Coronation of His Majesty King Tupou VI of Tonga: 4 July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacknch

Former Administrator
City
Suffolk
Country
United Kingdom

Arms of The Kingdom of Tonga

The Coronation of His Majesty King Tupou VI's Coronation will take place on Saturday 4th July 2015.

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

Last edited:
I wonder if the King will wear silk breeches for his coronation, like his brother, or revert to trousers like his father. I liked the silk breeches, and the late King George Tupoa V sure could pull off an eccentric outfit with panache. But maybe that is not King Tupoa VI's style.

Tongan King to be crowned on July 4th | Radio New Zealand News

Last edited:
Is there a specific reason why this coronation takes place that late, more than 3 years after the King´s accession?

Is there a specific reason why this coronation takes place that late, more than 3 years after the King´s accession?

I had the impression that it was for economic reasons as the previous coronation was quite costly, but other than that I can't think of a reason. Nonetheless, we have a coronation date at long last and if the previous coronations are anything to go by, it should be a great event to watch.

I want to see more news about this coronation.

Last edited:
Coronation of His Majesty King Tupou VI of Tonga

The crown prince and crown princess of Japan will attend the coronation ceremony on July 4th.

source: royalblog.

Are any other confirmations of other royals attending? I remenber from the last coronation in Tonga, that royals from Bhutan attended, I wonder if they'll attend this one as well.

i guess the gloucesters will attend. Tonga has always been their territory..

I wonder if the King will wear silk breeches for his coronation, like his brother, or revert to trousers like his father. I liked the silk breeches, and the late King George Tupoa V sure could pull off an eccentric outfit with panache. But maybe that is not King Tupoa VI's style.

Tongan King to be crowned on July 4th | Radio New Zealand News

I don’t think King Tupou will wear breaches. He is comes over as being very traditional in his ways like his grandmother Queen Salote. When she ascended the throne Tongan nobles wore European clothes and she opened parliament wearing robes and crown. She done away with all that opting to wear Tongan dress most of the time, even at the opening of parliament.

A Tongan friend told me that King George had delusions of grandeur. He very seldom wore Tongan dress and from the start of reign he refused to live in the eight roomed royal palace opting to remain in his far larger and opulent “villa.” His father King Taufa’ahua only moved out of the palace when he could no longer manage the stairs, as did Queen Salote before him.

It has to be said that the palace was too small for purpose. When King Tupou was a child the entire royal family lived there, The Queen, her two sons, two daughters in law, eight grandchildren and two of Queen Salote’s elderly aunts all crammed into the small building. The ground floor consisted of the throne room, Privy Council Room which doubled as a dining room (both only the size of a large sitting room,) and two small sitting rooms. On the first floor there were four bedrooms. The toilets and shower rooms were outside on the verandas. During Queen Salote’s reign there were plans to build a larger palace but she is reported as saying “they can build as many palaces as they like, but I am staying here where I was born.” King George did set about enlarging the palace but had no intention of living there instead giving over part of it to house the Tongan archives.

King George was a great admirer of British royalty as so based his coronation on that of Queen Elizabeth, hence the Archbishop and being crowned while sitting on a large throne, (apparently some in Tonga wondered if he would order a golden coach but he didn’t.) This was going against Tongan tradition where the monarch knelt to be crowned by a Wesleyan minister as had his father, grandmother and great grandfather before him. At King Tauf’ahua’s coronation the other members of the royal family wore Tongan dress but at King George’s it was European dress with the ladies wearing tiaras and the Queen Mother in her coronation robes.

King Tupou wears Tongan dress most of the time, even when opening parliament (his father wore a uniform) and I think that he will return to the more Tongan style of coronation by kneeling to be crowned.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/3172468.html

The above post by karinna_87 contains photos of guests attending the coronation. The UK is represented by Simon Arthur, 4th Baron Glenarthur. Princess Marie-Therese von Hohenberg, Lady Bailey, and her spouse will be in attedance.

Last edited:
While today is Friday in Europe it will soon be Saturday in Tonga and that means Coronation Day. It is being broadcast live on New Zealand TV and as Tonga is at present 12 hours ahead of the UK that means it can be seen at 10 p.m. UK time this evening.

Last edited:
Here's a link to watch the coronation on TV New Zealand tomorrow morning.

Tongan King's coronation to be streamed live by ONE News - One News | TVNZ

It's a pity nobody from the British Royal Family is going. The Governors-General of Australia and New Zealand are going. It will be nice to see the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan. The Japanese Imperial House is always so good at sending appropriate representatives overseas for important royal occasions, from Stockholm to Nuku'alofa.

Here's a link to watch the coronation on TV New Zealand tomorrow morning.

Tongan King's coronation to be streamed live by ONE News - One News | TVNZ

It's a pity nobody from the British Royal Family is going. The Governors-General of Australia and New Zealand are going. It will be nice to see the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan. The Japanese Imperial House is always so good at sending appropriate representatives overseas for important royal occasions, from Stockholm to Nuku'alofa.

A pity? it's a damn disgrace. I went off the Windsors a long time ago and it's things like this that make me remember why.

While today is Friday in Europe it will soon be Saturday in Tonga and that means Coronation Day. It is being broadcast live on New Zealand TV and as Tonga is at present 12 hours ahead of the UK that means it can be seen at 10 p.m. UK time this evening.

I think as we are an extra one hour ahead as it is Summertime, the live feed will start at 11pm in the UK. I'm staying up anyway to watch and will keep checking the live-stream Chubb Fuddler kindly gave the link for.

The broadcast from Tonga just finished. TV New Zealand seemed to start their streaming a bit late, but I found TV Tonga 1 was streaming and I was just in time to see the King and Queen crowned. The ceremony was not as grand and well organised as the coronation in 2006, but it was still very moving, and there seemed to be a genuine warmth for the King and Queen. The music was very good, and the recessional to the tune of the old Austrian Imperial Anthem was a nice touch.

I was interested to see that His Highness Tui Atua Tupua Tamasese Efi, Ao o le Malo of Samoa, and his wife, Her Highness Masiofo Filifilia Tamasese nee Imo, were seated in the balcony with the Queen Mother Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe (more evidence that Samoa is indeed a monarchy of sorts?)

The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan looked relaxed and interested in everything. They got a huge cheer as they left the church. The Crown Prince must have been very pleased to have his wife with him. The Governor-General of New Zealand, Sir Jerry Mateparae, looked the part, but, unfortunately, the Governor-General of Australia, Sir Peter Cosgrove, did not. Sir Peter really should stick to military uniform for formal occasions. It was a bit of a surprise to see Archduke Karl of Austria and his brother Archduke Georg, and no doubt they appreciated hearing the kaiserhymne. It seems that Archduke Georg visited Tonga a few years ago to promote ties between Tonga and Hungary. I hope there will be some official photographs released later on today.

Anyone from the British royal family were in attendance?

Anyone from the British royal family were in attendance?
The UK was represented by Simon Arthur, 4th Baron Glenarthur. No one from the British royal family attended the ceremony.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the informations and video. And it was so nice be there Masako. I hope to see her more often outside Japan.

I think as we are an extra one hour ahead as it is Summertime, the live feed will start at 11pm in the UK. I'm staying up anyway to watch and will keep checking the live-stream Chubb Fuddler kindly gave the link for.

Tonga is 13 hours ahead of GMT but as the UK is in Summer Time, and therefore an hour ahead of GMT, Tonga is 12 hours ahead at present.

Tonga is 13 hours ahead of GMT but as the UK is in Summer Time, and therefore an hour ahead of GMT, Tonga is 12 hours ahead at present.

Yup, you were right, the link I checked out didn't show the live link at 10pm so I left it until 11pm and looked on another webpage and just saw the King leaving after the coronation! Hopefully I will find some video footage on Youtube and will post it if I do.
From what I have seen, the ceremony seemed less grand than the previous one - the throne for instance was not the golden one used before.

Back
Top Bottom