Kingdom of Cambodia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Norodom Chantaraingsey
a cousin of former King Norodom Sihanouk, was one of the few royals to join with the anti-monarchist regime established by General Lon Nol in 1970.

Minh Chin last spoke to her husband 35 years ago, over a crackly phone line. She was in Phnom Penh, on the eve of the city’s fall to the Khmer Rouge, and he was on the outskirts, preparing for his last stand against the communists. “He called me to say that our regime was lost and that we would meet again after the country got peace, and he told me to do everything the Khmer Rouge soldiers ordered me to do,” she recalled. The line then went dead, and after more than 25 years of marriage, that was the last she heard or saw of him. “I don’t know how he died, where he died, or when he died,” she said, wiping away a tear.

A largely forgotten figure in the West, Chantaraingsey still retains a potent mystique in rural Cambodia. A keen advocate for Cambodian independence, the prince was one of the few royals to throw in their with Lon Nol’s Khmer Republic, which abolished the monarchy in October 1970 and ran the country until 1975. After Chantaraingsey’s cousin, then-Prince Norodom Sihanouk, was overthrown in March 1970, he took up command of a military brigade in Kampong Speu. From 1972 until the fall of Lon Nol, Chantaraingsey served as brigadier general, presiding over a virtually autonomous fief.

Most sources agree Chantaraingsey was killed by the Khmer Rouge some time after they seized power in April 1975.

As the former wife of a royal, Minh Chin said she visited Sihanouk several times after he returned to the country and was crowned king in 1993. But her links to the palace – formalised only by marriage – gradually wore thin, until the old connection merely reminded her of past pains. In 1994, she retired to the pagoda in Trapaing Mon, where she has spent the past 15 years in the traditional Khmer fashion, praying and cooking food for the resident monks.

Full article - Phnom Penh Post

Last edited by a moderator:
Cambodian Prince Norodom Ranariddh returned to politics Saturday with a vow to reinvigorate the flagging royalist movement, taking the helm of his former party which has re-adopted his name.The 66-year-old son of former king Norodom Sihanouk said in a speech that he was returning to politics to re-unite royalists ahead of 2012 local elections and a 2013 general election. - AFP

Ranariddh speaks out - Phnom Penh Post

I had in my college English class a Cambodian guy named Vichich(not the exact spelling) and I remember a time he was telling me that he's a prince. I didn't believe him then, but now it kinda makes me think maybe he is. Anyway, I don't keep in touch with him anymore.
:bang:
There's no such name like this in Cambodia, Shame my sophomore in thailand, I had joined the students of elementary class over there, actually i was studied English sinced 1989, and backed to 2001 i there're not many classmate reading and spoken English, i was in the elementary class like a kids.:ROFLMAO: That was my patient with the all the students are just started to learn English very slowly in Thialand,everything seemed backward sometime for me,My interesting was the spot of the the mixed cilvilization in the Kingdom of Thailand the culture and civilization are derivable eachother between the both kingdoms.

Last edited:
Cambodian Princess to attend Czech Opera Ball

Cambodian Princess Norodom Arunrasmy, sister of King Norodom Sihamoni, will be the patron of the traditional Czech Opera Ball to be held in the State Opera building in Prague centre on February 5, 2011, its organisers announced Tuesday. The event will be held under the aegis of the Prague and Vienna mayors, and in the Cambodian colours since Princess Arunrasmy will attend it this year. - Prague Daily Monitor

Cambodian Princess Norodom Arunrasmy, sister of King Norodom Sihamoni, will be the patron of the traditional Czech Opera Ball to be held in the State Opera building in Prague centre on February 5, 2011, its organisers announced Tuesday. The event will be held under the aegis of the Prague and Vienna mayors, and in the Cambodian colours since Princess Arunrasmy will attend it this year. - Prague Daily Monitor

Anyone know more about princess programme in Czech Republic?

Princess arrived today to the Czech republic. Her first engagemnet was opening the exhibition about her brothers last visit in Czech republic in school where he studied. She was very kind to everyone.
Some pictures here: Kambod

Some pictures form yesterday Czech Opera Ball. Princess broke protocool and danced.: Princezna poru

Cambodia says King to miss British royal wedding - Bangkok Post
Cambodian King Norodom Sihamoni cannot attend the wedding of Britain's Prince William, Phnom Penh's foreign ministry said Saturday, but denied he had ignored the invitation. British daily The Sun had reported that King Sihamoni was the only one of and estimated 40 foreign royals invited to the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton on April 29 not to reply.
"His Majesty the King already responded to the invitation on April 8," Cambodian foreign ministry spokesman Koy Kuong told AFP.
"Due to his royal work, the king is unable to attend the royal wedding," he added.

AFP: Cambodia's royal oxen fail to predict rice harvest
Cambodia's royal oxen shunned rice grain on Saturday during an ancient ceremony to predict the country's agricultural fortunes -- prompting fears of a poor rice harvest among superstitious farmers.
King Norodom Sihamoni presided over the ritual in a park outside the palace where thousands of people watched royal astrologers observing the animals' behaviour.
Reuters gallery via daylife

Last edited:
Cambodia's king seen as a 'prisoner' in his palace
As the sun sets and the last tourist departs his vast, fairy-tale palace, the gentle, dignified man is left almost alone with memories of happier times, before he became the reluctant king of Cambodia — and perhaps its last.
King Norodom Sihamoni may be heir to a royal line trailing back some 2,000 years, but he always seemed more suited to the arts scene in Europe, where he was a ballet dancer, than the rough and tumble politics of his homeland.

Now, close aides and experts say, he has become figuratively, and more, a prisoner in his own palace.

French premier to visit Cambodia in July - The Mainichi Daily News
The prime minister of Cambodia's former colonial protector will make an official visit early next month, the first visit by a French leader in nearly two decades, Cambodia's Foreign Ministry said Wednesday. Francois Fillon will make a two-day visit to Cambodia on July 2 and 3, it said.
Fillon will meet with Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni and his father, retired King Norodom Sihanouk, as well as Prime Minister Hun Sen and other leaders.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon (R) holds a floral offering as cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni smiles during the inauguration ceremony of the Baphuon temple in Siem Reap July 3, 2011. Fillon and King Sihamoni will be among the first to tour the Baphuon temple at the ceremony, which celebrates the completion of the temple's restoration by the Ecole francaise d'Extreme-Orient (EFEO), and its reopening to the public. The restoration of the 11th century temple began in the 1960s but was suspended in 1971 during the country's civil war. The French restarted the restoration work in 1995 temple with a funding of 10 million euros (14 million), according to the French Embassy.

daylife gallery

Wikileaks reveals diplomatic cables on Cambodian RF

Asia Times Online :: Split personalities revealed in Cambodia
A particular target is Prince Norodom Ranariddh, then leader of the Funcinpec party, whose limelight-stealing antics following the October 2004 abdication of King Norodom Sihanouk and the accession of the prince's half-brother Sihamoni prompted some colorful take-downs from embassy officials.
One cable (04PHNOMPENH1701), titled "Cambodia's Man Who Won't Be King - Ranariddh's Snit Fit", paints a picture of a prince acting in "childish and petulant" manner, out of apparent pique at being "passed over for a younger half-brother as King".
In one instance documented in the cable, Ranariddh flew into a rage when he had the central palace gates closed in his face while he was attempting to follow the king's motorcade, ordering the dismissal of the palace's head of security; a few days later, he failed to attend a Buddhist coronation ceremony for royals.
In contrast, the cables paint a positive picture of King Sihamoni, describing his "regal" behavior during his coronation (04PHNOMPENH1701). Another dispatch following the coronation (04PHNOMPENH1985) claimed that he had brought "a new sense of dignity to the royal house" and was a welcome change to Sihanouk and the wayward Ranariddh.

Cambodian ailing former king Norodom Sihanouk left his country for Beijing on August 3 to undergo medical tests, officials said.

daylife photogallery

Cambodian former king Norodom Sihanouk greets officials upon his arrival at Phnom Penh international airport October 27, 2011.
Sihanouk, his wife and his son King Norodom Sihamoni returned to Cambodia after medical treatment in China.
Cambodian will celebrate the Coronation day of King Norodom Sihamoni on October 29 and Sihanouk's birthday on October 31.

daylife gallery

Cambodia marks 20th anniversary of King's return to the country

On October 30, 2011 as Cambodia marks the 20th anniversary of former King Sihanouk's return to the country from exile.
Tens of thousands of people, waving Cambodian flags and portraits of Sihanouk, gathered outside the royal palace in the capital as the ex-king said he would stay in the country forever.

daylife gallery

Cambodia's ailing former King Sihanouk vows to never leave his homeland again - The Washington Post

AFP: Cambodia marks anniversary of ex-king's return

Does the king of Cambodia have a Queen? Or children or is the house of norodom just himself and his parents?

Does the king of Cambodia have a Queen? Or children or is the house of norodom just himself and his parents?
HM the King Norodom Sihamoni is not married, without children.
King's official website

It does not matter in Cambodia if the King has offsprings, because they are not supposed to inherit the throne. The king is elected from the vast number of royal princes.
Read more

Cambodian Ambassador to Malaysia Princess Norodom Arunrasmy speaks on the ban imposed by Cambodia on sending its citizens to work as domestic helpers to Malaysia. - Full article

Khmer Rouge leader asks why Cambodia's ex-king not in dock | Reuters
The former head of state in Cambodia under the ultra-Maoist Khmer Rouge denied involvement in mass killings under the regime in the 1970s and asked prosecutors on Wednesday why ex-King Norodom Sihanouk, a sometime ally, was not also in the dock.
[...]
In court, he suggested that if he witnessed mass killings as prosecutors allege, so too would have former King Norodom Sihanouk, who was briefly head of state when the Khmer Rouge took over. He became king again in 1993 and abdicated in 2004.
Why don't you invite King Sihanouk to join me in the dock?" Khieu Samphan said. "Do you really think, Mr. Prosecutor, when I visited these work sites accompanied by the king, workers were murdered in front of us with hoes or bullets in the back of the neck?

:previous:
Former King Won't React to Allegations at Tribunal
Ex-head of state Khieu Samphan asked the court earlier this month why Norodom Sihanouk had not been called before the court, because he led a political coalition that included the Khmer Rouge and was intent on reclaiming the throne after he was deposed in a US-backed coup in 1970. Nuon Chea, Pol Pot’s former lieutenant, told the court that Norodom Sihanouk had visited members of the Khmer Rouge for a week in 1973.
Both men are on trial alongside ex-foreign minister Ieng Sary for atrocity crimes, including genocide, in a trial that has helped shed light on the inner workings of the secretive regime.
Long Narin, a witness for the court, said in testimony that the Khmer Rouge resistance had grown “following Sihanouk’s call.”
Sisowath Thomico, a prince and spokesman for Norodom Sihanouk, told VOA Khmer on Friday the former king follows the court proceedings occasionally, “but he won’t make any special reaction” to the testimony of the suspects or witnesses.

King Father archive goes live | National news | The Phnom Penh Post
An extensive, and sometimes eccentric, collection of former king Norodom Sihanouk’s personal records has just become available to the world, thanks to the digitising efforts of an Australian university known for its Asian research resources.
On Monday, Melbourne’s Monash University announced the completion of digitisation of selected materials in its Norodom Sihanouk Archival Collection, which the former king bequeathed to the university in 2004.

Online window to Cambodian history | Asian Correspondent
For the first time historians, researchers and students of Asian studies have online access to one of the world’s most significant archives of Cambodian history.
The archives are digitised versions of documents, photos, music and journals from the personal collection of the former King of Cambodia, Norodom Sihanouk (1941–55 and 1993–2004). Sihanouk bequeathed part of his personal archives to the University in 2004.

Cambodia royal family seeks medical care in China
Cambodia's royal family has traveled together to China for medical checkups. King Norodom Sihamoni accompanied his mother and his father, the former king Norodom Sihanouk, to Beijing on Thursday for what family members called routine medical visits.
The 89-year-old former king has suffered a variety of health problems and in recent years has spent most of his time in China, where his doctors are based.
In October, he vowed never to leave his homeland again, saying he would ask his Chinese doctors to come to Cambodia.

daylife gallery

Last edited:
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (2nd L) visits former Cambodian King Norodom Sihanouk (2nd R), his wife Norodom Monineath (1st R) and Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni (1st L) in Beijing, capital of China, Jan. 20, 2012. Wen Jiabao visited the Cambodian royal family members here on Friday to extend Lunar New Year greetings. Wen also conveyed President Hu Jintao's greetings to them, and wished Sihanouk and his wife good health.

**Pic** - Xinhua/Rao Aimin

Norodom Soma, a Cambodian model, radio presenter and great niece of former King Norodom Sihanouk in the in the December 2011 issue of AsiaLIFE.

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** - scans from magazine
**Pic** - Norodom Soma (R) and friend posing for a photoshoot. The picture above is of King Norodom Sihanouk & Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
**Pic** - Soma with her uncle, Prince Sisowath Sirirath, reading her story in the December 2011 issue of AsiaLIFE.

Last edited:
Huh, the lesser known Cambodian royals I also know that the present king had a brother that died but had two children.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Norodom Sihamoni had not one but at least thirteen siblings. The King's only full related brother was Norodom Narindrapong; he died fairly recently, in 2003, at the age of only 49. His two daughters were Norodom Simonarine and Norodom Moninouk.

Back
Top Bottom