Vatican City State: Pope Francis accession/Inauguration & Current Events:March 2013-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thank you for the clarification. I have a friend who is a member of one of the two and has(unsuccessfully) been trying to get me to go to church with him for over a decade. I will check with him next time he calls to find out which one he is a member of.

For the record I like the new pope, but I also liked and admired Benedict XVI very much. Unlike JPII, one does not need to be a saint, a religious mystic or an intellectual genius to understand his writings, which is fortunate as I am very far from any one of those.:whistling:

I hear ya...I very much preferred the style and writings (when it comes to ability to easily understand) of BXVI as opposed to JPII. BXVI's writings on Christ (several books) were wonderful! I really liked Spe Salvi ...I recommended it to a few Protestant friends who also enjoyed it.

SSPV are considered sedes (sedevacantists). Layity are actually allowed to attend SSPX Masses provided they do so out of a desire to be involved in Latin Mass and not in order to be disobedient. I was very hopeful when BXVI was pope that they would fully reconcile...they had a few talks and came pretty close...they did make some ground up at least.

By the way if you have not read Louis De Wohl's books on various lives of saints you MUST. The one on St Catherine of Siena is excellent!

LaRae

Thank you, there is a Catholic bookstore very near where I live. I can check it out on my next visit!

H.H.Pope Pope Francis celebrates the Te Deum Vespers in St. Peter's Basilica on New years Eve at the Vatican

PPE Agency

I usually go to a local church on Epiphany to hear choral evensong, but instead it seems they are doing Compline - can anyone advise what Compline is?!

And he came out and said it's fine for women to breastfeed their babies at church. Either of the 2 previous popes would have fallen into a faint at the sight of a woman's breast

Blessed John Paul II as Archbishop of Krakow wrote an excellent book that espoused-among other things-a woman's right to experience her own orgasm during the sex act.("Love and Responsibility" 1963)

I doubt very much that Wojtyla would have fainted at the sight of the female breast. In fact I don't think Pope Benedict would either.:cool:

As far as breastfeeding in church...why would anyone want or even need to? Even most small churches have a ladies room or a downstairs area where that could be done.

BTW...there is nothing at all "rebellious" about baptizing the children of couples who are not married. Most priests realize that it is cruel and irrational to deprive innocent babies of the Sacrament through no fault of their own. The problem comes when people demand baptism for their children as a purely empty, cultural tradition with no intention of raising them in the Faith. Then the priest can and should refuse to do it.

Last edited:
And he came out and said it's fine for women to breastfeed their babies at church. Either of the 2 previous popes would have fallen into a faint at the sight of a woman's breast

No quite true since as I recall the late pope JPII traveled extensively and I seem to remember he was in a country where women are topless (tribal) and he was present at the event. No shock and/or outrage.

I doubt BXVI would of expressed any shock either should he have been in a similar situation.

LaRae

Visiting a tribe somewhere is not the same as in a Church, let alone the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. I think if some woman had whipped out their lactating booby in the Vatican in front of JP or B they would have been horrified.

No quite true since as I recall the late pope JPII traveled extensively and I seem to remember he was in a country where women are topless (tribal) and he was present at the event. No shock and/or outrage.

I doubt BXVI would of expressed any shock either should he have been in a similar situation.

LaRae
Both men came from an era and place where nursing was still the way to feed an infant. IMHO they'd likely seen women nursing babies when they were children so I doubt it would be a big deal. Most mothers cover themselves in public with blanket too.:) Not a problem until you're infant learns how to grasp and pull.

Last edited:
Visiting a tribe somewhere is not the same as in a Church, let alone the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. I think if some woman had whipped out their lactating booby in the Vatican in front of JP or B they would have been horrified.

Your own bias is causing you to think the worst. There's nothing whatsoever to think either pope would act in that manner.

LaRae

For some reason only the middle one is working but if you follow the other 2 and type pope when you get to huff po or la times it will show you.

This article was fascinating. This is textbook change management.

Jesuit spies - LOL. The rest of the church finds it difficult to not use Jesuit and spy in the same sentence. As if the curia has not been riddled with conservative spies for centuries.

I find it interesting that recent former popes have encouraged the curia and local bishops to court political influence in Italy. All the while they were demanding Central and South American church leaders not speak out on political issues (save, of course abortion and birth control).
I like this guy. I like people who have the skills to shake up the old order. Jesus did that, you know?

Oh - and all of this is just my informed opinion and everyone is welcome to theirs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom