Vatican City State: Beatification of John Paul II - May 1, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maria-olivia

Majesty
City
Brussels
Country
Belgium
TM The King and the Queen of the Belgians , HM King Juan Carlos of Spain and TRH the Princes of Asturia , TRH the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg and two of their sons.
I don't know about TH the Princes of und zu Liechenstein , HSH Prince Albert of Monaco and his Fiancee, the Head of the Order of Malta and Members of the Royal Family of Savoie?
The celebration starts to-day at 10 am in Rome.
I wonder if the royal ladies will be in white ?

Last edited:
The Celebration just ended .
More than 1.000.000 people and a great amount coming from Poland.
18 Head of States : the President of Italy , the President of Poland , The brother of the late President who died in an air crash and also Lech Walesa.
The King of the Belgians , the Queen of the Belgians in white dress and white lace Veil, The Grand Duke of Luxembourg , the Grand Duchess in a white dress and white lace Veil. Prince Felipe of Spain , Princess Letitzia of Spain in black dress and black lace Veil.
The Duc of Gloucester The Duchess of Gloucester in black dress and black lace Veil.
And many others Head of States they did not show a lot because the highlight was on the Blessed Pope John Paul II. They unveiled a wonderful picture of him taken in 1985.

Here's a good gallery about the royals at the event
John Paul II Beatification Mass And Ceremony - Pictures - Zimbio

One can see:
King and Queen (wearing white) of the Belgians
Grand Duke and Grand Duchess (wearing white) of Luxembourg with the Hereditary Grand Duke and another son.
The Prince and Princess von und zu Liechtenstein with Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein (ambassador of Liechtenstein to the Holy See) and wife and daughters.
The Prince and Princess of Asturias

More pics here:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fN62b74L64La/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02Pt2XdebRb3A/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07OacmY0WXdun/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bbkfHbggt9J5/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00RNbkW1t4ghn/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bk6fGUdlt3fV/610x.jpg

TM The King and the Queen of the Belgians , HM King Juan Carlos of Spain and TRH the Princes of Asturia , TRH the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg and two of their sons.
I don't know about TH the Princes of und zu Liechenstein , HSH Prince Albert of Monaco and his Fiancee, the Head of the Order of Malta and Members of the Royal Family of Savoie?
The celebration starts to-day at 10 am in Rome.
I wonder if the royal ladies will be in white ?

I haven't seen HSH Prince Albert II which I found strange .

Thanks a lot Amedea.
I tried to start this thread which seem to be uninteresting because no fashion and I am happy to see your pictures so quickly.

I thought Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein was Ambassador for his country in Belgium or did he change recently?

Thanks a lot Amedea.
I tried to start this thread which seem to be uninteresting because no fashion and I am happy to see your pictures so quickly.

I thought Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein was Ambassador for his country in Belgium or did he change recently?

Prince Nikolaus used to be the (resident) Ambassador in Belgium and the non-resident Ambassador to the Holy See. My understading is that he recently retired from his post in Brussels, but kept the one at the Holy See.

No fashion today, but the traditional dresses like the today ones are not less interesting. And they make the ladies look truly beautiful. Just look at Letizia, how she looks fascinating and serene today.

Could someone from Spain explain why King Juan Carlos was not at the Easter Celebrations , well for the official visit from Qatar, not at the British Royal Wedding and not for the Beatification of Pope John Paul II .
I really hope He was no health problems?

Sorry,could someone explain to me why the women were dressed either in white or black?Is there a special etiquette for such an event?

:previous:
Privilège du blanc is a privilege held by female Catholic Monarchs, also by female Catholic Consorts of Catholic Monarchs, wherein they are allowed to wear white when in an audience with the Pope. Its literal translation to English is "privilege of the white".
Traditionally, this privilege applies, or has applied, to the Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary, the Queens of Italy, France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Bavaria, and Poland, the Grand-Duchesses of Luxembourg and Lithuania, and also to several German Princesses.
Formal Vatican protocol for papal audiences used to require long-sleeved, formal black garments and a black mantilla for women.
Privilège du blanc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
maria-olivia said:
Could someone from Spain explain why King Juan Carlos was not at the Easter Celebrations , well for the official visit from Qatar, not at the British Royal Wedding and not for the Beatification of Pope John Paul II .
I really hope He was no health problems?

The king never attends foreign weddings. Can't remember the last time he was at one.

Is Grand Duchess Maria Teresa curtseying to the Prince of Asturias? I guess he's kind of bowing, too, but why would she, a reigning consort, need to curtsey to an heir?

Maybe he was kissing her hand?

EmpressRouge said:
Is Grand Duchess Maria Teresa curtseying to the Prince of Asturias? I guess he's kind of bowing, too, but why would she, a reigning consort, need to curtsey to an heir?

I don't think she is, I think it's the angle of the picture and he's kissing her hand....

I don't think she is, I think it's the angle of the picture and he's kissing her hand....
Oh yes, that makes sense. I forgot the height difference between the two, so that's why it looks like she's curtseying, especially from that angle.

I haven't seen anybody from Duke of Kent's family at the ceremony.Did anyone attend?
As far as I know some of them are devoted catholics,for example lord Nicholas Windsor religious wedding was in Vatican and he seems to defend catholic faith and christian values

Queen Paola wears a Pontifical Decoration, Queen Fabiola wore the same on her Official Visits to the Pope.
Glenn from the RJMB asks if it is the cross "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice" ?

And they were obliged to greet this horrid Berlusconi... How embarrassing for the Royals!!!

And they were obliged to greet this horrid Berlusconi... How embarrassing for the Royals!!!
Yes... When I saw him chating with the Asturias oh my... does Felipe protect Letizia from him?:whistling:
But it was nice to see the royals on the beatification of JP2. So after all he was a royal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder will we see many royal guests at the Canonisation of Pope John Paul II?

For Belgium King Albert II and Queen Paola will be present. Albert II signed the first euthanasia bill though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom