The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Does the king of Cambodia have a Queen? Or children or is the house of norodom just himself and his parents?
HM the King Norodom Sihamoni is not married, without children.
King's official website

It does not matter in Cambodia if the King has offsprings, because they are not supposed to inherit the throne. The king is elected from the vast number of royal princes.
Read more

Old 11-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Cambodian Ambassador to Malaysia Princess Norodom Arunrasmy speaks on the ban imposed by Cambodia on sending its citizens to work as domestic helpers to Malaysia. - Full article

Old 11-28-2011, 03:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Khmer Rouge leader asks why Cambodia's ex-king not in dock | Reuters
The former head of state in Cambodia under the ultra-Maoist Khmer Rouge denied involvement in mass killings under the regime in the 1970s and asked prosecutors on Wednesday why ex-King Norodom Sihanouk, a sometime ally, was not also in the dock.
[...]
In court, he suggested that if he witnessed mass killings as prosecutors allege, so too would have former King Norodom Sihanouk, who was briefly head of state when the Khmer Rouge took over. He became king again in 1993 and abdicated in 2004.
Why don't you invite King Sihanouk to join me in the dock?" Khieu Samphan said. "Do you really think, Mr. Prosecutor, when I visited these work sites accompanied by the king, workers were murdered in front of us with hoes or bullets in the back of the neck?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Former King Won't React to Allegations at Tribunal
Ex-head of state Khieu Samphan asked the court earlier this month why Norodom Sihanouk had not been called before the court, because he led a political coalition that included the Khmer Rouge and was intent on reclaiming the throne after he was deposed in a US-backed coup in 1970. Nuon Chea, Pol Pot’s former lieutenant, told the court that Norodom Sihanouk had visited members of the Khmer Rouge for a week in 1973.
Both men are on trial alongside ex-foreign minister Ieng Sary for atrocity crimes, including genocide, in a trial that has helped shed light on the inner workings of the secretive regime.
Long Narin, a witness for the court, said in testimony that the Khmer Rouge resistance had grown “following Sihanouk’s call.”
Sisowath Thomico, a prince and spokesman for Norodom Sihanouk, told VOA Khmer on Friday the former king follows the court proceedings occasionally, “but he won’t make any special reaction” to the testimony of the suspects or witnesses.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

King Father archive goes live | National news | The Phnom Penh Post
An extensive, and sometimes eccentric, collection of former king Norodom Sihanouk’s personal records has just become available to the world, thanks to the digitising efforts of an Australian university known for its Asian research resources.
On Monday, Melbourne’s Monash University announced the completion of digitisation of selected materials in its Norodom Sihanouk Archival Collection, which the former king bequeathed to the university in 2004.

Online window to Cambodian history | Asian Correspondent
For the first time historians, researchers and students of Asian studies have online access to one of the world’s most significant archives of Cambodian history.
The archives are digitised versions of documents, photos, music and journals from the personal collection of the former King of Cambodia, Norodom Sihanouk (1941–55 and 1993–2004). Sihanouk bequeathed part of his personal archives to the University in 2004.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Cambodia royal family seeks medical care in China
Cambodia's royal family has traveled together to China for medical checkups. King Norodom Sihamoni accompanied his mother and his father, the former king Norodom Sihanouk, to Beijing on Thursday for what family members called routine medical visits.
The 89-year-old former king has suffered a variety of health problems and in recent years has spent most of his time in China, where his doctors are based.
In October, he vowed never to leave his homeland again, saying he would ask his Chinese doctors to come to Cambodia.

daylife gallery
Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (2nd L) visits former Cambodian King Norodom Sihanouk (2nd R), his wife Norodom Monineath (1st R) and Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni (1st L) in Beijing, capital of China, Jan. 20, 2012. Wen Jiabao visited the Cambodian royal family members here on Friday to extend Lunar New Year greetings. Wen also conveyed President Hu Jintao's greetings to them, and wished Sihanouk and his wife good health.

**Pic** - Xinhua/Rao Aimin
Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Norodom Soma, a Cambodian model, radio presenter and great niece of former King Norodom Sihanouk in the in the December 2011 issue of AsiaLIFE.

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** - scans from magazine
**Pic** - Norodom Soma (R) and friend posing for a photoshoot. The picture above is of King Norodom Sihanouk & Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
**Pic** - Soma with her uncle, Prince Sisowath Sirirath, reading her story in the December 2011 issue of AsiaLIFE.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

Huh, the lesser known Cambodian royals I also know that the present king had a brother that died but had two children.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

King Norodom Sihamoni had not one but at least thirteen siblings. The King's only full related brother was Norodom Narindrapong; he died fairly recently, in 2003, at the age of only 49. His two daughters were Norodom Simonarine and Norodom Moninouk.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Commoner

Nice to return at this forum.

My pathetic much less known in the next generation of Cambodian about royal family, the young generation are much more influenced by the foreign culture.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Sisowath Chansida scatters grains of rice during the annual royal ploughing ceremony in Phnom Penh today.

http://i48.tinypic.com/28gqsgn.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/28vcf91.jpg
Old 05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Nobility

I have a questions about Princess Buppha Devi. Every version of her bio online states that she became the principal dancer of the Cambodian ballet at 15 and was named prima ballerina 3 years later. It also says she married at 15 and that her first two children were born in the first 2 years of the marriage. Is this correct? She was both principal dancer and having children at the same time? Seems like a lot to be doing at once and I wonder if the facts I'm reading are correct. I'm not criticizing just trying to understand the timeline.

Even her official bio gives the same info:

King-Father Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia
Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

The King of Cambodia receives a royal guest in an official visit-CP Naruhito of Japan.
Noblesse & Royautés » Le roi du Cambodge reçoit le prince héritier du Japon
Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Aristocracy

Cambodia's former King Norodom Sihanouk dies at 89

Cambodia's former King Norodom Sihanouk dies at 89 - World - CBC News
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceallach View Post
Cambodia's former King Norodom Sihanouk dies at 89

Cambodia's former King Norodom Sihanouk dies at 89 - World - CBC News

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/154122342

Oh no. Heartfelt condolences over the passing of His Majesty. May God bless his dear soul. Rest in peace.

King Norodom Sihamoni has left for China to bring back the mortal remains of his late father.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/154129482

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/154129554

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/154129439

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/154136783

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/738382.shtml
Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Gentry

He was certainly a colourful character, but I have never really been able to make up my mind about him. In the late 1980s I did a unit on the history of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. My main research paper was on Norodom Sihanouk, and I set out to present him in a favourable light. But about half way through writing I found myself having grave doubts about the role this man played in the history of Cambodia. I concluded that he had used and manipulated the monarchy for his own political purposes. He abdicated in 1960 in favour of his father, King Norodom Suramarit, so he could become Prime Minister and rule the country unencumbered by the trappings and restrictions of kingship. Yet he would continue to use his royal prestige to pursue his own agenda for the rest of his life. When his father died in 1960, Norodom Sihanouk made his mother, Queen Kossamak, the ceremonial representative of the monarchy. But the throne itself was left empty; Norodom Sihanouk did not want to share the lime light with a new king.

After his overthrow and the declaration of the Khmer Republic he looked to the Khmer Rouge for support. Not to restore the monarchy, but to restore himself to power, even if that meant embracing communism. This happened in 1975 with the founding of Democratic Kampuchea. It is, I think, the most unsavoury part of his political career. He may not have been involved with the genocide that swept Cambodia, and ultimately he became a virtual hostage of the Khmer Rouge. But he was officially Head of State for the first year of the reign of terror, and who knows to what extent his prestige enabled Pol Pot to come to power. It seems that his earlier visits to the Khmer Rouge in the field caused a huge increase in their numbers: Cambodians thought they were supporting their former king, not a communist revolution.

I visited Cambodia a couple of years ago, and spent a day at the Killing Fields at Choeung Ek, and then a very disturbing morning at the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. It is unbelievable what the people of Cambodia suffered. Norodom Sihanouk may not have been personally responsible for the Killing Fields, and he was unlucky enough to find himself walking the tightrope of Cold War politics beyond his control. But in his pursuit of personal power he made choices that played a role in bringing immense suffering to Cambodia. It will be interesting to see how Cambodian's react to his death.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Courtier

The mortal remains of King-Father Norodom Sihanouk will arrive in Phnom Penh this Wednesday and the lie-in-state will be held for three months before the Royal cremation takes place. This means that everyone will have more than sufficient time to pay the final respect.

Cambodia to display ex-king's body for three months

If there is any Cambodian poster here who knows or familiar with Cambodian Royal customs, would like to ask if the general public including foreigners are allowed to pay the last respect?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Cambodia's ex-king Norodom Sihanouk dies

Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Here are some pictures of the King with Princess Margaret

http://i50.tinypic.com/315egp3.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2j362b4.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2lvmq07.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zufs0.jpg