The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Nobility

I sometimes think that the late, great Queen Salote must be turning in her grave at how the Tongan Royal Family has turned out. She would have seen that times change and the constitution has to move with it.
She lived a very unostentatious life and the little palace was good enough for her but not, it seems, for the new king who seems to have no intention of moving in to it.

Can I point out that Tonga is not the only kingdom in the Pacific? The Wallis and Futuna Islands consists of three kingdoms: Uvea, Sigave and Alo. They may not be as well known as Tonga but they are kingdoms just the same. Also, New Zealand is a Pacific kingdom.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Gentry

Sorry Iain. What I meant was that Tonga is the only sovereign indigenous Kingdom in the Pacific. All others are neither indigenous (Australia, NZ, and other British Commonwealth realms in the Pacific) nor sovereign (Wallis & Futuna).

Old 12-18-2007, 04:27 AM
Administrator

We have a thread on Royalty of (Western) Samoa for those who are interested.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

The Monarchy falls for there is people interested in this fact. There is more complex reasons for the Monarchy in Russia , Greece etc, was distroyed. It is not the place to speak politics (at least, it is what moderators said...so...), but my analize of the Russian and Greece revolutions makes me thinks that the fall of Monarchy was planed. It must fall. And it fell.

And now, I'm afraid of saying that if Tonga Monarchy must fall, it will fall. No doubt.

Vanesa.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Coronation celebrations are to be held on July 30 - Aug 3, 2008 for His Majesty King George V.

Quote:
CELEBRATIONS to commemorate the Coronation of HM King George V will be held in the capital, July 30-August 3 this year.

A tentative program launches the celebrations on July 30 with a Taumafakava or a Royal Kava Ceremony at Pangai Lahi followed by fireworks.
According to the source, on the King's recent trip to Europe he apparently invited several European royals to attend the ceremony, but confirmation has yet to be placed. I suppose other royals from Asia will also attend.

Read the entire story, which is in English, here.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 PM

Would it be too much to ask to see Charles and Camilla at this one? We'll probably end up with the Kents pretending they're still love's young dream.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I honestly doubt it, BeatrixFan. For one thing, it's a long, long trip to Tonga; nevertheless, it would be nice to see them there in honor of the new King.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Would it be too much to ask to see Charles and Camilla at this one? We'll probably end up with the Kents pretending they're still love's young dream.
The Royal House has anounced this:
Quote:
Friday, 1st August 2008

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will today attend the Coronation of King George Tupou V of Tonga.
Royal diary search results=
Pity don´t see Charles and Camila.
I wonder wich others Europeans Royal Families will atten.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Courtier

Finally the public knows when Tonga will crown their new king I can't wait to see the photos of this historic event and find out who else will be in attendence as well.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Majesty

The Coronation ceremonies commence for HM King George Tupou :
http://www.royalblog.nl/

you will find it all in english if you scroll down to "NewsSummary".

Courtesy dear HJA.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Constitutional change in the wind

From AP
King to cede power

A spokesman for Tonga's new King says he will give up many of his ruling
powers in a move that would end one of the world's last near-absolute
monarchies. King George Tupou V plans to hand control of the
government to the Prime Minister, although no timetable has been set.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Courtier

That is great news the king wants to modernize the monarchy more by giving the people the chance to vote in the near future.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Some links:

Gov-General to attend King of Tonga’s Coronation (NZ)

Tonga Coronation

King of Tonga coronation on TVNZ This one broadcasts online from 9am NZ time Friday

Dutch RF skips coronation King of Tonga
Old 07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a direct link to the live video of the coronation, which is scheduled to start in about 25 minutes.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Picture Gallery from El MUNDO

Pompa y lujo en la coronación del Rey de Tonga | elmundo.es

Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Courtier

And here is another video of the coronation in Tonga - found on the Spiegel Website:
Video - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten
Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

The coronation celebrations were quite impressive, King George looks so regal in his crown and train, and it's been interesting to see the native celebrations in the run up to the actual coronation celebrations. The only thing that disappoints me is the lack of foreign royal guests, a coronation is quite a rare event.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Getty Images Photo Gallery

Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess View Post
The coronation celebrations were quite impressive, King George looks so regal in his crown and train, and it's been interesting to see the native celebrations in the run up to the actual coronation celebrations. The only thing that disappoints me is the lack of foreign royal guests, a coronation is quite a rare event.
Well, I have seen the Japanese Crown Prince, the Duchess of Gloucester (right spelling?) as British representative and representative from the Thai royal family (though I could not name them - Sorry).
Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Well, I have seen the Japanese Crown Prince, the Duchess of Gloucester (right spelling?) as British representative and representative from the Thai royal family (though I could not name them - Sorry).
Yes I saw them (Crown Prince Naruhito, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Sri Maha Chakri Sirindhorn of Thailand, a Princess of Bhutan) too, but I think that there's too few royal representatives... There are only so many monarchies in this world, they should stick together, and especially at a unique event like a coronation which is only done in so few countries - they should send high representatives from all countries. A Vice President or a member of the Royal Family for example, or a minister at the minumum. Just letting the Ambassadors represent the country isn't enough in my viewpoint.