King Jigme, Queen Jetsun Pema and the Royal Family of Bhutan 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
15 April, 2016: His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Gyaltsuen offered prayers at the Thimphu Changangkha Lhakhang along with His Royal Highness The Gyalsey before departing for Punakha.
The Naming Cermony for His Royal Highness The Gyalsey will be held at the Punakha Dzong tomorrow coinciding with the auspicious day of Zhabdrung Kuchoe. Zhabdrung Kuchoe is being celebrated in a special way this year to mark the 400th anniversary of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel's arrival in Bhutan.
https://www.facebook.com/KingJigmeKhesar/posts/10153986504568260

I'm looking forward into hearing The Gyalsey's name tommorow! I hope that photos will be released of the ceremony, it will be nice to see what he looks like now.

I am hoping for new close ups as well :)

I think Jigme is as sure of a bet as a first name as Christian was in Denmark. The four previous kings, and two of the current king's brothers have it.

I guess they will use "Jigme" as first name as with the baby`s father, grandfather & ancestors. Maybe the second name will be new. "Namgyel " is also a possible name IMO.

Last edited:
Ugyen is likely the second best guess. Ugyen is the name of the first king (the only one of 5 not to be named Jigme). It also the king's maternal grandfather's name, Ugyen Dorji. As well as one of the current king's brothers has it as a first and another as a second name.

It would be nice if they included Dhondup for the queen's father.

The Bhutan national TV - BBS will broadcast the naming ceremony of HRH The Gyalsey, Prince of Bhutan, at 11.15 AM local time ( GMT+6).

I'm looking forward into hearing The Gyalsey's name tommorow! I hope that photos will be released of the ceremony, it will be nice to see what he looks like now.

I also can't wait to hear what that sweet little bundle of joy's name will be. While I'm guessing we'll get formal pictures, not so sure if there will be ones of the actual ceremony though. I'm going on guesswork and instinct here, but considering just how sacred this Ceremony is, I don't think or know if cameras are allowed inside a Buddhist Temple for very Sacred Ceremonies like this. So I won't be disappointed if we don't get any pictures of the actual Ceremony and happy if we do, but kind of leaning towards nothing from the actual Ceremony.

I think the perfect picture would be of Their Majesties w/The Gyalsey in Daddy's arms, in the one part of the Gardens where there are the most flowers in bloom right now. My favourite pictures of the King and Queen have been when they're around flowers and/or flowering shrubs/trees. There's just something about them in surroundings like that...It just really suits them IMO.

Looking forward to learning His Little Royal Highness' name tomorrow sometime. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

No surprise: Prince Jigme Namgyal Wangchuk.

Lovely views of the prince as his father carried him. I was surprised how far back the queen was. I know in those cultures the wife follows but she was feet behind her husband and within a group of other people during much of it.

I wasn't surprised by his name, it was expected. But the newest Jigme is super adorable, I love his little chubby cheeks. It's getting late over here so I shall have to watch the footage of the naming ceremony tomorrow, but I liked the vibrant colours of the ceremony and the food (shown in one of the photos) looked good.

So, named after Dad? Am I missing some nuance?

I would presume so, but Jigme is also a common name within the Bhutanese RF so his name is following a tradition also. :)

So, named after Dad? Am I missing some nuance?

There have been five kings of modern Bhutan. The last four have been named Jigme. Ugyen (also a common name in the RF) was the name of the first. So no surprise that the future king was also named Jigme. The king's only full brother is also named Jigme (Jigme Dorji), and another half brother has it as a middle name.

Namgyal is in honor of Ngawang Namgyal who is considered the founder of Bhutan. The name day was chosen specially as it was the Zhabdrung Kuchoe (death day) of Namgyal. It was extra special as it was the 400th anniversary of the year Namgyal entered the country we now know as Bhutan. So while the baby shares his name with his father, it is also a nod to the founder on whose death day he was named.

They released a photo of the grandpa and baby when he was born. I would love to see one of the baby with his grandmother, or great-grandmother. Bhutan has the rare honor of being the only kingdom with a 'king's grandmother'. I assume the women who were part of the ceremony, with the queen, were the king's mother and aunts/stepmothers.

She is 85 years old but she looks so much younger IMO. It would be cool if she lived to see her great-grandson become King.

:ohmy: As young as she may seem at 85, that isn't quite realistic. I don't see her living to the ripe age of 114 (when the king will be 65, mandatory abdication age since the new constitution). I have a feeling she will have to happily settle for seeing her son and now grandson take the throne.

seen here with her son, grandson, granddaughter in law and the monk at the naming ceremony

http://www.bhutanmajestictravel.com...y-joined-the-zhung-dratshang-to-offer-te.html

with her son the 4th king
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bhutanmajestictravel/17338401513

A lovely photo of her with her 4 daughter in laws and Jetsun
https://pursuebhutantours.files.wor...9_10153100664703260_1495894039878107617_n.jpg

Like Jetsun, she was her husband's only spouse. The second king was also polygamous like the 4th.

I love how down to earth these two are. I honestly can't imagine a western prince not alone king sitting in a cafeteria and chopping vegetables for lunch. Other than maybe in a fancy suit for a photo op and moving on. Now this is truly getting ones hands dirty. :flowers:

That's such a wonderful and down to earth thing for King Jigme to do, the Bhutanese King and Queen seem to be very likeable.

Last edited:
Great to see Sirindhorn taking her work into Bhutan:flowers: Sinrindorn started the program over 30 years ago. As a teacher herself, at the military academy, she seems vey passionate about improving the education and living standards of children in rural areas. I am sure the people of Bhutan will benefit greatly from her program becoming involved there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom