The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@widianemoussa: Cardinal electors will be 61 Europeans, 19 Latin Americans, 14 North Americans, 11 Africans, 11 Asians, 1 from Oceania. Yes, 1 from Oceania

Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wonder what Papal name the next Pontiff will take?

So far there have been

21 John's
19 Gregory's and Benedicts
14 Clements
13 Leo's and Innocent's
12 Pius's
9 Stephen's
8 Urban's and Boniface's
7 Alexander's
6 Adrian's and 6 Paul's
5 Celestine's,Nicholas's and 5 Sixtus's and so on!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

So far there have been

21 John's
14 Clements
13 Leo's and Innocent's
12 Pius's
9 Stephen's
8 Urban's and Boniface's
7 Alexander's
6 Adrian's and 6 Paul's
John Paul III ?

Queen Mathilde
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
John Paul III ?
Its a possibility I guess
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How many other Popes have resigned?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
How many other Popes have resigned?

Celestine V was the last in 1294.

Here's the list of Popes,including St.Peter,just pick and choose a name...

Sorry,wicked wiki...for once...

List of popes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

So far there have been

21 John's
14 Clements
13 Leo's and Innocent's
12 Pius's
9 Stephen's
8 Urban's and Boniface's
7 Alexander's
6 Adrian's and 6 Paul's
I guess we can rule out Celestine (Dante!)and Pius (Second WW,quite controversial pontificat)-personally I prefer Urban and Paul but they usually chose a name with a significant meaning!
Would be delighted to see a Latinamerican pope as the continent has a very active Catholic community and the society is very spiritual.Latin America has many problems (poverty,lack of education,extreme gaps between rich & poor people etc.) and being the homeland of a pope would be a positive event.
. Helen Keller
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@MaxFosterCNN: Benedict's title on retirement undecided - spox

@MaxFosterCNN: Spox says cardinals will decide autonomously who will be next Pope. Benedict will be retired and not be involved in the appointment

@MaxFosterCNN: Considering what happened when JP2 died, Pope vote likely 17 days after Benedict's resignation according to spox
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
The Church has had many popes and preachers and saints like that for people who care to look...John XXIII, John Paul I and II, St Francis of Assisi, Mother Theresa...there is really not enough room to name them all.
So many people think of John XXIII as saintly, but I believe his Pontificate was a disaster for the Catholic Church!

Vatican II ushered in so many many problems that far outweighed any good accomplished. (This is my opinion only and not meant to proselytize).

As for the Bible, Catholics have never taken it literally ( I really don't see how anyone can. Again, my opinion).
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Commoner

The Papacy is a mentally and physically challenging position. Look how much US presidents age during their time in office. The Pope is that much more!

At the end of Lent is the very grueling Holy Week. Pope Benedict would be unable to participate in many of these liturgies.

I do commend His Holiness for recognizing his limitations and thinking of the good of his people. I am grateful for his service and wish him the best.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
As for the Bible, Catholics have never taken it literally ( I really don't see how anyone can. Again, my opinion).
Oh, really?

As a Catholic, I heartily disagree. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but you cannot and should not make such a broad, sweeping statement.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Does antipopes really count as popes? As the present pope is Benedict XVI it seems as at least the Vatican doesn't count the three antipopes named Benedict into the rank of popes when choosing an ordinal number.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalannB View Post
Oh, really?

As a Catholic, I heartily disagree. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but you cannot and should not make such a broad, sweeping statement.

As a Catholic, do you take the bible literally?
I was taught that it is against Catholic teaching to do so, but perhaps you were instructed differently?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
@MaxFosterCNN: Benedict's title on retirement undecided - spox

@MaxFosterCNN: Spox says cardinals will decide autonomously who will be next Pope. Benedict will be retired and not be involved in the appointment

@MaxFosterCNN: Considering what happened when JP2 died, Pope vote likely 17 days after Benedict's resignation according to spox
It's not Max Foster who decides,let alone CNN and he isn't the best in the business...far from it..Anyway..:...

If he had listened better he would have known that Ratzinger,as he will be known,will retire in the convent adjacent to the outer wall of The Vatican and will have no mingling in nor any business in the public eye but pray,read and meditate and maybe write.

As of february 28th at 20.00PM local time the Sede Vacante situation sets in and the very next day,on march 1st,the Conclave will start to elect a new Pontifex Maximus.It's expected that even though there is no clear favorite,at all,it will still not take longer then one to two weeks at most before a new Pontiff will be elected.Well ahead and in time before the extensive Holy Week and Easter ceremonies will take place.

The present Pope is too much of a humble and modest person to even think of a role stretching further then I mentioned above.And as for the health reasons,his heart condition isn't optima forma as he recently had a pace-maker installed too.Again,a wise and brave decision.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Does antipopes really count as popes? As the present pope is Benedict XVI it seems as at least the Vatican doesn't count the three antipopes named Benedict into the rank of popes when choosing an ordinal number.
Anti Popes do not count as Popes,no.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
As a Catholic, do you take the bible literally?
I was taught that it is against Catholic teaching to do so, but perhaps you were instructed differently?
Yes we do.But maybe that's very Philly to be instructed the opposite of what is instructed to RC's....grin..
Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

It's not Max Foster who decides,let alone CNN and he isn't the best in the business...far from it..Anyway..:...
You do realise those are his tweets live this morning from a papal press conference? He's reporting news.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Sadness and enthusiasm in pope's German hometown

Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing that will be done according to tradition is that all articles belonging to Pope Benedict that signify his papacy will be destroyed. Most significant is his papal ring. I knew they destroyed the ring upon death of a pope but wasn't sure if a retired pontiff would continue to wear his so I looked it up.

Pope Benedict will perform the Mass is St. Peter's square for Ash Wednesday on February 13th before he steps down. Record numbers of people are expected to attend as this will be the last public Mass he celebrates as Pope.

Funmoods - web search results - papal ring

As far as papal name for the new Pontiff, perhaps Peter or something with Peter in it such as James Peter or John Peter?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Courtier

I guess having witnessed the last (depressing) years of pope John Paul II (which lead to stagnation and really did the church no good) played an important role in the current pope's decision to resign.
I also think Benedict always knew in his heart he wasn't the right man for the task to regenerate the church. And I applaud him for his decision.

Tags
catholic church, catholicism, pope, pope benedict xvi, vatican