The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Courtier

I hope his holiness is able to enjoy his retirement. It couldn't have been an easy decision. I wonder if he will be an advisor of sorts to the next Pontiff?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
I hope his holiness is able to enjoy his retirement. It couldn't have been an easy decision. I wonder if he will be an advisor of sorts to the next Pontiff?
No I don't think so Penelope,he will retire from all of it.He will go to Castel Gandolfo for a while after februarry 28th and then move to a monastary in Rome,or near Rome.

PPE Agency

The announcement:

Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well "younger" is a relative term when it comes to the Cardinals. I suspect they do not want someone who will reign for decades so electing someone of a certain age limits that possibility.
Oh, I just think that's a big job for a person to take on. I'm not catholic but I do think electing a young Cardinal, who can handle the burden of the job is best.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well when his doctors advised against more travel ,and his brother says the Pope is having trouble just walking, clearly his physical health is not up to the task. Hopefully the Cardinals will elect someone more in tune with the 21st century although that is probably wishful thinking when it comes to the Vatican.
I wonder what becomes of an ex-Pope. Does he simply go back to live with his brother in Germany or does he retire to a monastery? Is he still a Prince of the Church or merely a retired priest?
Accordingly to what the BBC News site has said, Father Lombardi says following an initial peiod at the papal residence, Benedict will move into a monastery of cloistered nuns inside the Vatican for a period of prayer and reflection.
I am guessing that he will revert to whatever position he would be in had he simply retired as a Cardinal Bishop (assuming Bishops reture, I'm rather confused now!)
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Pope Benedict XVI stepped down| Spletnik.ru

It is a wise decision of Benedict's XVI side to step down due to frailty. His Holiness was honest with congregation of the Roman Catholic church. Hopefully he will enjoy his retirement.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

We should all pray for the Holy Father in these moments! We should also thank the Lord for this wonderful Pontificate.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Pope's Legacy | America Magazine
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I never anticipated that the Holy Father would step down,it will be interesting to see who is elected the next spiritual leader of the 1.2 billion Roman Catholics.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Royal Highness

Good. He was not a man whose vision for the church was something I found admirable. Perhaps now the church can find someone who is more focused on the great tradition of Catholic social justice and less concerned with the private acts of consenting adults,

I'd love to see a pope who recognizes that the church must adapt to survive and that correspondingly acts to make a more inclusive church.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
We should all pray for the Holy Father in these moments! We should also thank the Lord for this wonderful Pontificate.
What exactly was wonderful about his pontificate? It was certainly marred by the priest pedophile scandals in several countries and the Churchs reaction to the scandal was nothing to praise. Benedict was a very traditional and very conservative Pope out of step with the changing world even by the standards of the RC Church, even going so far to call for investigation of American nuns because they were not considered Conservative enough by Vatican standards. IMO I can find nothing praise worthy in his papacy other than it was short.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I never anticipated that the Holy Father would step down,it will be interesting to see who is elected the next spiritual leader of the 1.2 billion Roman Catholics.
Perhaps a non-European? Maybe someone from Latin America?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Good. He was not a man whose vision for the church was something I found admirable. Perhaps now the church can find someone who is more focused on the great tradition of Catholic social justice and less concerned with the private acts of consenting adults,

I'd love to see a pope who recognizes that the church must adapt to survive and that correspondingly acts to make a more inclusive church.
Actually, Benedict XVI focused a lot on social justice and on ecology. He spoke a lot of criticism against the (ultra-)liberalism and the consumer society, against the destruction of environment. The medias would rather speak about sexuality than about all the speeches he made about Catholic social justice, which are very many.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Perhaps a non-European? Maybe someone from Latin America?
That's what I was thinking,Latin America or Africa perhaps....my wild card is Ireland (highly unlikely) .
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

I totally agree. It would be nice also if the new Pope did not go out of his way to offend people of other faiths, including Jews and Muslims. Benedict will not be considered a great success when it comes to reaching out to people and healng wounds.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's what I was thinking,Latin America or Africa perhaps....my wild card is Ireland (highly unlikely) .
Perhaps it is time for an Italian cardinal. Do we have any information on possible candidates? Bookmakers hint that Cardinal Francis Arinze of Nigeria may become the next Pontiff.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I can see someone from Latin America but the African church seems to be on the extreme right. Amongst the Europeans I rather like the Cardinal Archbishop of Vienna who seems quite moderate but not sure of his age.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post

Actually, Benedict XVI focused a lot on social justice and on ecology. He spoke a lot of criticism against the (ultra-)liberalism and the consumer society, against the destruction of environment. The medias would rather speak about sexuality than about all the speeches he made about Catholic social justice, which are very many.
His condemnation of the American group of nuns whose focus is specifically on social justice irked me and for me, was a defining moment for a pope I never cared for in any way. We can agree to disagree here though, since this board probably doesn't need to devolve into an argument. Personally, I'm just thrilled he's stepping aside and I wish him a quiet retirement. I hope whoever is next is someone with vision and someone who works towards a more inclusive church.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

I can see someone from Latin America but the African church seems to be on the extreme right. Amongst the Europeans I rather like the Cardinal Archbishop of Vienna who seems quite moderate but not sure of his age.
Here's a list that's circulating a few news articles;

9/4 Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson, 64
Elevated to cardlinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: Would like to see a black pope. Believes condoms should be used in marriage if one partner is infected with Aids.

5/2 Cardinal Marc Ouellet, 68
Elevated to the cardinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: Belief that abortion is unjustifiable, even in cases of rape

7/2 Cardinal Francis Arinze, 80
Elevated to cardlinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: Extreme conservatism on birth control and abortion

7/1 Cardinal Angelo Scola, 71
Elevated to become Archbishop of Milan by Benedict XVI
Significant views: Wants to work more closely with Islam and support Christians in the Middle East

10/1 Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga, 70
Elevated to cardinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: A moderate but is anti-abortion and criticised Ricky Martin for using a surrogate mother

12/1 Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, 78
Elevated to cardinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: Blamed homosexual infiltration of the clergy for Catholic child sex scandals

14/1 Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, 70
Elevated to cardinalate by Pope Benedict XVI
Significant views: Strongly against abortion and expressed anger towards same-sex unions

16/1 Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 77
Elevated to cardinalate by John Paul II
Significant views: Against abortion and euthanasia, is against same-sex marriage but calls for respect of gay people. Washed the feet of 12 Aids patients in 2001.

20/1 Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, 69
Elevated to cardinalate by Benedict XVI
Significant views: Said Christians in Iraq under Saddam Hussein were more free than they are now

25/1 Cardinal Christoph von Schonborn, 68
Elevated to cardinalate by John Paul II
Significant views: Said use of a condom by an Aids sufferer could be seen as a 'lesser evil'.

I'm very surprised at the seemingly 'rushed' nature. Some press are calling this mornings announcement as 'shambolic' because barely anyone knew what was actually going on.

Cardinal Bergoglio or Cardinal Scola seem 'sensible'.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the list. It is nice to see relatively young Italian cardinals in it. Cardinal Angelo Scola seems to be a nice candidate.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Courtier

Cardinal Schönborn has already given an interview today on ORF in which he spoke about his surprise about the pope's retirement. He was also asked if he would accept if the vote were in his favour. He refused to answer that question. However I do not think Cardinal Schönborn will be elected. He is a moderate traditionalist and very respected in Austria. Nevertheless I think it will be an Italian Cardinal.

Tags
catholic church, catholicism, pope, pope benedict xvi, vatican