The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Nobility

Titles, Styles and Ranks of the Grand Ducal Family

I know that the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg are entitled to use the style Royal Highness. However, I am not sure about what is the correct style for their children.

Descendants of Grand Duke Jean would also be entitled to use the style Royal Highness as princes of Bourbon-Parma, but if I recall correctly, Grand Duke Jean renounced the title of prince of Bourbon-Parma for himself and his family. So, if The Grand Duke's children are no longer considered princes of Bourbon-Parma, what is their correct style? Is it perhaps Grand Ducal Highness - the style once used by princes of the Grand Duchy of Hesse and by Rhine - or something else?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

That's a good question...I don't know the answer, but all recognizes them as Royal Highnesses...Also the last Grand Dukes of Toscana of Medici Family were recognized as Royal Highnesses, and that was their official status, so I think the Luxemburgian Princes can be called Royal Highnesses.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Aristocracy

I believe the Wikipedia pages on them has the information you need. How accurate it is, I can't say. I believe all of the Grand Duke's children are still styled as HRH. I'm not sure of the reason for this. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I do know that it's been discussed before on this board that HGD Guillaume also carries the title of Prince of Bourbon-Parma, despite GD Jean renouncing that title in the past. It was granted to Guillaume by his father GD Henri. I don't think any of Guillaume's siblings have that title though, just him alone. The GD's children are also Princes of Nassau.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Very odd that he has a title that his grand father renounced. Though perhaps over time the relations between him and the Duke of Parma might have improved, the Duke seems less rigid in his views as he was before his own children grew up.

About the HRH: I believe it now comes with the 'Prince of Luxembourg' title, the former Grand DUke sort of promoted his family. I am not sure about the legal basis of it but I suppose he can change such things by decree (that is how the Dutch Queen & Belgian King do it anyway).
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Gentry

Here's some info I found about the style/titles of the Luxemborg GD family:

Luxemburg
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Nobility

Wikipedia pages classifies all living princes of Luxembourg as princes of Bourbon-Parma, whether it's correct or not, and therefore Wikipedia's articles accord them the style Royal Highness.

Marengo, is there an actual decree that "promoted" princes of Luxembourg to Royal Highnesses? Can the Grand Duke actually change the family's titles and styles? If they renounced the title that gave them the style of Royal Highness, why didn't they revert to their original style? It's absolutely unfair that a non-royal prince of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg ranks higher than a royal prince of the Kingdom of Denmark (Prince Felix for example, who is merely Highness). What was their original style anyway?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
On July 28, 1986 HRH Grand Duke Jean renounced for himself and his descendants the title Prince/ss of Bourbon-Parma and took the surname Nassau for himself and his decendants. His siblings appear to still carry Bourbon-Parma titles and in the male line would be eligable to pass them on via legitimate decent.

The ruling Grand Duke/Duchess was always styled Royal Highness. Until the marriage of Grand Duchess Charlotte to HRH Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma other members of the family were styled Grand Ducal Highness. Her children inherited the style of Royal Highness from their father with the Bourbon-Parma titles in addition to their Luxembourg titles. When Grand Duke Jean renounced the title he pointedly kept the Royal Highness and by clarifying the styles and titles of members of the Grand Ducal Family in 4 seperat decrees (some by Henri after ascention) since his renounciation it has been reaffirmed and recreated that they are still Royal Highness without regard for the Bourbon-Parma titles.

In 1995 a decree was issued stating that a Prince/ss who would marry without consent would bear the title Count/ess of Nassau and this would pass unto the children of the Prince. Why Tessy de Nassau and her sons are not styled as Count/ess of Nassau given this decree is beyond me. I assume Louis renounced without considering to ask for consent thus making the decree not apply because he didn't marry without consent because it was not necessary after he gave up his rights.

The children of Grand Duke Henri are ALL styled as royal highness prince/ss of Luxembourg (including Louis). Guillaume is styled royal highness with the titles The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Hereditary Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma. He is the only one of the children of Henri to bear the Bourbon-Parma title. Henri himself does not even carry the title. He did not recreate it for himself after his father gave it up. The Bourbon-Parma title was given to Guillaume on December 18, 2000 at the same time he was named Hereditary Grand Duke. His decendants will continue the Bourbon-Parma titles.

Only the children of a Grand Duke or a Hereditary Grand Duke will carry the title Prince/ss of Luxembourg. All other members of the family will be HRH Prince/ss of Nassau since 1995. In 2004 Henri allowed the wife and children (even the one born out of wedlock) of his brother Prince Jean to carry the style of Royal Highness with the title Prince/ss of Nassau. I think we can expect similar steps to eventually be taken for Tessy de Nassau and her children with Prince Louis.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Gentry

Location: Her Royal Highness lives in Beverly Hills California, United States
Question about Maria Teresa

Is Grand Duchess Maria Teresa the only Grand Duchess in the world. If there are more Grand duchess's , please tell me and show a picture of them. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Archduchess Elyssa of Austria-Tuscany is the titolar Grand Duchess of Toscana, and Archduchess Dorothea is the titular Dowager Grand Duchess of Tuscany, but these titles are not reognized; so Maria Teresa is the only Grand Duchess in the world officially recognized.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Nobility

The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is the only de facto Grand Duchess.

The Russian title of Великая Княжна (velika kneginja in my language) is traditionally translated as Grand Duchess, though the correct translation would be Grand Princess. Two women use the courtesy title of Grand Duchess of Russia - Maria Vladimirovna, the pretender to the Russian throne (known as HIH The Grand Duchess of Russia) and her mother Leonida (known as HIH The Dowager Grand Duchess of Russia).
Old 02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Courtier

There has been a Grand Duchy in Baden, Sounthern Germany, around 1900. I am in the lucky posession of the Grand Duchy coocery book of that time, of course, only a reproduction, but with delicious recipes.....
The author's name is Emma Wundt.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
There has been a Grand Duchy in Baden, Sounthern Germany, around 1900. I am in the lucky posession of the Grand Duchy coocery book of that time, of course, only a reproduction, but with delicious recipes.....
Yes, so also Margravine Valerie of Baden is the titular Grand Duchess of Baden.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Aristocracy

And luxemburgo is not a kingdom, because it is a small country, and a kingdom is for a big country? as in monaco that is a principality, was not a kingdom, because it was very small to be a kingdom, this way it happens in luxemburgo?
Theoretically is maria teresa like a queen in luxemburgo truth?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rociocristina View Post
And luxemburgo is not a kingdom, because it is a small country, and a kingdom is for a big country? as in monaco that is a principality, was not a kingdom, because it was very small to be a kingdom, this way it happens in luxemburgo?
Theoretically is maria teresa like a queen in luxemburgo truth?
In Vatican, GD Maria Teresa is considered a queen, because she can wear white in presence of the pope.

http://www.monarchie.lu/fr/Galerie/E...ere_img_01.jpg
Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you, and I saw in the funeral of the pope jean 2 and maria teresa was of white as the other queens that were present
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Serene Highness

She and the "Catholic Queens" and some deposed Catholic royal and noble women can exercise the Privilège du blanc. You can see more pictures on this thread http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...pope-2809.html and read about it here Privilège du blanc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Gentry

Location: Her Royal Highness lives in Beverly Hills California, United States
Thanks Girls. Do you girls think that Grand Duchess is a cool title.I never liked it becase I always thought It was a rank as a Duchess(which it's not of course) But just with the Grand at the begining.What's your opinion.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 AM
Nobility

Perhaps it doesn't sound "cool", but it is a high ranking title (just below king). Though I'm not sure which title ranks higher: Grand Duke or Archduke. Both titles are some kind of a super-duke

P.S. Some of the users of this forum are male (MAfan and I, for example).
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

A Grand Duke ranks higher that an Archduke. The basic (top-end) structure is: Emperor - King - Grand Duke - Archduke - Prince
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
Not only in Baden. Until 1918 there where six Grand Duchies in the German Empire.
the Grand Duchy of Baden
the Grand Duchy of Hesse and by Rhine
the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Streltiz
the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg
the Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach

Royal Travel and Events