The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Aristocracy

The Grand Duke's sisters is now married to Prince's of Austria and Lichstenstein. The GD's aunt (I think it is) was a Princess of Sweden, closely related to the King. And I believe it's stated on Alexandra's wiki that she's related to every currently reigning European monarch

Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani90
The Grand Duke's sisters is now married to Prince's of Austria and Lichstenstein. The GD's aunt (I think it is) was a Princess of Sweden, closely related to the King. And I believe it's stated on Alexandra's wiki that she's related to every currently reigning European monarch
The GD's maternal grandmother was Queen Astrid of Belgium who was Princess of Sweden. This makes him King Albert's nephew and a first cousin once removed of King Harald of Norway, whose mother Martha was Astrid's sister as well as a relative of the Swedish and Danish Royal families. I'm sure there are more connections. I haven't heard about this aunt, do you know her name?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

No it was Astrid I thought about, was just unsure what she was to the GD
Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Nobility

Accidentally into the site of the journal Promi, and I had read a few offensive titles about the Luxembourg Royal Family ... an opinion on these titles? I thought the royal family had a good relationship with the press... I also read about a scandalous book (about the royal family)... someone who has read it?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Nobility

I haven't read the book but I heard that it is purely based on gossip, and no new gossip afaik. They just repeat everything that has been said about the last ten years or so.
Both Promi and Privat (they have even worse headlines) are magazine that shouldn't be taken too seriously, they are yellow press that make headlines up to sell. And they are not just rude towards the Grand Ducal Family, they are rude against most of the famous people living in Luxembourg, quick in pointing out mistakes made by others and sometimes think that they are the most important publication. For example a few weeks ago when the Grand Duke had his angioplasty Promi insisted on the fact that if they hadn't published the protocol of the emergency service, the Court would have never released the info about the angioplasty. I'm sure the Court doesn't feel compelled to release information just because a gossip magazine writes something on their website. I haven't read too much of Promi, but what I know by occasionally reading other yellow press is that there usually isn't much behind a sensational sounding headline
The more respected magazines in Luxembourg handle the Grand Ducal Family differently. They just write about some engagements they did and sometimes about possible future wives for Guillaume.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Robert of Luxembourg ?

I am not sure where to post Spletnik - Wine and Theatre
As stated in the entry, Prince Robert of Luxembourg, President of Domaine Clarence Dillon, held a dinner to commemorate the anniversary of acquiring Château Haut-Brion. The event took place on the stage of Maly theatre .
Here is the link containing some facts about Prince Robert Domaine Clarence Dillon
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina
I am not sure where to post Spletnik - Wine and Theatre
As stated in the entry, Prince Robert of Luxembourg, President of Domaine Clarence Dillon, held a dinner to commemorate the anniversary of acquiring Château Haut-Brion. The event took place on the stage of Maly theatre .
Here is the link containing some facts about Prince Robert Domaine Clarence Dillon
He's the Grand Duke's first cousin, the son of his late uncle Prince Charles.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princ..._of_Luxembourg
See section 'offspring'.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the information!
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Commoner

What language does the family primarily speak?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Courtier

I'm pretty sure they speak French mostly. All the interviews I've seen with MT have been in French. They may speak Luxembourgish too, but I get the feeling MT isn't as fluent in Luxembourgish as the rest of the family.

They also all speak German and English, and I know that most of the kids (and MT of course) speak Spanish. I've read that most Luxembourgish people never speak German to each other even though they learn it in school. They speak Luxembourgish or French.