The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2015, 01:58 AM
Majesty

I agree that Pope Benedict XVI is underrated, particularly by people who are too lazy to scratch the surface of the glib "God's Rottweiler" label he was stuck with after his elevation to the Papacy. He had/has his faults but he is a gentle and brilliant man of profound spirituality. Read his wonderful book "Jesus of Nazareth" or his first encyclical "God Is Love" .He was never popular with the masses because he preached a message that 21st century people aren't really interested in hearing anymore...the Gospel straight. No chaser.

His predecessor St. John Paul II did the same thing, but Benedict XVI did not have JP II's or Pope Francis's natural charisma.

Like former President Jimmy Carter, I suspect that history-and the Lord-will judge Joseph Ratzinger more correctly than his contemporaries do.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
America has been truly blessed by the presence of Pope Francis. His words of inspiration, hope, joy, peace and faith has really touched me and countless others. I hope Congress and the UN listened to what he had to say and do the work on behalf of the people. Also, I hope the people of this great Country has been filled with the Holy Ghost and will help others who need it.
Very true. agree. Been a great success so far. even News People (Some who been lucky enough to meet him) and Politicians seem to be in awe.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:52 AM
Courtier

Royal Norway, and Moonmaiden23 - thank you for expressing those thoughts on Pope Benedict XVI
Old 09-26-2015, 03:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree that Pope Benedict XVI is underrated, particularly by people who are too lazy to scratch the surface of the glib "God's Rottweiler" label he was stuck with after his elevation to the Papacy. He had/has his faults but he is a gentle and brilliant man of profound spirituality. Read his wonderful book "Jesus of Nazareth" or his first encyclical "God Is Love" .He was never popular with the masses because he preached a message that 21st century people aren't really interested in hearing anymore...the Gospel straight. No chaser.

His predecessor St. John Paul II did the same thing, but Benedict XVI did not have JP II's or Pope Francis's natural charisma.

Like former President Jimmy Carter, I suspect that history-and the Lord-will judge Joseph Ratzinger more correctly than his contemporaries.
Maybe the mods can give him his own thread.

He was known as God's Rottweiler before his elevation to the papacy, and I remember that the media / ordinary people was so surprised by his kindness, gentleness and closeness to his flock when he was elected in 2005.

He had/has the same faults as his predecessor and successor.

He was in fact very popular with the masses before he retired, and his visit to the US in 2008 and the UK in 2010 was a hit with young catholics. His World Youth Day visits to Cologne, Germany in 2005 and Madrid, Spain in 2011 were great successes.

And he was very charismatic, as you can see in this video from 5:30. Notice his special almost spiritual waving. Another thing with Benedict XVI as you don't see in this video is that he was always touched when people cheered at him.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:09 AM
Majesty

Ratzinger was never truly anywhere near as popular within the Church or especially with the secular media as JPII or Francis, despite his warm reception at the Youth Day event which took place soon after his election as pope.

He was still within the honeymoon phase of his pontificate at that World Youth Day 2005, and every pope can expect a rapturous welcome at such an event quite frankly.

But the tide turned quickly against him and he ended up receiving a lot of criticism and blame he may or may not have deserved in the wake of the Church's sex abuse scandals.

Especially since the election of Jesuit Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio there is a widespread perception of Ratzinger as doctrinaire and intolerant. Francis is a "breath of fresh air" and the "People's Pope" which is nonsense.

Just like Benedict XVI, Francis I has condemned abortion in the strictest terms, and just the other day he stood before the US Congress and made a thinly veiled criticism of same sex marriage when he warned about the danger to traditional families.

The difference between Francis and his predecessors is nothing more than a difference in style, not substance.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Ratzinger was never truly anywhere near as popular within the Church or especially with the secular media as JPII or Francis, despite his warm reception at the Youth Day event which took place soon after his election as pope.

He was still within the honeymoon phase of his pontificate at that World Youth Day 2005, and every pope can expect a rapturous welcome at such an event quite frankly.

But the tide turned quickly against him and he ended up receiving a lot of criticism and blame he may or may not have deserved in the wake of the Church's sex abuse scandals.
I don't agree with this.

Benedict received a lot of undeserved criticism from the secular media in the wake of the Church's sex abuse scandals, but he also received a lot of praise throughout his pontificate.

He also received a warm reception at almost every foreign visits from 2005 to 2013.

But the secular media turned against him after Francis was elected. He has been depressed in recent years, and I have read that he is very sensitive and is very hurt by what the press writes.

I should know this because I am very interested in the papacy, and I've read countless books and articles on this subject.

And I think when he dies the media will go crazy, and be full of praise for him.

Quote:
Especially since the election of Jesuit Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio there is a widespread perception of Ratzinger as doctrinaire and intolerant. Francis is a "breath of fresh air" and the "People's Pope" which is nonsense.

Just like Benedict XVI, Francis I has condemned abortion in the strictest terms, and just the other day he stood before the US Congress and made a thinly veiled criticism of same sex marriage when he warned about the danger to traditional families.

The difference between Francis and his predecessors is nothing more than a difference in style, not substance.
Yes, he is very conservative, but he doesn't speak so much about the controversial issues. We must remeber that he have a whole bunch of new PR advisers.

Pope Francis is also a very strong and confident person, and he has said many stupid things in the past two years.

I've also noticed that he has been much more criticized lately, and as a Catholic priest / expert said not so long ago ''had Francis been Pope in 2009, then we would have had major problems, because he changes his mind all the time''.

But I like that he's talking about the poor, and women in the church, but it seems like it's just talk.

And he has been criticized for these stupid statements, and rightly so.

Full transcript of Pope's in-flight interview from Cuba to US :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)
Old 09-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Majesty

As a practicing and committed Catholic, I am very interested in the papacy as well and have studied it for over 30 years.

I think the response by the secular media, far from "going crazy" when Benedict XVI dies, will be restrained and respectful but also mildly critical...similar to what the ultra-liberal NY Times covered the death of John Paul II. But the worldwide reaction will not begin to approach what occurred at the passing of Karol Wojtyla in 2005.

I agree with you that Francis has made some...confusing.. comments since his election. I hesitate to call them "stupid" but I can definitely see them as contradictory.

It saddens me to read that His Holiness Benedict XVI has become depressed in his declining years. I will pray for him.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Historic Moment: H.H. Pope Francis visits the U.S. Congress

Pope Francis arrives in New York to the sound of Frank Sinatra

Old 09-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Tens of thousands crowd into Central Park to see Pope Francis

Old 09-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It doesn't happen often but every once in a while, things happen at the most opportune times. My computer crashed, burned and did a belly up last Tuesday and I spent 3 days waiting for the delivery of another one. CNN also had basically around the clock coverage of HH Pope Francis' visit to the US and I found myself very happily being able to follow his entire visit so far.

What a totally amazing man he is. A world leader that can send out a message to everyone that listens and its pertinent to all regardless of race, religion, political views or anything else. This is a man that walks his talk. From his Fiat to the statement that there would be no state dinner as he prefers to just eat fish and rice and would rather go feed the homeless and just the looks on his face as he greeted, hugged and blessed people were attestations to his humility.

Not only is his visit to the US an historic one, but one that will be remembered by many that really got a glimpse into a man that deserves the title "People's Pope" because of his actions and words rather than his status.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral welcomes H.H.Pope Francis

Pope Francis Greets Crowds Outside NYC School

Old 09-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Majesty

Yet another example of HH Pope Francis' random acts of kindness. If this doesn't warm the cockles of your heart, there's not much that will.

At Philadelphia airport, Pope kisses head of disabled boy - AOL
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

New York City Welcomes Pope Francis

Pope Francis arrives for Mass at Philadelphia cathedral

Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh. My. Gosh. I have just seen a recorded news clip of the Pope kissing and blessing the little boy with cerebral palsy at the airport. I don't know what to say. I don't think I have to. It was the most holy moment I have seen in my life. Forget that he's Pope . For that man to do that at all- he's an angel.. He is living his faith. Not just going thru motions.
He could talk for 20 hours on love- it wouldn't accomplish what he did in those 5 minutes.
For the Pope to insist- and forgive me - but I saw the look on his face- and come h*** or high water that motorcade was gonna stop- get out, go over, lean over a barricade, and for all intents and purposes cradle that child in his arms... No words!
My family is not of the Catholic Faith. We disagree with some of it's stances on certain issues. But this week we've been glued to our TV. We love Pope Francis. The man just appeals to everyone regardless of religion or stance. You can agree on his message. Love. And to see that man's face when he enfolds children or the handicapped in his arms!
Old 09-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Oh. My. Gosh. I have just seen a recorded news clip of the Pope kissing and blessing the little boy with cerebral palsy at the airport. I don't know what to say. I don't think I have to. It was the most holy moment I have seen in my life. Forget that he's Pope . For that man to do that at all- he's an angel.. He is living his faith. Not just going thru motions.
He could talk for 20 hours on love- it wouldn't accomplish what he did in those 5 minutes.

For the Pope to insist- and forgive me - but I saw the look on his face- and come h*** or high water that motorcade was gonna stop- get out, go over, lean over a barricade, and for all intents and purposes cradle that child in his arms... No words!
My family is not of the Catholic Faith. We disagree with some of it's stances on certain issues. But this week we've been glued to our TV. We love Pope Francis. The man just appeals to everyone regardless of religion or stance. You can agree on his message. Love. And to see that man's face when he enfolds children or the handicapped in his arms!
Kind of makes you want to remember each morning when we get up that even the smallest random act of kindness sometimes can make all the difference in the world.

I do believe, for me, this spontaneous and random showering of love, compassion and blessing will be the moment I most remember of the Pope's visit. This is a man that never fails to astound me with his words and actions alike and if you ask me, he's got one of the brightest divine sparks I've witnessed in a very long time.
― John Lennon
Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I know it is what I will remember best from this visit. That moment. I agree with you there Osipi. This man has a very bright and divine spirit. I've been following His Holiness for a while, because while I am not Catholic- he and his message and his work appeal. And this moment reminded me of another back a couple years ago where HH met a young man severely disabled by fibromyalgia I think it was. Been looking for those pictures.
Anyway, who could forget the moment where HH hugged and blessed a young lady with spina Bifada, or the young man in the wheelchair at the concert last night, whom HH enfolded in his arms?
But that moment with the little boy at the airport... that moment is my favorite. HH confirmed for me that my tear ducts still work. Very well.
Wonder if Daria has seen this?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Pope Francis blesses 16 week old Luke Uebbing from the crowd with a... News Photo | Getty Images
Old 09-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Pope finishes trip in the U.S. Heads back to Rome

Old 09-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Like former President Jimmy Carter, I suspect that history-and the Lord-will judge Joseph Ratzinger more correctly than his contemporaries do.
I do fully and wholeheartedly agree. I didn't like Joseph Ratzinger as a cardinal but I learnt to know him more after he was elected pope and I warmed up a lot to pope Benedict XVI
I like both pope Benedict XVI and pope Francis and I don't think the Church could have elected a pope Francis (who is quite straight on doctrine, even if most of people doesn't believe it) if there had not been a pope Benedict XVI before.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

One thing I like about His Holiness is he puts love before doctrine. He makes clear with the doctrine is, but always with love.
And he loves everybody- even those who disagree with him.

I want to go back to that moment at the airport. A holy and sacred moment that I will probably never completely understand in this lifetime.
That boy could not walk or talk. Nor even move his head. I know children like that are more capable of giving and receiving love than almost anyone I have met in my life.
But in that moment when the Pope took that child in his arms something was said that I don't think many could understand. Not me for sure. And I do not mean the Pope's message by his actions about love. I mean something deeper.
And that moment had a special feeling that I cannot name.
But no one can tell me that that child did not get the message, and feel that feeling. He did. I don't know how he did, but he did. And I know His holiness understood that Conversation, and felt that special feeling.

« Kingdom of Bhutan | - »