The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Swedish State Visit to Bhutan: June 8-10, 2016

Beginning on 8 June 2016, Their Majesties the King and Queen of Sweden will pay a three-day State Visit to Bhutan at the invitation of His Majesty the King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck. The Government will be represented and a number of Swedish companies will take part in the visit. This is the first State Visit from Sweden to Bhutan.
State Visit to Bhutan - Government.se

Statsbesök till Bhutan - Sveriges Kungahus

Old 05-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow, second major state visit to Bhutan this year Be interesting to see how the Swedish one differs, and not just a longer visit.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

This is such great news to hear, I'm so looking forward to this state visit! As the visit is for three days, I think we will see more of Bhutan and a variety of different events.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Majesty

very exciting - this is indeed bhutan's year!
i loved the colours and the traditional welcome at WK's visit. it will be nice to see it all again! i wonder if silvia will take the tip from kate and also order a traditional bhutanese skirt for the visit :)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparent

It would be great if she did but not sure Silvia would.

This visit will certainly be different and not simply due to longer. The age of the queen and king will certainly impact the activities they take part in. I don't see CG climbing to a monastery or Silvia trying archery (the second more likely IMO then the first). It will be great to see what kinds of events and activities these two will be involved with. And to see more photos of the stunning country as well.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

WOW!!! So excited! Finally Bhutan has started to deepen their relationships with the European royals. I hope this state visit is the first of many to come.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

What a wonderful news for a sunny day! And I would be very pleased if our German people magazines would report on this visit. And then I wish that the tv-magazines will pronounce the names of the Bhutanese royal couple. At the visit of William and Catherine they talk about the royal couple as King and Queen of Bhutan. They didn't tell the names. What a pity!
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen tells that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia got the invitation to visit Bhutan from Bhutan's king in March.
- A state visit is about that the Ministry for Foreign Affairs has a desire to go to this country and of course the royal court takes part, says Margareta Thorgren, director of the press department.
The royal couple will be received by King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck in an official ceremony. On the following days they will visit various famous places like temple and monastery, as well as various projects in the countryside.
- It is a very beautiful and exciting country, says Boel Lindbergh, Head of the International Press Centre of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, who has just returned from Bhutan from a preparatory visit to the country.
This is not the first time that the King and Queen visit the mountainous small kingdom. The royal couple were there on an unofficial trip in 1993 when they among others hiked in the spectacular mountains.
- They also met the then king at that visit, says Thorgren.
Här är kungens oväntade resa – till Bhutan _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Old 05-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Expressen tells that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia got the invitation to visit Bhutan from Bhutan's king in March.
- A state visit is about that the Ministry for Foreign Affairs has a desire to go to this country and of course the royal court takes part, says Margareta Thorgren, director of the press department.
The royal couple will be received by King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck in an official ceremony. On the following days they will visit various famous places like temple and monastery, as well as various projects in the countryside.
- It is a very beautiful and exciting country, says Boel Lindbergh, Head of the International Press Centre of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, who has just returned from Bhutan from a preparatory visit to the country.
This is not the first time that the King and Queen visit the mountainous small kingdom. The royal couple were there on an unofficial trip in 1993 when they among others hiked in the spectacular mountains.
- They also met the then king at that visit, says Thorgren.
Här är kungens oväntade resa – till Bhutan _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Thanks for the info LadyFinn! Interesting, I don't remember hearing anything about this unofficial visit in 1993. Would love to know more about it, does anyone have info/photos?

This is such a beautiful and culturally rich country, I will be looking forward to seeing what will be shown to a more mature couple.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

CG and Sylvia made a state visit to India in 1993. I think it likely that Bhutan was an unofficial part (start or end) of that trip. Perhaps I am wrong.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Aristocracy

ah, thank you for that information Countessmeout
Old 05-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Found this pic when I was looking for Bhutan. It is from Victoria's visit to the Taj Mahal. It seems Will/Kate are not the only ones to recreate a family photo on the 'bench'.

Princess Victoria Pictures - Crown Princess Victoria Of Sweden Visits Taj Mahal - Zimbio

Love Vic was presented with a pic of her parents, and she posed with it.

The pic she is holding

http://www.gala.de/royals/royals-koe...-i9993034.html
Old 05-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
CG and Sylvia made a state visit to India in 1993. I think it likely that Bhutan was an unofficial part (start or end) of that trip. Perhaps I am wrong.
It makes me now wonder if the King and Queen will reverse the schedule they had in 1993 and spend some unofficial time in India either side of the State Visit to Bhutan?
Old 05-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if it's about time to make a sub-forum for the Bhutanese royals mods. They've been quite active lately, and there's a lot of news that need a thread of their own like for example the birth of the Gyalsey (many festivities, pics, etc). Just saying...
Old 05-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
I wonder if it's about time to make a sub-forum for the Bhutanese royals mods. They've been quite active lately, and there's a lot of news that need a thread of their own like for example the birth of the Gyalsey (many festivities, pics, etc). Just saying...

They have their own thread; in the other reigning houses section. Unless you mean an actual sub-forum like the British have.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
They have their own thread; in the other reigning houses section. Unless you mean an actual sub-forum like the British have.
I mean like the Brunei and Thailand have in the other reigning houses section.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Today the swedish government published the program at it's website, so far it is only in swedish.
From the program for the state visit

Wednesday, June 8
The King and Queen arrive in Bhutan during the morning. The state visit will begin with a welcome ceremony at the Paros International Airport.
In the afternoon is a ceremonial reception at Tashiccho Dzong with a chipdrel procession, national songs and traditional music. The Swedish royal couple meets Bhutan's royal couple for conversation. Then the royal couple meets Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay in Thimpu.
The day ends with a dinner hosted by Bhutan's royal couple.

Thursday, June 9
The day begins with a cooperation forum - "Sweden-Bhutan Cooperation Forum" - with round-table discussions with Swedish companies in Bhutan and Bhutanese authorities and companies.
Then a visit to a project for vulnerable young people is planned.
The royal couple attends a lunch with Bhutan's fourth king, King Jigme Singye Wangchuck as host. He is the father of the current King of Bhutan.
After lunch a visit to Thimpus textile museum, which aims to preserve traditional crafts and conduct training and research on textiles.
Later in the afternoon, there will be a visit to the Buddha statue in Kuensel Phodrang in Thimpus outskirts. Royal couple visit also a development program with a fire break around Thimpu. It aims to increase accessibility for emergency vehicles in forest fires, which are a major problem in Bhutan.
The day ends with a reception hosted by the Swedish royal couple.

Friday, June 10
Friday is devoted to visiting Bhutan's former capital Punakha and its cultural center, Punakha Dzong. The King and Queen and the rest of the delegation take part in a light ceremony with the monks of the Dzong.
During the trip between Thimpu and Punakha, as well as at the return journey, local development projects will be visited.

Saturday, June 11
The state visit is concluded with an official farewell ceremony at the Paros International Airport.
Statsbesök till Bhutan - Regeringen.se
Translation
Old 06-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

After seeing a few photos from Kate and Will's trip, I am looking forward to this one as well. I want to see more pictures of Bhutan I knew the agenda would be different, the older couple wouldn't do such physical activities and that is fantastic. We will get to see some different sites and aspects of this amazing country.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thursday, June 9th will be a very busy day. I'm looking forward to this visit!!! I want to visit Bhutan one day, it's my top3 countries I want to visit.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

I found an article about the forthcoming State Visit, which has some pictures of the King and Queen's private visit to Bhutan back in the early 1990s. The article mentions that they travelled with several friends, including Anni-Frid Lyngstad:

kungaparet | Hovbloggen