total breath of fresh air he is!!
Indeed what a tremendous improvement over the last two popes. Now if we could get him on the page of ordaining women as priests he would be perfect!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Indeed what a tremendous improvement over the last two popes. Now if we could get him on the page of ordaining women as priests he would be perfect!
Honestly I see the RCC permitting married men to become parish priests (Like the Orthodox churches) before ordaining women.

IMVHO John Paul II and Benedict had very different focuses during their respective Papacies. JPII was obviously influenced by his life under Nazi and Communist rule and understood how the people's lives were affected when living under dictatorships. He played a pivotal role in ending Communist control in Eastern Europe during his decades long reign. Benedict always seemed to be the "caretaker" who understood that his reign would be short.

I'm happy to see Pope Francis taking on the challenges facing the currently facing the RCC and the world as he sees it.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Pope Francis writes message to Argentine President,Cristina Kirchner following her recent surgery.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Honestly I see the RCC permitting married men to become parish priests (Like the Orthodox churches) before ordaining women.

IMVHO John Paul II and Benedict had very different focuses during their respective Papacies. JPII was obviously influenced by his life under Nazi and Communist rule and understood how the people's lives were affected when living under dictatorships. He played a pivotal role in ending Communist control in Eastern Europe during his decades long reign. Benedict always seemed to be the "caretaker" who understood that his reign would be short.

I'm happy to see Pope Francis taking on the challenges facing the currently facing the RCC and the world as he sees it.
There are already married clergy in the Catholic Church, the are mostly found in the Eastern Rites but there are some within the Roman Rite as well...and have been for a long time.

As to the other poster commenting about women priestesses....Pope Francis has just excommunicated a priest who supports women's ordination and he also has spoken out against it. Past that it doesn't matter what pope it is, they can't change that teaching of the Church, pope JPII finalized that issue.

LaRae
Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
There are already married clergy in the Catholic Church, the are mostly found in the Eastern Rites but there are some within the Roman Rite as well...and have been for a long time.

As to the other poster commenting about women priestesses....Pope Francis has just excommunicated a priest who supports women's ordination and he also has spoken out against it. Past that it doesn't matter what pope it is, they can't change that teaching of the Church, pope JPII finalized that issue

LaRae
Married former Anglican priests are being allowed in too.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofMontpelier View Post
I agree totally and feel he will be one of the greatest popes of our time.
It is amazing how different the approach is when the pope has an external focus (for the good of mankind) rather than an internal focus (for the good of the organization).
I totally get that the Church sees sees its role is to forgive sinners. I just have never understood why, in our times, they still think the state has no say in criminal actions of the ordained. If the regular people of the church can be prosecuted for crimes, then why not the clergy?

This Pope gets it. How refreshing.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Married former Anglican priests are being allowed in too.

That's where most of the married clergy come in from, Reformation Churches.

LaRae
Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

That's where most of the married clergy come in from, Reformation Churches.

LaRae
And Africa, where the church quietly winks their eye at it.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is no such thing as Priestesses, sounds like some pagan ritual. Women are Priests, ministers and rabbis, in many dominations. Women are the same as men in the eyes of God. Many of this junk is manmade prejudice, which is being rectified in may denominations. You cannot support people and not support equal rights for women.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness

I could say I'm the queen of England but that doesn't make me her.

Being equal in human dignity does not mean we can/should do everything a man does or if a man, a woman does. It does not make women any less equal to be unable to receive the Sacrament of Ordination than it does for men to be unable to give birth. Being a priest, it's more than just a title than you take for yourself.

We have been given different roles. It's got nothing to do with prejudice and everything to do with the nature God gave us.

LaRae
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I could say I'm the queen of England but that doesn't make me her. Being equal in human dignity does not mean we can/should do everything a man does or if a man, a woman does. It does not make women any less equal to be unable to receive the Sacrament of Ordination than it does for men to be unable to give birth. Being a priest, it's more than just a title than you take for yourself. We have been given different roles. It's got nothing to do with prejudice and everything to do with the nature God gave us. LaRae
Nope, it mostly has to do with several thousand years of gender essentialism and patriarchy, not with God.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Nope, it mostly has to do with several thousand years of gender essentialism and patriarchy, not with God.
Right on the mark. Not a real reason, just one men made up centuries ago and has ben adhered to for their autonomy. Other religions realize how patronizing and foolish this is. I think Francis is one heck of guy. He sees the manmade nonsense is so many things. But here he can skip. Too bad. For the church and for the women who will leave.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 AM
Serene Highness

God is the one who set it up as it is. Jesus ordained no men.

If women leave because they aren't getting their way then they have no idea why they are going to Mass to begin with.

LaRae

Tags
cardinal jorge mario bergoglio, francis i, pope francis, vatican city state

« Kingdom of Tonga | - »