Swedish State Visit to Bhutan: June 8-10, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyFinn

Imperial Majesty
City
Southwest
Country
Finland
Beginning on 8 June 2016, Their Majesties the King and Queen of Sweden will pay a three-day State Visit to Bhutan at the invitation of His Majesty the King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck. The Government will be represented and a number of Swedish companies will take part in the visit. This is the first State Visit from Sweden to Bhutan.
State Visit to Bhutan - Government.se

Statsbesök till Bhutan - Sveriges Kungahus

Wow, second major state visit to Bhutan this year:flowers: Be interesting to see how the Swedish one differs, and not just a longer visit.

This is such great news to hear, I'm so looking forward to this state visit! As the visit is for three days, I think we will see more of Bhutan and a variety of different events.

very exciting - this is indeed bhutan's year!
i loved the colours and the traditional welcome at WK's visit. it will be nice to see it all again! i wonder if silvia will take the tip from kate and also order a traditional bhutanese skirt for the visit :)

:previous: It would be great if she did but not sure Silvia would.

This visit will certainly be different and not simply due to longer. The age of the queen and king will certainly impact the activities they take part in. I don't see CG climbing to a monastery or Silvia trying archery (the second more likely IMO then the first). It will be great to see what kinds of events and activities these two will be involved with. And to see more photos of the stunning country as well.

WOW!!! So excited! Finally Bhutan has started to deepen their relationships with the European royals. I hope this state visit is the first of many to come.

What a wonderful news for a sunny day! And I would be very pleased if our German people magazines would report on this visit. And then I wish that the tv-magazines will pronounce the names of the Bhutanese royal couple. At the visit of William and Catherine they talk about the royal couple as King and Queen of Bhutan. They didn't tell the names. What a pity!

Last edited:
Expressen tells that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia got the invitation to visit Bhutan from Bhutan's king in March.
- A state visit is about that the Ministry for Foreign Affairs has a desire to go to this country and of course the royal court takes part, says Margareta Thorgren, director of the press department.
The royal couple will be received by King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck in an official ceremony. On the following days they will visit various famous places like temple and monastery, as well as various projects in the countryside.
- It is a very beautiful and exciting country, says Boel Lindbergh, Head of the International Press Centre of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, who has just returned from Bhutan from a preparatory visit to the country.
This is not the first time that the King and Queen visit the mountainous small kingdom. The royal couple were there on an unofficial trip in 1993 when they among others hiked in the spectacular mountains.
- They also met the then king at that visit, says Thorgren.
Här är kungens oväntade resa – till Bhutan _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Expressen tells that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia got the invitation to visit Bhutan from Bhutan's king in March.
- A state visit is about that the Ministry for Foreign Affairs has a desire to go to this country and of course the royal court takes part, says Margareta Thorgren, director of the press department.
The royal couple will be received by King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck in an official ceremony. On the following days they will visit various famous places like temple and monastery, as well as various projects in the countryside.
- It is a very beautiful and exciting country, says Boel Lindbergh, Head of the International Press Centre of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, who has just returned from Bhutan from a preparatory visit to the country.
This is not the first time that the King and Queen visit the mountainous small kingdom. The royal couple were there on an unofficial trip in 1993 when they among others hiked in the spectacular mountains.
- They also met the then king at that visit, says Thorgren.
Här är kungens oväntade resa – till Bhutan _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Thanks for the info LadyFinn! Interesting, I don't remember hearing anything about this unofficial visit in 1993. Would love to know more about it, does anyone have info/photos?

This is such a beautiful and culturally rich country, I will be looking forward to seeing what will be shown to a more mature couple.

CG and Sylvia made a state visit to India in 1993. I think it likely that Bhutan was an unofficial part (start or end) of that trip. Perhaps I am wrong.:)

ah, thank you for that information Countessmeout

CG and Sylvia made a state visit to India in 1993. I think it likely that Bhutan was an unofficial part (start or end) of that trip. Perhaps I am wrong.:)

It makes me now wonder if the King and Queen will reverse the schedule they had in 1993 and spend some unofficial time in India either side of the State Visit to Bhutan?

I wonder if it's about time to make a sub-forum for the Bhutanese royals mods. They've been quite active lately, and there's a lot of news that need a thread of their own like for example the birth of the Gyalsey (many festivities, pics, etc). Just saying...

I wonder if it's about time to make a sub-forum for the Bhutanese royals mods. They've been quite active lately, and there's a lot of news that need a thread of their own like for example the birth of the Gyalsey (many festivities, pics, etc). Just saying...

They have their own thread; in the other reigning houses section. Unless you mean an actual sub-forum like the British have.

They have their own thread; in the other reigning houses section. Unless you mean an actual sub-forum like the British have.
I mean like the Brunei and Thailand have in the other reigning houses section.

Today the swedish government published the program at it's website, so far it is only in swedish.
From the program for the state visit

Wednesday, June 8
The King and Queen arrive in Bhutan during the morning. The state visit will begin with a welcome ceremony at the Paros International Airport.
In the afternoon is a ceremonial reception at Tashiccho Dzong with a chipdrel procession, national songs and traditional music. The Swedish royal couple meets Bhutan's royal couple for conversation. Then the royal couple meets Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay in Thimpu.
The day ends with a dinner hosted by Bhutan's royal couple.

Thursday, June 9
The day begins with a cooperation forum - "Sweden-Bhutan Cooperation Forum" - with round-table discussions with Swedish companies in Bhutan and Bhutanese authorities and companies.
Then a visit to a project for vulnerable young people is planned.
The royal couple attends a lunch with Bhutan's fourth king, King Jigme Singye Wangchuck as host. He is the father of the current King of Bhutan.
After lunch a visit to Thimpus textile museum, which aims to preserve traditional crafts and conduct training and research on textiles.
Later in the afternoon, there will be a visit to the Buddha statue in Kuensel Phodrang in Thimpus outskirts. Royal couple visit also a development program with a fire break around Thimpu. It aims to increase accessibility for emergency vehicles in forest fires, which are a major problem in Bhutan.
The day ends with a reception hosted by the Swedish royal couple.

Friday, June 10
Friday is devoted to visiting Bhutan's former capital Punakha and its cultural center, Punakha Dzong. The King and Queen and the rest of the delegation take part in a light ceremony with the monks of the Dzong.
During the trip between Thimpu and Punakha, as well as at the return journey, local development projects will be visited.

Saturday, June 11
The state visit is concluded with an official farewell ceremony at the Paros International Airport.
Statsbesök till Bhutan - Regeringen.se
Translation

Last edited:
After seeing a few photos from Kate and Will's trip, I am looking forward to this one as well. I want to see more pictures of Bhutan:flowers: I knew the agenda would be different, the older couple wouldn't do such physical activities and that is fantastic. We will get to see some different sites and aspects of this amazing country.

Last edited:
Thursday, June 9th will be a very busy day. I'm looking forward to this visit!!! I want to visit Bhutan one day, it's my top3 countries I want to visit.

I found an article about the forthcoming State Visit, which has some pictures of the King and Queen's private visit to Bhutan back in the early 1990s. The article mentions that they travelled with several friends, including Anni-Frid Lyngstad:

kungaparet | Hovbloggen

The king and queen arrived to Paros International Airport
https://twitter.com/tashiReporter/status/740399910189694976

JUST IN: His Majesty the King Carl XVI Gustaf and Her Majesty Queen Silvia of Sweden arrived in the country, today. Their Majesties were received by Her Royal Highness Princess Kezang Choden Wangchuck and Her Royal Highness Princess Dechen Yangzom Wangchuck at the Paro International Airport. Other senior officials were also present at the reception.They are here on a four-day state visit.
https://www.facebook.com/bbsnews/posts/1327388610608972

Prime minister Tshering Tobgay at his Twitter
"On behalf of the government & people of Bhutan, I extend a very warm welcome to Their Majesties the King and Queen of Sweden to our Kingdom"
https://twitter.com/tsheringtobgay/status/740425600658202625

Photos by Jonas Ekströmer
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010010011I14653695902211712
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010010021I14653695902211712
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010010031I14653695902211712

Last edited:
Its nice we see a variety of the king's sisters. Will and Kate were greeted by Princess Chimi, who is the mother of the previous king's first grandchild (the Gyalsey is the second). Princess Deschen, one of the two today, is the current king's only full sister (his mother had 2 boys and a girl).:flowers:

I love the beautiful dresses. I am so excited the tour has started and to see more photos of this country.

Drukair Royal Bhutan Airlines welcomes His Majesty the King Carl XVI Gustaf and Her Majesty Queen Silvia of Sweden. Their Majesties were received by Her Royal Highness Princess Kezang Choden Wangchuck and Her Royal Highness Princess Dechen Yangzom Wangchuck at the Paro International Airport.
https://www.facebook.com/Drukair/posts/1026573667431224

The swedish royal court updates the photos from the first day here:
Kungaparets statsbesök till Bhutan – dag 1 - Sveriges Kungahus

Press release about the visit from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bhutan
http://www.mfa.gov.bt/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Press-Release-8-June.pdf

Last edited:
I think the previous king has more than two grandchildren; from his children four daughters and two sons are already married.

Last edited:
ROYAL: Carl Gustaf und Silvia zum offiziellen Staatsbesuch in Bhutan, Tag 1

Kungaparets exotiska resa _ Stoppa Pressarna

Their Majesties the King and Queen of Sweden to visit UN projects during State visit to Bhutan
On this first State visit to Bhutan since establishing diplomatic relations in 1985, their Majesties will visit two United Nations projects—one on preparedness for and reducing the risks from climate-exacerbated forest fires, and one on empowering Buddhist nuns to provide sexual education —reflecting Sweden’s longstanding partnership with the United Nations on achieving sustainable development results.
Their Majesties will first visit a section of the multi-use fire access trail that rings Thimphu city, constructed by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forests with help from volunteers. Thimphu experienced 25 forest fires during the fiscal year 2015/2016, more than double the number in 2014/2015.
Their Majesties will also visit the Sangchen Dorji Lhendrup Nunnery in Wolokha in Punakha, one of 26 nunneries in Bhutan where the United Nations Population Fund in collaboration with the Bhutan Nuns Foundation works to advance education on sexual and reproductive health and gender based-violence prevention.
Their Majesties the King and Queen of Sweden to visit UN projects during State visit to Bhutan _ UNDP in Bhutan

Last edited:
Thank you to all those who have shared the photos and videos of the state visit so far. I think I've said this before, but, I think it's great that more European RFs are starting to visit Bhutan, as it gives the Bhutanese RF and Bhutan itself more publicity. It was nice seeing Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf with Queen Jetsun Pema and King Jigme. Jetsun Pema looked stunning, as per usual, in the traditional dress.

I think the previous king has more than two grandchildren; from his children four daughters and two sons are already married.
As far as I know, officially the previous King only has two grandchildren, from Princess Chimi and King Jigme Khesar. He might have more of his children married but none of them had children yet, except for the ones I mentioned before.

You're right, I missed one. Chimi has 2 sons. As far as I can find, none of his other siblings who are married (including his brother who is married to Jetsun's sister) have children.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom