Luxembourg Succession & Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The succession change happened last June but is not retroactive. It applies to children born after Grand Duke Henri has passed. It does not apply to Alexandra therefore the current succession line does not alter.

Considering that Hola article says Stephanie is marrying a Prince William and Alexandra is a he, I can't trust the translation. :lol:

Hola! has gotten their facts wrong. They state that Princess Alexandra is now above her two younger brothers, meaning Felix and Sebastien. Alexandra only has one younger brother - Sebastien - and thus only moves up one position to #3.

The line of succession in American Dane's post above it correct. Hola! is wrong.

Considering that Hola article says Stephanie is marrying a Prince William

If you have translated the article from Spanish to English, of course it's going to say 'William' in place of 'Guillaume' (or in Hola!'s case, Guillermo). They are the same name, just in different languages, and Hola!/other publications have the habit of translating names into their own variant.

Last edited:
OK I agree with you all, I thought things had changed a lot! I had a scare! But thanks to all! Kisses!

But taking advantage, some do not know why Stephanie was the celebration this weekend in LUX?

Hola! has gotten their facts wrong. They state that Princess Alexandra is now above her two younger brothers, meaning Felix and Sebastien. Alexandra only has one younger brother - Sebastien - and thus only moves up one position to #3.
Well, it seems that the magazine have corrected the text, as it now says that Alexandra is in third spot after her two older brothers.

The succession change happened last June but is not retroactive. It applies to children born after Grand Duke Henri has passed. It does not apply to Alexandra therefore the current succession line does not alter.

Last year, the court confirmed that Alexandra now is in line to the throne. It applies to all of Henri's descendants but not to the ones of his brother Guillaume thus Guillaume's daughter Charlotte is not in line to succeed and the daughters of his sons probably never will.

Last year, the court confirmed that Alexandra now is in line to the throne. It applies to all of Henri's descendants but not to the ones of his brother Guillaume thus Guillaume's daughter Charlotte is not in line to succeed and the daughters of his sons probably never will.

Eh? :ermm: Did I say otherwise? I never even mentioned Henri's brother. :ermm:

Hello everybody!

Yesterday I was discussing this aqyi the TRF, but elsewhere.

When I read the story of Spain's Hola magazine and Hell UK freaked out because the story and really change the line of succession.

The official site of the Felix family continues as second in line to the throne.

I found a very gross error of this news story!

Eh? :ermm: Did I say otherwise?
You said:
The order of succession did change, Alexandra went from fourth place before as being female, to third due to birth order regardless of sex.

You said:

The order of succession did change, Alexandra went from fourth place before as being female, to third due to birth order regardless of sex.

A small correction:

Alexandra went from 'nada' to 3rd place as the succession was formerly semi-salic, meaning Alexandra wasn't in the succession at all prior to change :)

Meraude said:

No I said the current line of succession hasn't changed. I never said anything about numbers or places.
Alexandra was added into what has been the line of succession for ages. So technically nothing has changed someone was added. I never said anything about her moving from fourth to third.

2) What if the Crown Princess makes an unsuitable marriage? Lady Davina Windsor, daughter of the Duke of Gloucester married a Maori- had she been 1st in line to the Throne, Britain would have ended up with a Maori royal family. What if the Crown Princess marries a Malaysian Muslim, or a Polish man. This means a foreign family on the Throne- this is what happened in Scotland when female line succession was first permitted- with disastrous consequences for the Celtic population of Scotland.,

A Maori, oh the horror! (sarcasm, of course).

Quite a few people have married into royal families who were not white or completely white. The times are changing. As for the religious issue there is already a requirement in England that a spouse of someone in line for the throne not be Catholic and other countries may have religious rules as well. Although marrying a Muslim isn't exactly the end of the world.

The Polish comment is so laughable to me because I'm from Poland myself. In the past many Polish royals and nobles married into other royal families. Again, worse things in life than marrying a Polish person. Well, maybe not to you there aren't.

By the way, Princess Mathilde's mother was a Polish countess and her grandmother was a Polish princess. If her own eldest daughter married a Polish man I don't think the monarchy would fall apart in Belgium.

Since this thread is about Luxembourg, I have read that the Grand Duchess is partly of Amerindian descent although I'm not sure if that's true. I guess she's still white enough for the complainers though.

Last edited:
NobleConsortMing, I didn't reply to that post because frankly I wasn't sure what to make of it or how to respond.

What IS the issue with Poles?? :sad: Is it because they are largely Roman Catholic?

I quite agree with you, Noble Consort Ming!
Besides, times not only change in respect to how we view people from other nationalities / ethnic groups. The way we view women also changed. They can be queens of their own nowadays, and imho they make splendid monarchs!!! And look at the Netherlands: three generations of Queens, and all were married to German men:eek:. And still I would consider the Royal family very much Dutch, and they also keep calling their dynasty "Orange". And the Luxembourg family certainly didn't cease to be Luxembourgish, only because Grand Duchess Charlotte was 'just' a woman.
I believe that it is really great that most monarchies are now abolishing male premogeniture.

NobleConsortMing, I didn't reply to that post because frankly I wasn't sure what to make of it or how to respond.

What IS the issue with Poles?? :sad: Is it because they are largely Roman Catholic?
Btw, marrying a Roman Catholic would quite perfect for anyone in the line of the Luxembourg succession :flowers:.

Btw, marrying a Roman Catholic would quite perfect for anyone in the line of the Luxembourg succession :flowers:.

Seeing what staunch Catholics they are, I'd almost say it is some sort of a requirement.

In fact the Nassau's are originally protestants and when Grand Duke William IV, at the time only a prince of Nassau, fell in love with Infanta Maria Anna of Portugal, who was a catholic, his family was against the union. Only when in 1890 the Nassau-Weilburg branch came to power in Luxembourg, the marriage was encouraged as the Grand Duchy is a very catholic country. Upon marriage it was agreed that the children would be raised as catholics as William and his father thought that a catholic country should have a catholic monarch.

No I said the current line of succession hasn't changed. I never said anything about numbers or places.
Alexandra was added into what has been the line of succession for ages. So technically nothing has changed someone was added. I never said anything about her moving from fourth to third.

Maybe it's a matter of lost in translation as I'm not a native English speaker, but why do you say that the line of succession does not change when someone is added?
The only two persons retaining their positions are the Hereditary Grand Duke and Prince Felix while everyone else (Princess Alexandra and Princes Sebastien, Guillaume, Paul-Louis, Leopold and Jean) has a new positions, so the order has indeed changed.

Right now in places like Great Britain Poles are a much maligned group. I have relatives that moved from Poland for a short period of time to England to work. They did jobs like picking strawberries all day for very little pay and worked at places like McDonalds and they were treated like garbage by many people around them. They were made to feel ethnically inferior and told they were stealing jobs. Yet they didn't see too many people actually wanting to pick strawberries in the sun for 10 hours a day for next to nothing. I feel they are seen there the way Mexican immigrants are seen here in the United States. I think it's sad because we're not some low down trashy people. We're not that different than the English and we certainly don't dislike them. Even after their bad experiences they still love English culture and the people.

I think part of the negativity does come from ideas spread during World War II about the inferiority of Slavic people. Our culture is rich, beautiful, and diverse and I feel sorry for people who don't give themselves a chance to experience it.

Like I said, Crown Princess Mathilde is half Polish and I don't see people picking on that so I don't know why the idea of any other Polish person marrying into a royal family is so bad.

I feel sorry for people who have to look down on others because of their ethnicity. They are clearly trying to make themselves feel better about their own inadequacies.

By the way, any word from anyone on whether the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is indeed partly of Amerindian descent?

Right now in places like Great Britain Poles are a much maligned group.

when i was in Britain a couple of months ago on holiday, i met quite a few Polish women working in the hospitality industry (and one who was working in the souvenir shop at the tower of London); every one of them was lovely, just really nice girls.

Will Stéphanie will wear after the civil wedding any princess-title?

According to the information provided to the press immediately following the civil wedding Stephanie will become HRH Princess Stephanie but not HGDss until a decree is released (probably tomorrow morning)

Um, I dont mean to sound dumb but why is there a HGD title and not King? Are they not a ruling family? I dont understand.

Because they are the reigning family of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The country is reigned over by a Grand Duke and his heir is the Hereditary Grand Duke. It is not a Kingdom with a reigning King and an heir called Crown Prince or a Principality with a reigning Prince and an heir called the Hereditary Prince.

Thank you very much, now I get it. Dont know what I would do without all of you. I learn something new everyday it seems. :)

Does anyone know if Princess Margaretha lost her succession rights (how ever far removed from the throne) when she married into the Liechtenstein royal family? I know some royal houses have rules about that. If Alexandra married a foreign royal for example would her children be in the line of succession to both thrones?

Last edited:
Noble Consort Ming, and everyone, I would like to recommend a wonderful book by James Michener, "Poland". This gives a long and copious view of the history of Poland, including royals, polititians good and bad, peasants, modernist leaders during WWII, etc. It is the author's opinion that Poland deserves more credit than most countries in maintaining European culture against the various onslaughts against it by Russians, Tatars, Huns and various others. Europe would not have survived the Battle of Vienna without Polish leadership.

Are Trssy's children back in the line of succession? When she was given the title of princess, I was not sure if their children and his rights as well, were reinstated. Does anyone know?

Hubby and the kids are still out of the succession.

Does anyone know if Princess Margaretha lost her succession rights (how ever far removed from the throne) when she married into the Liechtenstein royal family?

She never had any to lose.

I know some royal houses have rules about that. If Alexandra married a foreign royal for example would her children be in the line of succession to both thrones?

They would be in the line of succession to the throne of Luxembourg because there are no such restrictions there. Whether or not they would be in line to the other throne depends on the other country's succession laws and whether her spouse received consent if necessary. For example, if she married Prince Henry of Wales, their children would presumably be Catholics and thus excluded from the line of succession to the British throne.

Besides, I don't think any monarchy prohibits its members from marrying into other royal families. In fact, until very recently, most prohibited them from marrying people who were not members of any royal family! Some monarchies do explicitly prohibit ascending another country's throne (e.g. Sweden) but not merely being in line to succeed. Thus, if a child of Princess Alexandra and Prince Carl Philip were to become Grand Duke o Luxembourg, he or she would drop out of the line of succession to the Swedish throne.

Back
Top Bottom