The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Coronation of His Majesty King Tupou VI of Tonga: 4 July 2015

Arms of The Kingdom of Tonga

The Coronation of His Majesty King Tupou VI's Coronation will take place on Saturday 4th July 2015.

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder if the King will wear silk breeches for his coronation, like his brother, or revert to trousers like his father. I liked the silk breeches, and the late King George Tupoa V sure could pull off an eccentric outfit with panache. But maybe that is not King Tupoa VI's style.

Tongan King to be crowned on July 4th | Radio New Zealand News

Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 AM
Serene Highness

Is there a specific reason why this coronation takes place that late, more than 3 years after the King´s accession?
Old 01-28-2015, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Is there a specific reason why this coronation takes place that late, more than 3 years after the King´s accession?
I had the impression that it was for economic reasons as the previous coronation was quite costly, but other than that I can't think of a reason. Nonetheless, we have a coronation date at long last and if the previous coronations are anything to go by, it should be a great event to watch.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

I want to see more news about this coronation.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:08 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Coronation of His Majesty King Tupou VI of Tonga

The crown prince and crown princess of Japan will attend the coronation ceremony on July 4th.

source: royalblog.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are any other confirmations of other royals attending? I remenber from the last coronation in Tonga, that royals from Bhutan attended, I wonder if they'll attend this one as well.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Retired Methodist Minister to Crown Tongan King

Quote:
Included in his task will be the anointing the King with oil, the presentation of a Bible as he takes the oath and crowning him.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It looks like the King is returning to Tongan tradition by having a minister crown him instead of a bishop as his brother did. I wonder if he will kneel to be crowned. King George sat on a throne for his coronation but all previous monarchs knelt on a preideau.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:36 AM
Courtier

i guess the gloucesters will attend. Tonga has always been their territory..
Old 06-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Majesty

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/3164544.html

The above post by karinna_87 contains photos of the royal ceremony "Taumafa Kava". It commences coronation festivities.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Aristocracy

The British High Commissioner to Tonga will represent the United Kingdom at the Coronation on Saturday.

Lord Glenarthur to attend Coronation | Matangi Tonga
Old 07-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
I wonder if the King will wear silk breeches for his coronation, like his brother, or revert to trousers like his father. I liked the silk breeches, and the late King George Tupoa V sure could pull off an eccentric outfit with panache. But maybe that is not King Tupoa VI's style.

Tongan King to be crowned on July 4th | Radio New Zealand News
I don’t think King Tupou will wear breaches. He is comes over as being very traditional in his ways like his grandmother Queen Salote. When she ascended the throne Tongan nobles wore European clothes and she opened parliament wearing robes and crown. She done away with all that opting to wear Tongan dress most of the time, even at the opening of parliament.

A Tongan friend told me that King George had delusions of grandeur. He very seldom wore Tongan dress and from the start of reign he refused to live in the eight roomed royal palace opting to remain in his far larger and opulent “villa.” His father King Taufa’ahua only moved out of the palace when he could no longer manage the stairs, as did Queen Salote before him.

It has to be said that the palace was too small for purpose. When King Tupou was a child the entire royal family lived there, The Queen, her two sons, two daughters in law, eight grandchildren and two of Queen Salote’s elderly aunts all crammed into the small building. The ground floor consisted of the throne room, Privy Council Room which doubled as a dining room (both only the size of a large sitting room,) and two small sitting rooms. On the first floor there were four bedrooms. The toilets and shower rooms were outside on the verandas. During Queen Salote’s reign there were plans to build a larger palace but she is reported as saying “they can build as many palaces as they like, but I am staying here where I was born.” King George did set about enlarging the palace but had no intention of living there instead giving over part of it to house the Tongan archives.

King George was a great admirer of British royalty as so based his coronation on that of Queen Elizabeth, hence the Archbishop and being crowned while sitting on a large throne, (apparently some in Tonga wondered if he would order a golden coach but he didn’t.) This was going against Tongan tradition where the monarch knelt to be crowned by a Wesleyan minister as had his father, grandmother and great grandfather before him. At King Tauf’ahua’s coronation the other members of the royal family wore Tongan dress but at King George’s it was European dress with the ladies wearing tiaras and the Queen Mother in her coronation robes.

King Tupou wears Tongan dress most of the time, even when opening parliament (his father wore a uniform) and I think that he will return to the more Tongan style of coronation by kneeling to be crowned.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Majesty

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/3172468.html

The above post by karinna_87 contains photos of guests attending the coronation. The UK is represented by Simon Arthur, 4th Baron Glenarthur. Princess Marie-Therese von Hohenberg, Lady Bailey, and her spouse will be in attedance.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/3172468.html

The above post by karinna_87 contains photos of guests attending the coronation. The UK is represented by Simon Arthur, 4th Baron Glenarthur. Princess Marie-Therese von Hohenberg, Lady Bailey, and her spouse will be in attedance.
A bit of an insult if the UK can't even send a member of the royal family to the coronation.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Nobility

While today is Friday in Europe it will soon be Saturday in Tonga and that means Coronation Day. It is being broadcast live on New Zealand TV and as Tonga is at present 12 hours ahead of the UK that means it can be seen at 10 p.m. UK time this evening.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:03 AM
Aristocracy

Here's a link to watch the coronation on TV New Zealand tomorrow morning.

Tongan King's coronation to be streamed live by ONE News - One News | TVNZ

It's a pity nobody from the British Royal Family is going. The Governors-General of Australia and New Zealand are going. It will be nice to see the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan. The Japanese Imperial House is always so good at sending appropriate representatives overseas for important royal occasions, from Stockholm to Nuku'alofa.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The crown prince and crown princess of Japan have arrived.

Article:
Crown Prince, Princess arrive in Tonga; her first trip abroad in two years | The Japan Times

Photos:
Pictures | Getty Images
Old 07-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
Here's a link to watch the coronation on TV New Zealand tomorrow morning.

Tongan King's coronation to be streamed live by ONE News - One News | TVNZ

It's a pity nobody from the British Royal Family is going. The Governors-General of Australia and New Zealand are going. It will be nice to see the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan. The Japanese Imperial House is always so good at sending appropriate representatives overseas for important royal occasions, from Stockholm to Nuku'alofa.
A pity? it's a damn disgrace. I went off the Windsors a long time ago and it's things like this that make me remember why.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
While today is Friday in Europe it will soon be Saturday in Tonga and that means Coronation Day. It is being broadcast live on New Zealand TV and as Tonga is at present 12 hours ahead of the UK that means it can be seen at 10 p.m. UK time this evening.
I think as we are an extra one hour ahead as it is Summertime, the live feed will start at 11pm in the UK. I'm staying up anyway to watch and will keep checking the live-stream Chubb Fuddler kindly gave the link for.