Vatican City State: Pope Benedict XVI, January 2006 - February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as well as the announcement that he will never gain set foot outside the Vatican. As he is no longer pope, he no longer njoys diplomatic immunity and could be arrested if he leave the Vatican.

We don't know if he still enjoys diplomatic immunity or not. He still is a citizen of the Vatican City State as well as being German and we know nothing about how the VCS handles diplomatic immunity. But - I have yet to imagine any judge who would order a warrant against a former pope! Especially as I personally believe Joseph Ratzinger has never ever broken a law that he was aware of and that he has accepted as being valid. I don't think he was directly involved in disciplining priests or in bringing priests to worldly justice who have committed crimes. That was not his job and he is not responsible when others failed to react properly. What he did was viewing the situation he was made aware of in light of the Church doctrines and advise on how to handle things. He was not the executioner!

We don't know if he still enjoys diplomatic immunity or not. He still is a citizen of the Vatican City State as well as being German and we know nothing about how the VCS handles diplomatic immunity. But - I have yet to imagine any judge who would order a warrant against a former pope! Especially as I personally believe Joseph Ratzinger has never ever broken a law that he was aware of and that he has accepted as being valid. I don't think he was directly involved in disciplining priests or in bringing priests to worldly justice who have committed crimes. That was not his job and he is not responsible when others failed to react properly. What he did was viewing the situation he was made aware of in light of the Church doctrines and advise on how to handle things. He was not the executioner!

As the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith, Cardinal Ratzinger was DIRECTLY responsible for disciplining priests and bringing priests to justice for committing crimes. That was his job. He's the one that created the process for how those cases were handled, and he directly over saw it. He stepped up the process to get pedophile priests defrocked, but still insisted these matters be handled by the church and not turned over to secular authorities.

In doing this, it is my opinion that he acted completely improperly and failed to protect children.

We don't know if he still enjoys diplomatic immunity or not. He still is a citizen of the Vatican City State as well as being German and we know nothing about how the VCS handles diplomatic immunity. !

Diplomatic immunity is not determined by your country of origin, it is determined by the country you are visiting or are accredited to.

While arrest is unlikely, I can imagine that if he were for instance to be visiting Ireland, the US or even The Netherlands he might be summoned to give testimony in a court of law about what he knew/when he knew it/ and what the policy was in dealing with priestly abuse. Remaining within the walls of the Vatican City State would prevent that from happening. Given his failing health I imagine a lot of foreign travel is not planned anyway especially since he has stated he will basically be withdrawing from public view anyway.

One can say and think about the Catholic Church and its Cardinals what one wants and yes we are all aware Ratzinger was nothing more than the Head of the Inquisition but one thing that will never happen is that a former pope will be arrested. This is not a thriller by Dan Brown.

Kit,exactly!He will never be arrested regardless.As the Pontiff he acknowledged the abuse happened which is more then any of his predecessors ever did and meanwhile the victims of the abuse have been payed,and the Church is still paying the new and proven cases that emerged.And ofcourse,trying to single out those who love to ride on a free ticket to extra bucks for abuse they never had...Pecunia non olet...Not all is true what is said in many a claim...Just to set the record straight.... But the cases that have been proven to be right have been contacted and given a sum,not that the abuse desolves by any sum,but is not done/handled in a frugal way as far as the pecunia goes.And that is internationally acknowledged as a case "under way" and handled so whatever person shpould try,there are always those desperate to get attention at any rate...sadly enough even in these cases...people are people...and there are many kinds off...
So,in short,an "arrest" would never ever happen regardless where the Pope Emeritus would go.No.Not ever.Except when Tom Hanks says so ofcourse..and the Disney people who believe him...nah...grin..

As the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith, Cardinal Ratzinger was DIRECTLY responsible for disciplining priests and bringing priests to justice for committing crimes. That was his job. He's the one that created the process for how those cases were handled, and he directly over saw it. He stepped up the process to get pedophile priests defrocked, but still insisted these matters be handled by the church and not turned over to secular authorities.

In doing this, it is my opinion that he acted completely improperly and failed to protect children.

What cases did he refuse to turn over to the authorities?

LaRae

One can say and think about the Catholic Church and its Cardinals what one wants and yes we are all aware Ratzinger was nothing more than the Head of the Inquisition but one thing that will never happen is that a former pope will be arrested. This is not a thriller by Dan Brown.

Exactly the reason, IMO, why they have announced that he will never again leave the Vatican grounds. I would think though that he could be subpoenaed to give testimony in a civil case . I does not have diplomatic immunity any longe.

The pope said why he won't leave the grounds again. It has nothing to do with anything other than what he said. To make it into something else is just wishful thinking on those who have an axe to grind.

LaRae

What cases did he refuse to turn over to the authorities?

LaRae

We will find out in short order when the 30,000 pages of correspondence on the subject are released by the court.

We will find out in short order when the 30,000 pages of correspondence on the subject are released by the court.

Ah so people are assuming then and making unfounded claims. The other poster made a statement as if it were fact. If it's factual I'd like to see specifics of what she is talking about.

LaRae

Diplomatic immunity is not determined by your country of origin, it is determined by the country you are visiting or are accredited to.

While arrest is unlikely, I can imagine that if he were for instance to be visiting Ireland, the US or even The Netherlands he might be summoned to give testimony in a court of law about what he knew/when he knew it/ and what the policy was in dealing with priestly abuse. Remaining within the walls of the Vatican City State would prevent that from happening. Given his failing health I imagine a lot of foreign travel is not planned anyway especially since he has stated he will basically be withdrawing from public view anyway.

I thought it was actually quite telling that the Vatican pre emptively announced that he would never be leaving vatican city again. For any reason? Ever? Really?

As far as diplomatic immunity, Ratzinger had diplomatic immunity because he was a Head of State, not because of extradition treaties.He is no longer a Head of State. Therefore, no diplomatic immunity exists for him.

Last edited:
Ah so people are assuming then and making unfounded claims. The other poster made a statement as if it were fact. If it's factual I'd like to see specifics of what she is talking about.

LaRae

Be patient for a few months. You wont have long to wait.

Be patient for a few months. You wont have long to wait.

I see so the new standard is to assume people guilty of something before they are proven so. I hope you never sit on a jury.

LaRae

LaRae, It's been reported on CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Newsweek etc that these 30,000 pages of correspondence on the pedophilia case are about to be released.

LaRae, It's been reported on CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Newsweek etc that these 30,000 pages of correspondence on the pedophilia case are about to be released.

So? Do you know what is in the documents? Nope and neither does the other poster making the statement.

If there are specific cases, as she stated, then I want to see her source of info on them.

LaRae

As if anything will happen to him.

The Catholic Church, as an institution, has gotten off pretty much punishment-free even though the abuse problems and their subsequent coverups were certainly institutional in nature.

I thought it was actually quite telling that the Vatican pre emptively announced that he would never be leaving vatican city again. For any reason? Ever? Really?

As far as diplomatic immunity, Ratzinger had diplomatic immunity because he was a Head of State, not because of extradition treaties.He is no longer a Head of State. Therefore, no diplomatic immunity exists for him.

Exactly. What if he needed some serious surgery, for example.

These are not good times for the Vatican, methinks. :ermm:

So?Oh wow..It carries weight since CNN reported on it,and MSNBC...Oh wow...well,...Not on this side of the ocean it doesn't...they report what they like,and have all have a nice read..Yet,that will not,not now and not ever,change that the Pope Emeritus will never be arrested.,no way.

Last edited:
So?..Yet,that will not,not now and not ever,change that the Pope Emeritus will never be arrested.,no way.

Well not as long as he remains locked up in seclusion on The Vatican City State anyway:flowers:

Obviously if there is a case to answer it won't be in the Vatican so if he stays there he will be fine but...if he leaves The Vatican then there is a chance that some secular government, not overwhelmed by the position that he has given up, could decide that he should be arrested to face the charges - but it all comes down to whether there is a case to answer.

As we don't know what will happen in the future we can't say that he will or won't be arrested if he leaves The Vatican if there is a case for him to answer - either criminal or civil - depending on the laws of the individual countries own laws.

In any event, I have read that he will not only be known as Pope Emeritus, he will remain at the Vatican, wear papal robes and share the same secretary as the new pope. What could possibly go wrong? :ermm:

In any event, I have read that he will not only be known as Pope Emeritus, he will remain at the Vatican, wear papal robes and share the same secretary as the new pope. What could possibly go wrong? :ermm:

Yes, he will still wear white but he will not be wearing the red shoes of the Pope. I read also that his secretary is going with him but its supposed that the newly elected Pope will appoint his own secretary.

I really think though that remaining in the Vatican is his own personal choice. He wants to live in relative seclusion and focus on his books and such and it really doesn't have too much to do with the question of being arrested. He wants a quiet life with those close to him around him such as his brother. This makes sense to me as there will be many among the people that will still see him and look to him as if he was still Pope. I really don't believe that staying within the Vatican has anything to do with anything other than his own personal wishes.

Then again, I may be wrong.

Yes, he will still wear white but he will not be wearing the red shoes of the Pope. I read also that his secretary is going with him but its supposed that the newly elected Pope will appoint his own secretary.

I really think though that remaining in the Vatican is his own personal choice. He wants to live in relative seclusion and focus on his books and such and it really doesn't have too much to do with the question of being arrested. He wants a quiet life with those close to him around him such as his brother. This makes sense to me as there will be many among the people that will still see him and look to him as if he was still Pope. I really don't believe that staying within the Vatican has anything to do with anything other than his own personal wishes.

Then again, I may be wrong.

Of course 'his own personal wishes' could include not having to face criminal or civil suit elsewhere - I doubt that anyone would 'personally wish' to be arrested.

For such an "unpopular" and "unloved" Pope as I keep reading Benedict XVI is (in the secular media at least) that was an astonishingly huge and emotional throng at St. Peter's on Wednesday. And quite a few in the crowd looked very young.

His final address at the general audience was graceful, moving and deeply spiritual, particularly when he described himself as simply a pilgrim who is nearing the end of his life's journey.

And even though Roger Cardinal Mahoney did indeed fall under a cloud in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles because of his response-or lack of- to the sex abuse allegations against some priests, he was not "forced out" at all. He reached the obligatory age(75 I think) that reguires all bishops to submit their resignations to the Pope and Benedict XVI accepted it. Just as he has done in the cases of bishops who have not been tainted by scandal.

The BBC needs to get it's facts straight.

Last edited:
IF and it is really a big IF any authorities require informations by Benedikt he will give it to them. There is no need that he is arrested. And why he should be arrested for deeds done by others who are still living happily as ever somebody has yet to explain to me. This is all just poor speculation on part of certain medias and not serious journalism based on facts. We also have cases of pedophilia commited by priests here in Austria but nobody helds Ratzinger responsible. Every court deals with the real culprits if they are still alive.

IF and it is really a big IF any authorities require informations by Benedikt he will give it to them. There is no need that he is arrested. And why he should be arrested for deeds done by others who are still living happily as ever somebody has yet to explain to me. This is all just poor speculation on part of certain medias and not serious journalism based on facts. We also have cases of pedophilia commited by priests here in Austria but nobody helds Ratzinger responsible. Every court deals with the real culprits if they are still alive.

He is not in a position any longer to give any info on anything other then his works as an author.This arest nonsense is quiet enough now and only shows the specific posters don't really have a clue on facts.Never mind that,one can always learn by reading and listening,provided one does.

The certain media's mentioned,including the once great BBC and the always hideous FOX...,are reduced to the rags they are and nothing else:)

I agree with you Lucien. :) Some people should inform themselves about Benedikt's biography and the RC church before they make accusations.

He's not living at the Vatican. He's living on the grounds in a private residence. It is unlikely that he will ever leave the residence until his death. As I understand it he plans to remain spend alot of time in prayer....not sure if he will continue to write or not, that remains to be seen.

Those of you here with an axe to grind that are making all sorts of unfounded claims....I pray that you are shown more benefit of the doubt than you are showing others.

Perhaps in your glee to see a holy man (and the Church) tarnished you might find a minute to do what the Bible says...pray for your enemies.

LaRae

He's not living at the Vatican. He's living on the grounds in a private residence. It is unlikely that he will ever leave the residence until his death. As I understand it he plans to remain spend alot of time in prayer....not sure if he will continue to write or not, that remains to be seen.

Those of you here with an axe to grind that are making all sorts of unfounded claims....I pray that you are shown more benefit of the doubt than you are showing others.

Perhaps in your glee to see a holy man (and the Church) tarnished you might find a minute to do what the Bible says...pray for your enemies.

LaRae
The pope is at the moment living at the Popes' country home but once his new quarters at the monastery (cloister) is complete he will definitively live within the Vatikan walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom