The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2006, 03:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Japanese crown prince attends state funeral of Tonga's king
.....The crown prince, dressed in a morning coat, attended a Christian church service at a palace in the South Pacific kingdom's capital Nuku'alofa with other international dignitaries.
He bowed to the king's coffin and later joined an estimated several thousand people to witness the king's body being interred in the royal tombs. The wreaths laid there included ones prepared by Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, the crown prince's parents......
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060919/kyodo/d8k7l4fo0.html

#1: Polfoto-Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito, left, delivers a wreath to the Tongan royal undertaker for the tomb of the late King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV at the state funeral in Nuku'alofa, Tonga Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2006.
#2-3: Profimedia
#2: Tonga's new King, King George Tupou V (R), shakes hands with the Japan's Prince Naruhito Crown Prince (L) as Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho watches after the funeral of the late King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, in Nuku'alofa, Tonga September 19, 2006.
#3: Crown Prince of Japan, Prince Naruhito (L), talks with Tonga's Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho at the funeral of her husband, the late King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, in Nuku'alofa September 19, 2006.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:17 AM
Aristocracy

...more from profimedia.cz

Duke and Duchess of Goucester photo 1-3
Australian Governor General Michael Jeffery photo 4
New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark photo 5
King George Tupou V photo 6-7

Old 09-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Serene Highness

Really interesting photos, IMO. The wreath that the Gloucesters presented is so beautifully made -wow! And Mandyy, in all the hundreds of photos you have posted of Naruhito -- I do think these are the first where he looks very serious (appropriately, obviously). He always has that little smile on his face and I had thought it was his way of being -- guess I'm wrong!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Aristocracy

Weinyer, Thank you for your pic, this ceromony is very unique, the first time I see royal funeral from Pacific Islands.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Latufuipeka (R), wearing a funeral mat made of pandanus, receives a member of the Tongan Ulukalala clan (L), from the Vava'u islands, who along with others was presenting a specially prepared lunch for the royal household, after arriving at the new Tongan king's residence in Nuku'alofa Tonga, 20 September 2006. The members of the Ulukalala clan were met by Princess Latufuipeka, the niece of the new Tongan king George Tupou V, the day after the state funeral of his father King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV.

from profimedia

Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I liked your photos and isnights very much. I've never seen a so detailed photo-account of a Pacific Islands Funeral. And much less one of a King.

Thank you very much for your priceless contribution.

Vanesa.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Nobility

King George has named his younger brother prince Ulakalala Lavaka Ata as the new crown prince. www.matangitonga.to
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Whenever I hear about Tonga, I remember that song that was written in the 1950s about Queen Salote which went;

"The Queen of Tonga,
Crossed the Ocean from Far Away,
The Queen of Tonga,
Came to Britain for Coronation Day"

And it goes on to say, "And when the people saw her, on that torrential morn, the people cheered and shouted, she took them all by storm" - and it really is a lovely song that sums up Queen Salote's cheerful demeanor.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Tonga's king appoints brother as heir

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Tonga's new king, Siaosi Tupou V, on Thursday appointed his younger brother as the South Pacific nation's crown prince and heir to the throne, officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060928/...tonga_royals_1
Old 10-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Royal Highness

An article on the Kingdom of Tonga and the other Kingdoms that dispute Tonga's claim as the only Kingdom in the South Pacific:

Three Swords: Kings of the South Pacific & Others
Friday 29 September 2006
By 'The Court Jester' (the writer's pen name) from Unnoficial Royal News site
Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Courtier

Ok so i know this is totally random but I was wondering... Does anyone know if any member of the Royal family of Tonga ever lived in Alaska or attended the University of Alaska, Anchorage? I think he's name starts with an "M". I think he might be like a nephew or something! I know this is totally weird but if someone could tell me or send me in the right direction that would be appreciated....
Old 12-26-2006, 02:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Tongan king's coronation delayed to 2008

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061225...n_061225195323
Old 01-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Commoner

I have visited the Kingdom of Tonga. Lovely people there and so welcoming to us few foreigners who visit their beautiful islands.

The Royal Palace is so small and simple. Everyone can meet the King in church on Sundays mornings. The islanders are very strict and traditional wearing the dress with woven mats on top. Tonga is an old fashioned "no frills" place like you will find nowhere else in the world.

Church services are most amazing, complete with brass bands and incredible choirs. The late King's funeral must have been quite an experience.

There are still very few tourists visiting the islands as there are not very many flights accessing the islands. Old Polynesia at its best.

I am very happy to see a thread about the Royal Family of Tonga on this forum. I am certainly planning to go there again in the next year or so.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:05 AM

Wow. Thankyou for your post MadameConcorde. I'd love to visit Tonga and it sounds like you really enjoyed it.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameConcorde
The Royal Palace is so small and simple. .
The palace consists of just 8 rooms. On the ground floor there is a throne Room, two small Sitting Rooms and room which used to be the Privy Council Chamber and doubled as a dining room. On the first floor there are four large bedrooms. In Queen Salote's time not only did she live here but also her 2 sons, 2 daughters in law, 8 grandchildren and a couple of the Queens elderly aunts. Queen Salote shared her bedroom with her eldest granddaughter princess Pilolevu.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Teen sentenced for crash that killed Tongan royals, driver - CNN.com

The Explorer flipped and rolled over several times, killing Tonga's Prince Tu'ipelehake, 55; his wife, Princess Kaimana Aleamotu'a Tuku'aho, 46; and their driver, Vinisia Hefa, 36, of East Palo Alto.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Courtier

The madness of King George of Tonga - 17 Sep 2006 - NZ Herald: World / International News
17 Sep 2006
As the classic London taxi chauffeuring Tonga's new King sweeps through ornate gates and turns left towards the shabbiness of Nuku'alofa, a small boy squats nearby in the roadside dust and heat, hoping to sell tendrils of slimy octopus...

His Majesty King Siaosi Tupou V Visits Tonga Temple
26 Sep 2007
On September 25th, His Majesty King Siaosi Tupou V was the Guest of Honour at a special ceremony to commemorate the occasion of the completion of the renovation of the Tonga Temple...
Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Thank you for keeping us updated about Tonga's Kingdom. I like it...However, I wish I could seen someday a true Tongan Monarchy...thi is not to Anglophile. I love English people, but Tongans must be Tongans. Oceanic culture is so rich (Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia), that it should be sad to have it totally lost...

Vanesa.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Courtier

The Royal Tonga International Hotel opens for business today
9 Oct 2007
After 15 years of construction, the Royal Tonga International Hotel, better known as "Dr Wong's hotel" was finally opened for business this morning, October 9 by HM King George Tupou V.
Rest of article (with photos)
Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Gentry

Its sad the way things have turned out for the worse in Tonga. It is obvious that the royal family are either unaware or just plain ignorant of the plight of the grassroots. Tonga continues to be led by an outdated constitution which legitimizes autocratic rule. If they do not change their attitude, then the monarchy in Tonga would be heading in the same direction as those of Greece, Russia, etc. Tongans are proud to have the only kingdom in the Pacific and so are many of us other Pacific Islanders with Tongan ancestry. It would be sad to lose this rare jewel of the South Pacific.