Royal Blogger

BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21597093

From the Irish RTE news earlier

Pope Benedict bids farewell in final address - RTÉ News

Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Benedict XVI says goodbye to all cardinals in Rome, pledges allegiance to next Pope.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Pope Benedict XVI meets with political leaders, to say farewell.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Wow that was really some turn out,the Holy Father looked very frail and tired.
He did,indeed.

St.Peter Square yesterday,HH Pope Benedict XVI during his last public audience:

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1437117

A Vigil for His Holiness last night:

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1437730

St.Peter's Square this morning,on the last day of the Pontificate of this Pontifex Maximus:

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid-1438424

Courtesy Robin Utrecht.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Courtier

From the way it sounds and it's being said after today it's not likely he will be seen in public again until his funeral.

LaRae
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
From the way it sounds and it's being said after today it's not likely he will be seen in public again until his funeral.

LaRae

True,that is what he intends himself too,a life out of view and spotlights.

At 5PM today,local time,he will be taken to Castelgandolfo,the Papal retreat outside Rome,by helicopter,and at 8PM local time his Pontificate will be over and he will remove his Papal ring from his finger.

He will remain at Castelgandolfo for the next two months while his appartment at the Mater Ecclesia monastery will be refurbished and after that will start,or that is his plan,to write again,the Scholar that he is will take over again,Deo Volente.

The speculation on whom of the Cardinals will be regarded as Papabili,fit for the Seat of Peter,will begin in all earnest.Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone,the Camerlengo,will take care of the Vatican affairsuntill a new Pontiff is choosen.

More info here:

http://www.vatican.va/

Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

At 5PM today,local time,he will be taken to Castelgandolfo,the Papal retreat outside Rome,by helicopter,and at 8PM local time his Pontificate will be over and he will remove his Papal ring from his finger.

He will remain at Castelgandolfo for the next two months while his appartment at the Mater Ecclesia monastery will be refurbished and after that will start,or that is his plan,to write again,the Scholar that he is will take over again,Deo Volente.

Deo Volente, Amen.

Perhaps we'll get to see another book from him then. The ones I've read so far have been excellent.

LaRae
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The town and monastery where Benedict XVI will retire

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:

The speculation on whom of the Cardinals will be regarded as Papabili,fit for the Seat of Peter,will begin in all earnest.

More info here:

Vatican: the Holy See

BBC News - Benedict XVI vows obedience to successor as pope

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21599917
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Royal Highness

I only hope the personal appartment of the pope at Castel Gandolfo has excellent heating! The palace was built to accommodate the pope during the hot summer weeks in which Rome is quite uninhabitable. I don't know if it was meant to be lived in in winter? The weather is quite cold in Italy at the moment with night temps around 2-5° C and not much warmer during the day (up to 10°C at around noon).
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I believe there was work going on at the castle over the past few weeks so I'm sure Benedict XVI will be comfortable there.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I believe there was work going on at the castle over the past few weeks so I'm sure Benedict XVI will be comfortable there.
LIVE coverage of His Holiness leaving The Vatican for Castel Gandolfo.

De website van omroep RKK
Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
LIVE coverage of His Holiness leaving The Vatican for Castel Gandolfo.

De website van omroep RKK

Was an impressive farewell from the Vatican,and ditto arrival at Castel Gandolfo where thousands had gathered to welcome the Pontiff.

At 20.00 PM He will remove the Ring of the Fisherman from his finger,while at the Vatican the Camerlengo,His Eminence Cardinal Bertone,will Seal the Papal appartment and the Sede Vacante situation no-one had thought of since 600 years is a fact.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21620718
Old 02-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Benedict XVI resignation: The two-pope problem

Pope and anti-Pope? What difficulties may await the new pontiff.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
BBC News - Benedict XVI resignation: The two-pope problem

Pope and anti-Pope? What difficulties may await the new pontiff.
What utter nonsense,a anti-pope.No really!!..LOL...There is no two Pope problem...The BBC has a problem getting their act together after dan brown..geez...a once respectable news source...yuck... Typical,a screaming header for a new hype.but it will not be.no anti-pope...too many have gone overboard with Dan Brown...Benedict is far from an anti pope and so this is no issue.At all.

He is a pilgrim after today as he said himself,and a modest and humble one,and one too wise to go into hypes of any sort and speculation where that goes as thruth instead of thruth itself.No,after today we will hardly ever hear of him,except maybe when he has been able to publish a book again,and only then.

At this time churches around the world are full with the faithfull praying for Pope Benedict in this last hour as Pontiff.

Difficulties for the new Pontiff?Many,many to tackle,besides the running business as usual and so I hope he will be relatively young and pragmatic and with a progressive twist facing anything that pops-up head on.

In thirty minutes His Holiness will abdicate,the appartment Sealed,"Sede Vacante",we witness History in its rarest form at this moment.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Had you read the article Lucien you would have seen that the discussion originated with 2 Italian theologians.

At least Benedict gets to keep his long time companion and secretary Monsignor Georg Gänswein with him in his retirement, although I can easily imagine the new pontiff replacing him as head of the papal household.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's over now. Goodbye Your Holiness!
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Personally I think he is glad it is over and I really wish him all the best especially for his health. I hope he has still a few years in which he can write his books and spend time with his brother.
He has already said this morning that he won't interfere with the affairs of his successors and what's more the new pope will have his utmost respect and obedience. The scenario of a pope and anti-pope is really unlikely for anybody who knows him personally. Yes I will miss him and one could see this afternoon that his close confidants, the cardinals and all the people assembled were really sad that he was leaving. A brilliant theologican and an outstanding human being who realised that he was no longer capable to fulfill his duties as the head of the Roman Catholic Church. My deepest respect for his decision to resign.
And now I am really curious who will become the next pope.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm glad he's finally gone and I hope whoever is next was not someone who actively worked to conceal criminal child abuse and someone who has a much more enlightened view on those of other faiths.

Tags
catholic church, catholicism, pope, pope benedict xvi, vatican