The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Courtier

I am talking about the CHI cover. It is right that one can't tell. But nevertheless I think it is him walking with Gänswein. :-)

Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

I read in an article today that whilst new robes etc have been already been made, small adjustments will be made by the nuns on the day he is chosen before proper alterations are carried out.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/us...urch.html?_r=0

American Catholics have very different opinions on their Church than The Vatican does. 80% say they follow their own conscience on moral/sexual issues and not Church teachings. Indeed the majority want sweeping changes and moderization not a return to the old days. I was more surprised by the stats on American Catholics being stronger supporters of same sex marriage in the US than the American population in general. It would seem that the Church's political influence in the US is greatly in decline since its own members do not agree with the Church on many issues.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Is it just me?

Is it just me or does this all look pretty much like its more political than spiritual when it comes to electing a new Pope?

Roman Curia vs. American Cardinals: Increasing Divisions, Culture Clash At Vatican
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
American Catholics have very different opinions on their Church than The Vatican does...
Yeah and I want to know how the poll was conducted....IIRC this was made up of people who self identify as Catholic even if they haven't been to Mass in 20 years.

When they do a poll made up of faithful Catholics then I'll buy what this says. They might as well of asked Episcopalians the questions as it stands now.

LaRae
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Nobility

I'm not Catholic, but I am Christian and it was always my impression the doctrine and morality is not based on modernization or public opinion, but actual right and wrong. Not making a criticism of you, but of the general idea. They church isn't supposed to be based on politics or people's whims or society, but what's right.

I do feel the need to ask though...what does this have to do with the Pope?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

Exactly so.

LaRae
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
...IIRC this was made up of people who self identify as Catholic even if they haven't been to Mass in 20 years. When they do a poll made up of faithful Catholics then I'll buy what this says...
Did you actually read the 2 page article? Many of those interviewed described themselves as regular attendees at mass. Also they were not all young people being interviwed. Indeed the poll also showed general satisfaction with local priests and their sermons. Bishops and higher have less approval.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post

I do feel the need to ask though...what does this have to do with the Pope?
If you read the article American Catholics also expressed their views on Benedict XVI
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Is it just me or does this all look pretty much like its more political than spiritual when it comes to electing a new Pope?

Roman Curia vs. American Cardinals: Increasing Divisions, Culture Clash At Vatican
You were expecting something different? Maybe flights of angels or bolts of lightening?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:

If you read the article American Catholics also expressed their views on Benedict XVI
Ah I see. Are there any polls from other nations or articles of people expressing their views about Benedict? Americans are only one small part of the world. Have other people around the world been expressing their complaints with him? And I am not referring to politicians or journalists, but your average person.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I just recently started posting on this thread.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Did you actually read the 2 page article?...
Yes I read it. Many people? You are stretching things a bit.

I'd like to know where you read that....the fact that seminaries with waiting lists are more traditional/orthodox and more orthodox Masses are better attended don't mesh with the article which does NOT give background on those being interviewed.

Again, do a poll made up of faithful Catholics and I'll give it some credence. It's hardly a shock that dissenters (even those who attend Mass) are going to respond as they did.

Just like the poll from a year or so ago...these supposed Catholics were mostly cultural and rarely if ever attended Mass.

LaRae
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are you seriously under the impression that there are seminaries with waiting lists? There is a huge shortage of men willing to enter the priesthood. The Church, at present, admits neither women, rot married men, which drastically cuts down on the number of people prepared to enter the priesthood.

With any luck, the new Pope will be a little more in touch with what is going on outside the rarified all men in dresses atmosphere of the vatican.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Serene Highness

Yep it's a fact. There are seminaries with waiting lists.
You are incorrect about married men. There are married Catholic priests.

Women cannot be ordained. That issue was settled by JPII in this document, Ordinatio Sacerdotalis:
Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, John Paul II, 22 May 1994 - Apostolic Letter

Fortunately all the voting cardinals were appointed by either JPII or BXVI so for the heterdox Catholics it's doubtful they will be pleased.

Rise in US seminary numbers brings 'big smile' to Pope's face :: Catholic News Agency (CNA) May 6, 2012

“I told him that in the Archdiocese of Denver both of our seminaries, St John Vianney Theological Seminary and Redeptoris Mater Neo-catechumenal seminary, are full,” the bishop added.
“In fact we have more applicants than we have space so for the first time in many years we have to create a waiting list which is a good problem to have.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Nobility

Is there someone here that is not from the US and does not have so many negatives things to say about the Pope that can find some polls or interviews or something? Please and thank you. What other people reactions to his resignation and his time as Pope?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...Again, do a poll made up of faithful Catholics...
I must have missed the announcement that you were now empowered to determine who is or is not a "faithful" Catholic. I get that you would describe yourself that way, but surely others also have the right to also describe themselves that way as well without needing anyone else to validate their opinions.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Nobility

I agree with Pranter. Practicing Catholics would have a much better perspective and opinion about the church and their teachings. I know a lot of people who say they are Christians and yet they don't go to church and couldn't really tell a thing about doctrine or morality except what they think is right or wrong. Like I said before morality isn't something that changes based on cultural changes or societal whims.

I have been asking for some other polls from other countries. I would like to know the conversations going on with other Catholics and I would like to hear opinions of other people on this forum not just the ones who have all negative things to say about the church.

Also I think some other posters were posting about his current activities. I don't totally know about how everything does in a situation where the Pope resigns. What is his role? And what is he up to?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
...Again, do a poll made up of faithful Catholics...these supposed Catholics were mostly cultural...
I find it a bit insulting that you seem to only consider someone Catholic if they're Catholic in exactly the same manner you are. As I've said, I no longer consider myself Catholic but my mother and sisters certainly are (My mother and one sister attend every week and my other sister actually plays music at three Masses per week) and they all support same sex marriage. Their interpretation of Catholicism is that it should be about loving acceptance, not judgment and condemnation of others.

Honestly, I find that take on Christianity- the one that focuses on loving others and being kind and generous- much, much more compelling then the type of orthodoxy you keep pushing as the only way forward.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Nobility

Can someone answer my question and stop attacking Pranter? This has nothing to do with Benedict. We can argue personal opinions about doctrine all day long some other time on some other thread.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
Can someone answer my question and stop attacking Pranter? This has nothing to do with Benedict. We can argue personal opinions about doctrine all day long some other time on some other thread.
Disagreeing with an opinion someone has voiced is not attacking them. That's what happens in any free exchange of ideas.

And as far as Catholic attitudes go, they certainly vary from country to country with Catholics concentrated in Latin America and Africa trending towards a more orthodox perspective and Catholics in America and the U.K. trending towards an interpretation that is more focused on social justice than orthodoxy.

A full answer to your question would require quite a bit of research and if it's something you're interested in, you'll probably have a few hours of articles to comb through.

Tags
catholic church, catholicism, pope, pope benedict xvi, vatican