State Visit from Portugal to Luxembourg: May 23-24, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So apparently the President asked for a night walk, because why not. I quite enjoy his engagements with royals.

What orders are they all wearing? Is this the first one for Stéphanie?

What orders are they all wearing? Is this the first one for Stéphanie?

According to Lux

Order of Liberty for Henri.

Order of Prince Henry for MT

Order of Aviz for Guillaume

Order of Merit for Stephanie

The Portugese president is wearing the order of the golden lion. Henri and Gui have their lion on as well.

interesting to see they all received different orders...

stephanie looks great in black! she doesn't usually wear black but she should. this looks elegant and beautiful next to her blonde hair and fair skin.

So apparently the President asked for a night walk, because why not. I quite enjoy his engagements with royals.

a night walk? on a state visit? how interesting but slightly awkward. what was the purpose of the night walk, i wonder?

interesting to see they all received different orders...

stephanie looks great in black! she doesn't usually wear black but she should. this looks elegant and beautiful next to her blonde hair and fair skin.

a night walk? on a state visit? how interesting but slightly awkward. what was the purpose of the night walk, i wonder?

The orders given to Henri and Mt are civilian orders given to heads of state. Oddly the one given to MT seems to have higher precedence then her husband's.

The order of Aviz is a military honor. Merit a civilian honor right below the one given to her father in law. As Stephanie is neither head of state or married to, or service in the military, she couldn't receive the same.

Yup and he said maybe they will meet some Portuguese on their way :lol: He is like that, very spontaneous.

According to Lux

Order of Liberty for Henri.

Order of Prince Henry for MT

Order of Aviz for Guillaume

Order of Merit for Stephanie

The Portugese president is wearing the order of the golden lion. Henri and Gui have their lion on as well.

Thanks a lot! :flowers:

Last edited:
Last edited:
:previous: Time like this that must feel a bit awkward being a single man. That you might miss having a First Lady.

He is in an unfortunate position. A legal wife has been separated from for many years and is not part of his life. And a long time mistress who obviously can't accompany him. He has been separated from his wife and with current partner since the 1980s.

I guess there are bachelor or widowed heads of state. But to have a partner that can't come is another matter.

Last edited:
He is in an unfortunate position. A legal wife has been separated from for many years and is not part of his life. And a long time mistress who obviously can't accompany him. He has been separated from his wife and with current partner since the 1980s.

The same was the case for former german President Joachim Gauck. He lives separted from his wife for 50 years since the 1990's. But his partner Mrs. Schadt acted as First Lady during his time as german President.

The same was the case for former german President Joachim Gauck. He lives separted from his wife for 50 years since the 1990's. But his partner Mrs. Schadt acted as First Lady during his time as german President.

I am a tad surprised. I wouldn't think a mistress would be permitted to serve as first lady, including state visits. Danielle may be Joachims domestic partner but he has a legal wife. But I see from photos she did indeed.

Is Portugal just more conservative and wouldn't allow? Or does the presidents partner choose to remain out of public eye by personal choice? I am thinking the first.

Sorry if I sound old fashioned. Just seems a bit odd. it would be different if he was divorced and in domestic. But nice to see Germany was open to it.

:previous: Time like this that must feel a bit awkward being a single man. That you might miss having a First Lady.

I guess there are bachelor or widowed heads of state. But to have a partner that can't come is another matter.
On the contrary he may be incredibly happy, especially if he had a very unhappy marriage.
Now he can live a happy life and be free to date whomever he wants away from the spotlight.

Government and Cour galleries were updated. GD Henri and GD Maria Teresa accompanied President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa to the pilgrimage to Our Lady of Fatima in Wiltz on May 25th.

Luxemburger Wort - Marcelo e Grão-duques aplaudidos pela multidão

RTL.lu - Fotogalerien: Fatima-Cortège zu Wolz (25. Mee 2017)

Luxarazzi: Grand Duke and Grand Duchess Join Portuguese President for Pilgrimage

Troisième jour de la Visite de S.E.M. Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, président de la République portugaise - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Mai 2017

About the orders, GD Henri already has the Order of Prince Henry and Order of Saint James of the Sword so the President gave him another one.

I've read the President didn't get divorced due to his religious beliefs; his longtime partner was a former pupil and they live separately. Perhaps she prefers to be out of the spotlight and a discreet relationship works for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom