Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Now that I didn't know. Question - is there a way for a Cardinal to refuse conclaves decision?
I'm sure there is but most Cardinals would deem as the Pope did, that the result of the election is God given and feel it a duty to fulfill the role of Pope.

He's always looked quite frail and tired but even more so lately. He feels the need to step down and the position go to someone that is more able to fill the position.

All of this really makes me realize just how much strength and stamina that Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh have. They will be 87 and 92 respectively this year and still going strong.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I have always had great respect and admiration for this brilliant, gentle, low key man. He followed the superstar, saintly John Paul II and those were going to be impossible shoes for anyone to fill but he did it well, imo.

Now he can spend his remaining time in peace and prayer. I think he deserves it.

He's a cat lover like myself and so I have a kind of soft spot for him. Godspeed, Your Holiness.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
If not Schönborn,then an Italian,south American...maybe..But I hope not as that part of the world is still largely kept ignorant by their local fathers...so NO.But never an African,they tend to be way way more conservative then any of the present or predecessors.And being Holyer Than Thou is not what this world is waiting for,but one in touch with time and age.The late Primate of Milano would have been my favorite candidate.But alas...I said the late...so,nah..Also,Nostradamus said a black pope would see the end of the world....If not Maya's...then this...
I personally think that the church will need a younger pope who is openminded to all the pressing questions that people have and dont find answers to in church any longer. Its about transparency, staying in touch with time and people's needs without giving up the basic principles.

Sadly I dont think this will happen. JP II was a conservative hardliner (although very much a people's person in contrast to Benedict). Benedict only continued the hardliner mindset and almost all cardinals who can vote have been appointed by either JP II or Benedict - and are all most likely to continue with the same strategy. Too bad that such a good opportunity for modernisation and adaption might pass without being made use of.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Nobility

There is the possibility for a pope-elect to not accept the election. Once the election is done, the cardinal deans asks the elected whether he accepts the canonical election as Supreme Pontiff; theoretically the person could say that he does not accept. Usually, a person who say beforehand that he does not want to be elected like Giovanni Colombo did in 1978.

I think Benedict XVI was taken very much by surprise - as basically everyone - eight years ago; he was elected within 26 hours after the start of the papal conclave.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I personally think that the church will need a younger pope who is openminded to all the pressing questions that people have and dont find answers to in church any longer. Its about transparency, staying in touch with time and people's needs without giving up the basic principles.

Sadly I dont think this will happen. JP II was a conservative hardliner (although very much a people's person in contrast to Benedict). Benedict only continued the hardliner mindset and almost all cardinals who can vote have been appointed by either JP II or Benedict - and are all most likely to continue with the same strategy. Too bad that such a good opportunity for modernisation and adaption might pass without being made use of.
I very much doubt this will happen but every Catholic person can be voted Pope. The conclave can chose whoever they want to; even laymen can be elected.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
True,and it is that,his health,and nothing else...Just in case those inclined to a "conspriracy" take over.
Honestly, I don't think one needs to reach into conspiracy theory territory. What's already on record is enough- this pope is far too closely associated with the sex abuse scandal and many people hold him accountable for covering up abuses by priests and failing to help victims. That's going to be his legacy and that is inevitable.

I think his age and health was probably a factor, but I don't think he'd be stepping aside if he enjoyed the same kind of public acclaim that Pope John Paul II had. I think and hope that he recognizes that in order for the church to heal, new leadership is necessary. Hopefully the next pope will be someone slightly more modern and someone who had no part in the abuse cases.

This was a good article about his legacy as pope: Benedict XVI’s legacy - Salon.com
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschana View Post
I very much doubt this will happen but every Catholic person can be voted Pope. The conclave can chose whoever they want to; even laymen can be elected.
Just not any women...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hopefully we'll have a new Pope by Easter!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

The pope's first and most important responsibilty is to proclaim and safeguard the Gospel as handed down by Christ and the Apostles over the last two thousand years.

Of course he is leading the Church into the 3rd millenium and must always be aware of the times we are in. But I don't want, need or expect him to turn to some feel good televangelist, telling people what they want to hear and bending the teachings of Christ to make us more comfortable and to satisfy worldly needs regardless of whether they conflict with those teachings or not.

Scripture warns us against people like that and calls them "false prophets".

My prayer is that the Conclave chooses the next pontiff with the characteristics of holiness, zeal, and wisdom uppermost in their minds. Not according to how well they feel he will do with "modernization" of the world's most ancient institution-which has been here years before any of us and will outlive all of us as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Is he still a Prince of the Church or merely a retired priest?
As he was a cardinal before he became a pope I would guess that his rank will be cardinal emeritus after retirement, like other cardinals when they retire, unless of course he will be given the title pope emeritus.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Courtier

We need to pray that the Cardinals will follow Gods will. I will pray for wisdom for them.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
The pope's first and most important responsibilty is to proclaim and safeguard the Gospel as handed down by Christ and the Apostles over the last two thousand years.
Those same Gospels were written by men, translated/mistranslated, added to and removed from versions of the Bible over centuries. One wonders if any of the Apostles or even Jesus himself would recognize what is preached from the pulpits todays as the word of God.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Just not any women...
Well of course not. A woman as Christs Vicar on Earth!! Silly you. A womans place in The Vatican is as maid, cleaner or cook, not preaching the word of God.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Those same Gospels were written by men, translated/mistranslated, added to and removed from versions of the Bible over centuries. One wonders if any of the Apostles or even Jesus himself would recognize what is preached from the pulpits todays as the word of God.
Agreed and enthusiastically seconded.

I have great respect for a lot of the ideas present in Catholic theology- I was raised Catholic and I think some of the ideas I was raised with are absolutely beautiful. But honestly? I don't see Jesus in anything that excludes people based on gender or sexual orientation and I don't see Jesus in most conservative social view points.

I see Jesus in love, compassion and acceptance for others. I hope the next pope will be more concerned with that goal than in preserving outdated and exclusionary church policies.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well of course not. A woman as Christs Vicar on Earth!! Silly you. A womans place in The Vatican is as maid, cleaner or cook, not preaching the word of God.
I wonder if the Christianity had become as successful as it did if it hadn't been for the faith and work of all those women living during the first and second centuries that are metioned in the New Testament?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
A woman's place in The Vatican is as maid, cleaner or cook
and preferably all virgin nuns.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Nobility

There's none other belief or philisophy that praises the woman as the Catholic Church does. Mary is God's mother, and the most praised Saint

Queen Mathilde
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Nobility

My heart, prayers and toughts are with our Pope and the Cardinals!
God Bless Benedict XVI for all he've done!
Some say he was not as popular as John Paul II, or he couldn't find the youth, but it's not true. He touched our souls and was our sheperd.
I was one of the 2 millions in Madrid 2 years ago, it was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. While life and society bring you down every day, it brought me to be a better version of myself, to enjoy and cherish life, to fight and love and to believe. I'm Generation BXVI, and I'm proud of it!

God bless you Father!

Queen Mathilde
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

A beautiful but somewhat eerie picture of a lightening striking St. Peter's Basilica soon after the Pope announced his resignation.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Commoner

Oh my....I never realized Pope's could retire, but if he feels it's his time to retire then god bless him and all the praise to him.

Tags
catholic church, catholicism, pope, pope benedict xvi, vatican