Kingdom of Tonga

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A New Zealand lawyer has launched a legal bid to prevent Tonga's king from selling a sprawling royal residence in Auckland, arguing it rightfully belongs to the people of the Pacific nation. - AFP

Tonga's royal residence in Auckland on the market - Radio New Zealand

Lord Kalaniuvalu, aged 37, the eldest son of HRH the Princess Mele Siu'ilikutapu, who had died suddenly in Auckland, New Zealand, early Sunday morning, April 4, was buried at the Paepae 'o Tele'a Royal Cemetery, Lapaha on April 14th.
The royal family including King George Tupou V were present at the funeral.

Lord and lady Kalaniuvalu (nee Maasy Ramsey Manu) on their wedding day January 9th 2010
The official portrait of lord and lady Kalaniuvalu
A heartfelt condolence to the royal house of Tonga - Matangi Tonga
Nice photos: they look to be kind people, both of them, but definitely overweight; Is it an ideal of beauty there or what?
Nevertheless, it's sad that the newlyweds didn't have time to enjoy each other...
I suppose that the cause of his death was a heart attack.
What relative was he to the King?

And as fot the King giving up his power: it's his decision and we cannot forbid him to do that. Monarchy nowadays is considered as an obsolate institution.

...I suppose that the cause of his death was a heart attack.
What relative was he to the King?
The cause of death -- a heart attack -- is mentioned in the link to the article.:whistling:
The deceased Prince's mother HRH the Princess Mele Siu'ilikutapu is the King's niece (the late King's brother).

... it's his decision...
It's not King's decision, it's written in the Constitution. The King himself did his best not to give up his power which drove a big wadge between the people and their new monarch.

The deceased Prince's mother HRH the Princess Mele Siu'ilikutapu is the [URL="http://www.hellomagazine.com/photo-galleries.html?imagen=/royalty/2008/07/31/tonga-king-ceremony/imgs/king-tonga2-a.jpg" said:
King's niece[/URL] (the late King's brother).

Hello got it wrong, she is not the King's neice, she's his cousin. She is the daughter of Prince Tu'ipelehake who was the brother of King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV and son of Queen salote Tupou III.

By the way, has anyone seen photographs of the "new" royal palace? The extensions to the building were finished in November but there hasn't been any reports or photos.

Last edited:
IMG_9631.JPG

Tonga_Royal_Palace_Oct_08.jpg

p1000811.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos No1 Saint, the palace looks really nice.

Thanks for posting the photos No1 Saint, the palace looks really nice.

You're welcome. It does look nice, I think the new King is a little more focused on the aesthetic appearance of his reign than his father was. I haven't been able to find the photo again, but the fence around the Palace compound has also been thankfully replaced...the last one was absolutely hideous.

Aha...I have found it, and it shows a side profile of the new palace extensions.

022.JPG

This is what it looked like from the side before the new additions. A significant improvement.

the_world_2006.1153014780.100_5237.jpg

Thank you for posting the other pictures. I agree with you regarding the present king, I’ve always liked the palace and thought it had a homely feel about but it was far too small to fulfil its purpose. When it was built for King George I it must have seemed to him to be the height of luxury after living in a native dwelling and I know Queen Salote loved the place and at one time she, her two sons, two daughters in law and eight grandchildren were crammed into its eight rooms. The toilets and showers were outside on the first floor veranda at the back corners and later another was added on the ground floor veranda. I seen a couple of TV programmes a few years ago and between them you could see inside the palace, the Hall, Throne Room, Privy Council Room and a Sitting Room. What I couldn’t believe was that apart from the Throne Room which was panelled, the walls of the other rooms were just sanded wood painted white and you could make out the outline of the planks of wood. If you look on the web site for the Tongan Monarchy www.palaceoffice.gov.to (which never seems to be updated) go on to “Historical Sites” and then “Royal Palace” and look at the photos of the staircase and you can clearly see the outline of the wooden planks.
The rooms were also very small and really not suitable for receiving dignitaries. My only gripe with the new palace is it might have been an idea to ad towers at each end of the front to match those at the back.

You are most welcome...it took some selective Google word searching to find some of them.

Yes, by all accounts the Palace was in a constant state of disrepair and was very humble in size. The new additions are wonderful, but I agree the towers at the back should have been replicated at the front...a magnificent 5 towered Tongan Palace. It is still nice though. I sincerely hope the entire place was refurbished. It looked horrible, especially the rooms that were black and white. The only decent room was the throne room...somewhat underwhelming. I was disappointed that a banqueting room to house their frequent and large royal functions was not included. Even the Maori King has a banqueting hall capable hosting at least 2,000 people very comfortably in Kimiora at his official residence at Turangawaewae Marae.

I was hoping the Villa might have been added too, perhaps a creation of a new state wing at the front retaining the existing wing as a private residence. Oh well, perhaps in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
A wonderul dance or Tau'olunga by the daughter of HM the King's niece. Her Grandmother is the highest ranking Tongan in history, Princess Pilolevu...the King's sister. This is a powerful little girl. FYI - In Tongan Culture you gain and retain your status through your mother. Therefore the supposed illegitimate daughter of the King is nothing because her mother was a commoner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzGGc_QziFE&feature=related

Last edited:
Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping met with Tongan King George Tupou V in Beijing on January 25th 2011.
China attaches great importance to its friendly and cooperative ties with Tonga, which is a "good friend and partner" of China in the South Pacific region, Xi said.
He hailed the development of bilateral ties between the two sides. - Xinhua.net

It could do with some weeding outside the gates though...not a good look.

HM the Queen Mother is 85

Queen Mother celebrates 85th birthday | Tonga News | Taimi Media Network
HM the Queen Mother Halaevalu Mata’aho was born on the 29th of April, 1926 and she celebrates her 85th birthday for five days,
starting on Wednesday last week with a Garden Party at the Residence of the President of the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga The Rev. Dr. ‘Ahio and his wife
Loukinikini ‘Ahio. More than 100 women from different Churches and community in Tonga were invited to the ‘Garden Party’, all dressed up in different and
beautiful dresses to go along with the ‘International’ theme.
Along with the Queen Mother the guests also includes HRH Princess Salote Mafile’o Pilolevu Tuita, Princess Siu’ilikutapu, Hon. Frederica Tuita and
Hon. Salote Maumautaimi Tuku’aho

ABC Radio Australia News:Stories:Tonga's King opens new session of Parliament
The King of Tonga, George Tupou the 5th, has opened the new session of Parliament, saying the government will go ahead with changes to the judicial system.
The official state opening in Nuku'alofa, witnessed by Radio Australia's Pacific Beat reporter Monalisa Palu, marks the start of regular parliamentary sessions
since the nation's first democratic elections in November 2010.

Fiji and Tonga - a family affair
The chiefly families of Fiji and Tonga are closely related by blood. Ratu Sir Edward Cakobau who was the Deputy Prime Minister of Fiji at independence
was the son of King George Tupou of Tonga and Adi Cakobau of Fiji. He was hence the half brother of Queen Salote who was the mother of the last King of Tonga
and the grandmother of the present King. Ratu Epeli Nailatikau, the President of Fiji now, whose father was Ratu Edward, is thus the uncle of the present King of Tonga.
The King’s grandmother and Ratu Epeli’s father were half brother and sister.
Queen Salote seemed to have had a lot of regard for Ratu Edward as he was her only brother. As for Ratu Edward, he did not have any other siblings so he seemed
to have considered her as his closest relative, ahead of his Fijian cousins. That relationship has continued, even after the deaths of Queen Salote and
Ratu Edward, between their children.
[...]
So for the Tongan Royal Family it is a family affair; they are giving protection to one of their family members who is in trouble.

King of Tonga's nephew celebrates his 21st birthday - June 24th, 2011

HRH the Prince Tungi, nephew of King George Tupou V, celebrated his 21st birthday on June 24th at the Royal Palace at Fua’amotu Village by the airport.
The young prince is the eldest son of Hon ‘Alaileula of Samoa, and the late Hon Ma’atu, brother of King George.
‘Alaileula is the granddaughter of the late King of Samoa, Malietoa Tanumafili II.
Prince Tungi was educated at Tonga College, and continued to Wesley College in New Zealand. He is presently training in New Zealand to be a pilot.
HM King George Tupou V was also present.
Many attended the birthday celebrations including the prince’s former school mates from Wesley College, his Samoan relatives from the House of Malietoa,
and many friends and relatives from other parts of Tonga and overseas.

**Pic** - Prince Tungi blows his birthday cake candles; credits taimionline

King of Tonga's state visit to New Zealand July 4-9, 2011

King of Tonga to spend today in Wellington - Newstalk ZB

The King of Tonga will spend today in Wellington as part of his state visit to our country.
King Tupou V arrived yesterday, visiting the Linton military camp.
This morning he'll attend a wreath laying ceremony at the National War Memorial in Wellington.
A state ceremony of welcome will then be held at Government House, and this afternoon he'll meet with John Key and Phil Goff.
He's not giving any media interviews, only photo opportunities.

Tongan King's state tour stops at Linton camp | Stuff.co.nz
Kitted out in a Tongan military uniform and using a walking stick, the 63-year-old monarch walked swiftly down the lines of soldiers before thanking officers and saying he was ''very impressed'' by the parade.
King Tupou has refused to be interviewed by media during the visit, but he did speak with soldiers, including 10 of Tongan descent, during an afternoon tea at the camp.

Tongan King George Tupou V reveals his 'Kingly' concerns | WORLD News
The Tongan King says he has not damaged his reputation in the eyes of his people with his handling of the Princess Ashika tragedy.
King George Tupou V faced a savaging following the sinking of the Princess Ashika two years ago.
Seventy-four people died and the nation mourned, but its King went ahead with a European tour.
"There was very little I could have done where television rules a political field," he told TV ONE's Close Up.
"There are probably obligatory emotional festivals that have to be attended to and that is really what the criticism was about."

"Queen Salote seemed to have had a lot of regard for Ratu Edward as he was her only brother."

Queen Salote had at least three brothers one of whom, Vīlai Tupou, was her P.A. for many years.

Tongan King drops sale of $9m 'palace' after protests - National - NZ Herald News
The once-impressive Tongan royal residence in Auckland will be stuck in time after protesters successfully stopped moves by the King to sell it.
A New Zealand-based group opposed King George Tupou V's plans to put the property - known as 'Atalanga and valued at about $9 million - up for sale.
They have been campaigning against the sale for about a year.

Back
Top Bottom