Vatican City State: Pope Benedict XVI, January 2006 - February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is the Pope not a monarch. He is the spiritual leader of the Roman Catholic Church. He was elected from the College of Cardinals upon the death of the previous Pope.

I red that he has started to show his age which is sad. Is the pope an absolute monarch?
Quite a weird question from a person who uses His Holiness' name as a nickname and the Pope's photo as an avatar.
Google is a friend, dear.:)
Vatican City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The pope is also head of state of Vatican City, a sovereign city-state entirely enclaved within the city of Rome.
His Holiness is a life-long absolute theocratic elected monarch.

I picked Benedict because It is easy to remember and I am Catholic so it made sense.

The other day I was watching a mass with His Holiness and I was shocked to see him looking more frail than I thought he could get. Even with him being in his 80s I still thought of him as a young very able pope. But overall it is understandable that he would begin to slow down for being 85-86? Years old

Finally, it has announced!

His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, declared this day (February 18, 2012) that the Canonization of the 7 New Saints (Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, Pedro Calungsod, etc.), will be on October 21, 2012, World Mission Sunday.

Kasumi said:
Quite a weird question from a person who uses His Holiness' name as a nickname and the Pope's photo as an avatar.
Google is a friend, dear.:)
Vatican City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
His Holiness is a life-long absolute theocratic elected monarch.

Yes, the Holy Father is a Monarch. He rules Vatican City, a sovereign state. He has a crown ( many) and the ability to bestow titles of various natures on others. He is the Prince of Rome, amongst other titles. I could go on, but this is enough for now.

But he didn't have a coronation. I believe the last Pope to have one was paul IV he also did away with the lavish funerals for a pope and in stead a simple pine box.

But he didn't have a coronation. I believe the last Pope to have one was paul IV he also did away with the lavish funerals for a pope and in stead a simple pine box.

What has that got to do with the Pope being a monarch? If not having a coronation means one is not a monarch then all of Europes monarchs with the exception of Queen Elizabeth II would not be monarchs either as they are not crowned.

NGalitzine said:
What has that got to do with the Pope being a monarch? If not having a coronation means one is not a monarch then all of Europes monarchs with the exception of Queen Elizabeth II would not be monarchs either as they are not crowned.

Nothing I simply felt the need to say it. I personally think that he is a monarch, but he is also the head of the entire church.

OK.
BTW Paul VI was the last Pope to have a coronation and wear the triple tiara. It was JP1st who did away with that and every Pope since then has followed suit.I think Paul VI may have done away with issuing papal titles as well.

NGalitzine said:
OK.
BTW Paul VI was the last Pope to have a coronation and wear the triple tiara. It was JP1st who did away with that and every Pope since then has followed suit.I think Paul VI may have done away with issuing papal titles as well.

Ok thank you I know it was VI or IV he did alot for the church such as making the pope liv more modestly

OK.

It was Pope Paul VI himself who did away with the Coronation and Papal Tiara's for his predecessors..

:vaticanflag:

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI celebrated his 85th birthday on april 16th.

What is it about butlers thinking they have the right to steal important, CONFIDENTIAL material from their employer's private quarters?

Vatican Radio - Pope Benedict XVI announces his resignation at end of month

Full text of Pope's declaration

Dear Brothers,
I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
From the Vatican, 10 February 2013

BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom