The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

No, not really. Our PM went, for what its worth. So I guess we were also represented by the Duke and Duchess...

Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Commoner

Tonga must really have a close relationship with Japan for the crown prince to represent Japan at the coronation. He, along with the Gloucester's were also present at his fathers funeral.
The choir at the coronation sung 'Zadok the Priest' really well, made me think of the british coronation from videos i have seen.
It was also good to see that the Bhutanese King sent one of his sisters (i think) to represent him. It was really good that Bhutan made an effort to send royal representation.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Aristocracy

here are the guestlist

Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, of the United Kingdom is represented by Their Royal Highnesses, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester; the Japanese Imperial Family is represented by His Imperial Highness, Crown Prince Naruhito; HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn is representing the Thai Royal Family; HRH Princess Sonam Dechan Wangchuck is representing the Royal Family of Bhutan. The Samoan Head of State, His Highness Tuiatua Tupua Tamasese Efi, represents Samoa; The Maori King, King Tuheitia represents the Maori people of Aotearoa-New Zealand. Ratu Epeli Nailatikau, His Majesty King George’s senior Fijian relative heads the chiefly delegation from Fiji.

Vanuatu’s delegation is headed by its President, HE Kalkot Mataskelekele; Australia’s delegation is headed by its Governor General, HE Major General Michael Jefferey AC; Cook Islands’ by the Queen’s Representative HE Sir Frederick Goodwin KBE; New Zealand’s by the Governor General, HE Anand Satayanand, PCNZM; Papua New Guinea’s by its Governor General, Grand Chief Sir Paulius Matane, GCL, CMG, KStJ; and Tuvalu’s by its Governor General, Rev Sir Filoimea Telito.

source---www.pmo.gov.to
Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinyer View Post
here are the guestlist

Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, of the United Kingdom is represented by Their Royal Highnesses, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester;
The Maori King, King Tuheitia represents the Maori people of Aotearoa-New Zealand.
New Zealand’s by the Governor General, HE Anand Satayanand, PCNZM; source---www.pmo.gov.to
Well now I feel silly turns out we were far better represented than I had thought...
Old 08-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Nobility

What about the Kings from the wallis and Futuna Islands, were they there?
Wallis recently crowned it's own King.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess View Post
Yes I saw them (Crown Prince Naruhito, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Sri Maha Chakri Sirindhorn of Thailand, a Princess of Bhutan) too, but I think that there's too few royal representatives... There are only so many monarchies in this world, they should stick together, and especially at a unique event like a coronation which is only done in so few countries - they should send high representatives from all countries. A Vice President or a member of the Royal Family for example, or a minister at the minumum. Just letting the Ambassadors represent the country isn't enough in my viewpoint.
Well, of course you have point there. It would be a question of courtesy. But then I wonder, if e.g. one of the smaller European courts would celebrate a coronation, e.g. Luxemburg or Lichtenstein, do you believe all the royal families from the "other side of the world" - I mean the Pazifik-region, would be represented? It is probably too far away and of less importance.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
What about the Kings from the wallis and Futuna Islands, were they there?
Wallis recently crowned it's own King.
Sorry, I don't know him, never saw a picture of him and could therefor not identify him. Why don't you check out the video yourself? Please let me know if you spot him.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Nobility

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Sorry, I don't know him, never saw a picture of him and could therefor not identify him. Why don't you check out the video yourself? Please let me know if you spot him.
There would have been three Kings if they had been there as there are three kingdoms in the Wallis and Futuna Islands, Uvea, Sigave and Alo.
It's bit difficult to see anyone on the video, at least the one from, I think, the New Zealand Broadcasting Co as it doesn't open up to a larger size. It opens with the arrival of the King (you don't even see the Queen Mother arrive) and it would have been nice if they had pointed out some of the guests.
Regarding the service, the church was certainly a better place than the old Royal Chapel where previous coronations have taken place as it could only seat 77 people. Previous monarchs knelt to be crowned so why did the King change this to sitting? Also, I wonder why he didn't use the throne that had been in the chapel. This had been used since George I time. I had worried that the King might use his taxi so it was a nice surprise to see him use Queen Salote's car, although, along with the new throne and sceptre I'm surprised he didn't order a golden coach.

Did the ladies of the royal family wear European dress and tiaras? At the late King's coronation the ladies wore Tongan dress.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Did the ladies of the royal family wear European dress and tiaras? At the late King's coronation the ladies wore Tongan dress.
At the Royal Luncheon some of the ladies are pictured wearing tiaras. The Tongan Government website splits the Coronation events into three: Coronation, Coronation Day and Luncheon. The Luncheon section (where the link opens) has 27 pages of pics, unfortunately they aren't captioned. All sections can be accessed from the link.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Siaosi Tupou V was crowned king of Tonga today in a lavish, pomp-filled ceremony attended by royalty from around the world alongside Tongans in traditional dress.

Tonga crowns a new king in lavish ceremony - Telegraph

King George Tupou V was crowned yesterday in the capital of Tonga, after five days of celebrations incorporating local and British traditions.
Hecatombs of roast pig were consumed as were appropriate amounts of mildly narcotic kava.

Kava and ermine - Telegraph
Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Commoner

I understand the plans to enact democratic reforms and make the Tongan government less autocratic, and I commend this decision. Regardless of where the power is seated, though, what is the overall status of the Tongan monarchy in terms of its future?

It has been reported that HM King George V is 60 years of age, a bachelor, and has no known heirs. Does anyone know what kind of extended royal family exists, and if there is an acceptable and legitimate successor?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

The assumption is that King George will become a fully constitutional monarch in the manner of Elizabeth II. What powers he retains have yet to be decided.

As to the succession issue, although the King has no legimitate heir who can inherit the throne, the Tongan Royal Family is extensive. See this Wiki entry. The order of succession according to this is:
  1. Prince ʻAhoʻeitu ʻUnuakiʻotonga Tukuʻaho, third son of King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV, better known as Tupoutoʻa Lavaka. Born 1959 and confirmed as Heir Presumptive September 2006.
  2. Prince Siaosi Manumataongo ʻAlaivahamamaʻo ʻAhoʻeitu Konstantin Tukuʻaho, elder son of (1), better known as ʻUlukālala, born 1985.
  3. Prince Uiliame ʻUnuakiʻ'otonga Lalaka mo e ʻEiki Tukuʻaho, younger son of (1), better known as Ata, born 1989.
  4. Princess ʻAngelika Lātūfuipeka Halaʻevalu Mataʻaho Napuaʻokalani Tukuʻaho, daughter of (1), born 1984.
  5. Princess Sālote Mafileʻo Pilolevu Tuita (born Tukuʻaho), daughter of King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV.
  6. Salote Lupepauʻu Tuita, daughter of (5)
  7. Ana Seini Fusituʻa, daughter of (6)
  8. Fanetupou Vavaʻu Tuita, second daughter of (5)
  9. Frederica Tuita, third daughter of (5)
  10. Lupeolo Tuita, fourth daughter of (5)
An explanation of Tongan succession and the constitutional issues involved can be found here.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Courtier

King blesses a little piece of Tonga in the midst of Sydney
24 Oct 2008

In a day of blustery winds and rain, a shower of royalty descended on the western suburbs of Sydney yesterday.

King George Tupou V, the new monarch of the Pacific island kingdom of Tonga, made Glendenning, the industrial zone of Rooty Hill, the focus of the first foreign tour of his reign.

The occasion was the opening of the new "district church" of the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga in Australia.

Full article w/picture: Sydney Morning Herald
Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

If you want to read about Tonga in the seventies, with many vignettes of the royalty and behavior of the royal members then, I recommend the true crime book: American Taboo: a murder in the Peace Corps, by Philip Weiss. It is about a group of American Peace Corps volunteers landing on the island in 1975, their interaction with the residents, the politics between the U.S and Tonga at that time, and of course the solving of a murder. You'll see how much as changed in almost 35 years. The simplicity of life for the royals is made very appealing.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Courtier

King of Tonga bows to history as democracy comes ashore
11 November 2009

The eccentric, monocle-wearing King of Tonga, who has ruled his small Pacific island kingdom with the sort of absolute authority familiar to Louis XIV but in short supply in recent times, is to relinquish his powers. And the man himself is said to be all for it.

King George Tupou V, who is 61, apparently saw the writing on the wall when his coronation had to be delayed for two years to allow pro-democracy riots to die down. He was finally crowned, with white ermine and a very English sort of crown, last year...

Full article: The Independent
Old 01-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

King George V of Tonga visited the Navy-museum in Hamburg.

Google Nachricht
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

An absolute monarch bent on giving up his power - News, People - The Independent

Schooled in England, the King of Tonga has returned to catch up with old friends – and contemplate the looming day when he will surrender his omnipotence and embrace democracy.

The Press Association: King of Tonga at National Arboretum

The King of Tonga has become the first overseas head of state to visit the National Memorial Arboretum.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:18 AM
Commoner

Great documentation Warren...I contemplate-unknowing on the future decisions to be made by HRH King Sia'osi Tupou V, and can only hope and pray for the greatest for His Kingdom...as a person with connections to this great family and kingdom, I can only wait and wonder...hmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The assumption is that King George will become a fully constitutional monarch in the manner of Elizabeth II. What powers he retains have yet to be decided.

As to the succession issue, although the King has no legimitate heir who can inherit the throne, the Tongan Royal Family is extensive. See this Wiki entry. The order of succession according to this is:
  1. Prince ʻAhoʻeitu ʻUnuakiʻotonga Tukuʻaho, third son of King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV, better known as Tupoutoʻa Lavaka. Born 1959 and confirmed as Heir Presumptive September 2006.
  2. Prince Siaosi Manumataongo ʻAlaivahamamaʻo ʻAhoʻeitu Konstantin Tukuʻaho, elder son of (1), better known as ʻUlukālala, born 1985.
  3. Prince Uiliame ʻUnuakiʻ'otonga Lalaka mo e ʻEiki Tukuʻaho, younger son of (1), better known as Ata, born 1989.
  4. Princess ʻAngelika Lātūfuipeka Halaʻevalu Mataʻaho Napuaʻokalani Tukuʻaho, daughter of (1), born 1984.
  5. Princess Sālote Mafileʻo Pilolevu Tuita (born Tukuʻaho), daughter of King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV.
  6. Salote Lupepauʻu Tuita, daughter of (5)
  7. Ana Seini Fusituʻa, daughter of (6)
  8. Fanetupou Vavaʻu Tuita, second daughter of (5)
  9. Frederica Tuita, third daughter of (5)
  10. Lupeolo Tuita, fourth daughter of (5)
An explanation of Tongan succession and the constitutional issues involved can be found here.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here's some more information about Princess Anne's visit to Tonga,
the above quoted site matangitonga.to has put together a large
number of nice pics of Anne meeting Tonga study tour participants
on March 20:

** Princess Anne meets Tonga study tour participants **

Princess Anne meeting participants in the Emerging Pacific Leaders'
Dialogue held in Tonga, 20 March 2010.

----> Pic

Princess Anne with Tonga's Princess Royal, HRH Pilolevu, Tonga's
Prime Minister Hon. Dr Feleti Sevele (right) and the Chairman of
the Commonwealth Study Conference, Mr Richard Warburton (left),
22 March 2010.

----> Pic
Old 03-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Natural gas project may open jobs for Tongans in PNG, says Crown Prince

HRH Crown Prince Tupouto'a-Lavaka presented his letter of credence, as the Tongan High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea to the PNG Governor General, Sir Paulius Matane in Port Moresby last week, and learned of future employment opportunities for Tongans in PNG.