Royalty of (Western) Samoa and other Pacific States

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Royalist0007

Aristocracy
City
Wellington
Country
New Zealand
Here's a section that will be of interest to those who are interested in the various Royal Families of the British Commonwealth Pacific Islands countries.

Currently,the Head of State is Malietoa Tanumafili II who has been allowed to reign for the rest of his life.Once he passes away,the Head of State will be elected by the Western Samoan Parliament for a 5 year term.The Head of State will come from any of the 4 Royal Families of Western Samoa.

Although the name of the country has been 'Independent State of Samoa' since 1997,it is still commonly known as 'Western Samoa' to distinguish it from American Samoa.Western Samoa is a full member of the British Commonwealth,& has very strong ties with New Zealand,which administered it between 1914 & 1962.

The currency of Western Samoa is the Tala,which is divided into 100 Sene.

The Samoan language is the closest living related language to the Tokelauan language,but English is also an official language.

Western Samoa's chieftainship system is unique,as each family appoints a chief,who is called a Matai.Women can be Matai.Matai are the only people who can be elected to the Western Samoan Parliament,which is called the Fono,but there is pressure to institute a fully democratic political system in which non-Matais would be able to stand for the Fono.

There are some Matais who do not live in Western Samoa,but they do play an important role within the Samoan community in New Zealand (especially in Auckland).

If you have anything to contribute,please post here.

Aidan.

Some history, largely from "Who's Who in Reigning Royalty", William G Valko, 1969.
This is relatively old, and some of the spellings may have been Americanised, but it gives some useful background.

The Independent State of Samoa
House of Malietoa

This is the western region of what, in the nineteenth century was the Kingdom of Samoa. The Kingdom became the scene of rivalry between the Powers of Great Britain, Germany and the United States (the islands being eventually divided between German Western Samoa and American Eastern Samoa), as well as rivalry between the royal lines of Malietoa, Tupua, and Mata'afa.

The last monarchs from these royal lines before the partition of the islands were King Tupua Tanasese (vice-king from 1881-1887; King 1887-1888), King Mata'afa (reigned 1888-1889, and 1898; died 1912), and King Malietoa Tanumafili I (reigned 1898-1899).

With the defeat of Germany in WWI, Western Samoa passed as a Mandate of the League of Nations to New Zealand, but a Samoan nationalist movement soon arose to oppose NZ's control. The Samoan nationalist leader, Fautua (high chief) Tupua Tamasese Lealofi, was assassinated at Apia in 1929. New Zealand retained Western Samoa as a Trust Territory of the United Nations following WWII.

In September 1959 NZ's Parliament legislated giving the Trust Territory a cabinet government. Western Samoa overwhelmingly voted for independence in a plebiscite in 1961, and formally became an independent nation on January 1st 1962. It's constitution, which recalled the setup under German rule, provided for two joint chiefs of state, one representing the royal line of Tupua, and the other, the royal line of Malietoa (the position of Premier being in the hands at the time of a Mata'afa). When one chief of state dies, the other was to continue as sole Head of State, according to the provisions of the constitution. The survivor will be succeeded on his death by a Head appointed by the Samoan parliament for a 5 year term.

The Head of State (O le Ao o le Male) is addressed as His Highness.

Current Head of State:
His Highness Malietoa Tanumafili II, born 1913, Head of State from January 1 1962.

Late co-ruler:
His Highness Tupua Tamasese Mea'ole (1905-1963).

In 1997 the name of the State changed from Western Samoa to Samoa, despite the protests of the American Samoans.

Warren,thank you for that article about Western Samoa's history.I have some coins & banknotes from this British Commonwealth country that I picked up along the way.The coins issued right up to 2000 are inscribed 'MALIETOA TANUMAFILI II SAMOA I SISIFO'.I have 2 coins dated 2002 which have the 'I SISIFO' dropped from the inscription.The portrait actually depicts the Head of State when he was in his late 50's.Unfortunately,I can't provide photos,as I am not yet set up.

Aidan.

Western Samoa's Head of State has died.

Western Samoa's Head of State,Malietoa Tanumafili II has died at the age of 94.

From now on,there will be a Head of State appointed from one of the 4 Royal Families of Western Samoa by the Fono (the Western Samoan Parliament) to serve a 5 year term.

Aidan.

Royalist0007 said:
Western Samoa's Head of State,Malietoa Tanumafili II has died at the age of 94.

Aidan.

My condolences to the people of Samoa upon the passing of His Highness. Such an illustrious leader will always be missed. Rest in peace.

The funeral this Saturday shall be attended by many foreign VIPs.
High level delegations to attend funeral of Samoa Head of State

Aidan, Do you know whether this funeral is going to be a State Funeral?

Is it true that Samoa will gain financial assistance from New Zealand to sponsor this Funeral?

Do you have any good website links where we can consult the updates from Samoa especially on this Funeral?, can the official site of the Samoan government be useful?

Here is the Government of Samoa website, but apart from the bio of HH the [late] Head of State, there's not much to it.

Ephram,it will be a State Funeral.I think that all shops,banks,& government offices throughout Western Samoa will close for the whole day.

As to whether New Zealand will be involved,I don't know.

Aidan.

Last edited by a moderator:
What bad news...Oceanic Royalty is suffering from some great losts since the past year.

My condoleances to Samoan people. :unhappy:

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
What bad news...Oceanic Royalty is suffering from some great losts since the past year.

My condoleances to Samoan people. :unhappy:

Vanesa.

Yes indeed! King Tomasi of Wallis died on May 7th after reinging for 47 years.

PhotoAlbumBig.jsp

King Vincent Jabaan Shreiber crowned in Australia

AUSTRALIA's sole king rules a rich, fertile land of 158 sq km bounded by turquoise seas and white sand beaches dotted with palm trees. Honouring the past, embracing the future, he's a very 21st century king.
Yarrabah's first monarch for almost 20 years has identified cultural awareness, respect for elders and tackling illegal poaching as his priorities, alongside a plan to boost tourist numbers.
King Vincent Jabaan Shreiber of the Gunggandj tribe of the Guru-Gulu clan is the fifth generation of his family to hold the traditional title, yet he remains resolutely a man of the people. - Full article

I'm sorry for posting this here, I've not found a thread for Australia.

Back
Top Bottom