Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family, Current Events 4: October 2006 - September 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful photos! It's great to see more of the GDF. Congratulations to Prince Noah.

Lovely family and I must add they had better weather than here at the time ! Lol !

Nice first communion. I like these events family events, but sad that Grand Duke Jean did not attend.

Pretty sure she's a niece of Tessy and Louis, a daughter of Tessy's sister Patty.

Thank you for the confirmation. I'm not too familiar with Princess Tessy's family, which explains why I didn't know who she was.

Besides meeting with Boko Haram survivor Assiatou in a smaller setting on May 31st, GD Maria Teresa held another conference at the palace. Henri, Guillaume, and Stephanie attended the bigger conference.
(This was a little confusing as the photos were mixed together and the Google translation was a bit weird...)

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalementBlog/posts/1035196543214880

Very odd to have so many resignations in a short period. The reorganization announced last fall doesn't appear to be going well. :ermm:
I guess it explains why the GDF website updates has been so poor lately. The court's been busy with other matters.

ETA: Turns out, the resignation is true. However, the court said "the contract was terminated within the trial period." It's unknown whether Oswald Schröder asked to quit or the court requested he resign.

Source: L'essentiel Online - Personalkarussell am Hof dreht sich weiter - Luxemburg

Last edited:
Charming photos. Does anyone know what was written in the article? I don't mind Stephanie in red. Excellent color.

allaboutroyalty tumblr posted more Point de Vue photos: Guillaume and Stephanie, Tessy and MT, Alexandra, group on the stairs without the pink filter.

The Point de Vue 60th birthday article from earlier this year has an interview with Maria Teresa but also includes birthday tributes from each family member. Here are two of the birthday wishes which I translated.

From Princes Gabriel and Noah (her grandsons):
"We like to go to Crans Montana and ski with Amama. We watch movies with her in bed, play hide and seek, and eat chocolate. At Cabasson, she bought us swords and we play in the water. And we make jokes with her. We will give her a beautiful birthday card and we wish to thank her for each day she spends with us."

From Prince Felix:
"Mama is a very caring women ... a person of strong character and warmth that brings life to our home. She also has a great sense of organization coming from Switzerland where she lived for many years. She knows what she wants and she goes to great ends for it. With lots of love. When I settled in Geneva, ten years ago, my mother came pronto. She took three or four days to redo the whole apartment, bringing me quilts from Luxembourg, and installing all that I would need, the items that I like. A true Latin mama who takes care of her son ... I hope to celebrate with her for many years to come. She continues to be the flame from which each of us can come to warm the heart. We will always be there for her."

:luxflag2: :queen4:

Last edited:
The Point de Vue 60th birthday article from earlier this year has an interview with Maria Teresa but also includes birthday tributes from each family member. Here are two of the birthday wishes which I translated.

From Princes Gabriel and Noah (her grandsons):
"We like to go to Crans Montana and ski with Amama. We watch movies with her in bed, play hide and seek, and eat chocolate. At Cabasson, she bought us swords and we play in the water. And we make jokes with her. We will give her a beautiful birthday card and we wish to thank her for each day she spends with us."

From Prince Felix:
"Mama is a very caring women ... a person of strong character and warmth that brings life to our home. She also has a great sense of organization coming from Switzerland where she lived for many years. She knows what she wants and she goes to great ends for it. With lots of love. When I settled in Geneva, ten years ago, my mother came pronto. She took three or four days to redo the whole apartment, bringing me quilts from Luxembourg, and installing all that I would need, the items that I like. A true Latin mama who takes care of her son ... I hope to celebrate with her for many years to come. She continues to be the flame from which each of us can come to warm the heart. We will always be there for her."

:luxflag2: :queen4:

Thanks so much!!! Lovely tributes. :flowers:

On June 15th, GD Jean got an early peek at the Wim Delvoye exhibit at the MUDAM museum. The exhibit opens in late July. He was received by President of the Board of MUDAM HGD Stéphanie, Secretary of State Guy Arendt, and museum director/CEO Enrico Lunghi.

Luxemburger Wort - Grand Duke Jean takes early peek at MUDAM exhibition

Luxemburger Wort - Le grand-duc Jean visite l'installation de l'exposition Wim Delvoye

Luxemburger Wort - Hoher Besuch im Mudam

RTL.lu - Kultur - Visite vum Musée vum Grand-Duc Jean

Google translation of the press release:
His Royal Highness the Grand Duke Jean visited June 15, 2016 the Museum of Modern Art Grand-Duc Jean (MUDAM). On his arrival he was received by His Royal Highness the Grand Duchess Heiress, President of the Board of the Foundation Museum of Modern Art Grand Duke Jean, by Guy Arendt, Secretary of State for Culture and by Mr. Enrico Lunghi, CEO of the Museum.

The visit focused on the installation of the exhibition by Belgian artist Wim Delvoye starting on 2 July.

On the occasion of the 10th anniversary, the Mudam Luxembourg invites the Belgian artist Wim Delvoye, which marked the opening of the Museum with the creation of its "Chapelle" to invest its spaces, July 2, 2016 to January 8, 2017. spreading over two floors, the exhibition presents a wide panorama of the twenty-five years of production of the artist, emphasizing the formal variety as the conceptual coherence of his work.

The exhibition also demonstrates the special relationship Wim Delvoye talks with Luxembourg, thanks to works belonging to public and private collections. The exhibition includes two works "Wind Rose", 1992 and "Library", 1990 the collection of the Grand Ducal House acquired by His Royal Highness the Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte.

Grand Duchess Heiress exercises Board Chair function of Directors of the Museum of Modern Art Grand Duke Jean since January 29, 2016.

Last edited:
The court reorganization is getting messier. Lots of rumors when the 3rd spokesman left after 5 weeks on the job and GD Maria Teresa's absence from the Romanian state visit. Google translations of Wort and RTL articles:
  • RTL reported Friday that questions arise after the discovery, by chance, a criminal record of the external collaborator of the Court, Chantal Selva.
  • RTL also reported on Friday that the matter has been exposed after it was clear that Selva should get handed a medal on the occasion of National Day.
  • ...it is part of routine checks that the relevant departments found that her criminal record...She would have been fired on the spot, which would have infuriated the Grand Duchess.
  • Newspaper Feierkrop alleges GD Maria Teresa actually boycotted the Romanian state visit rather than last minute family reasons, because the government now wants more input in the court staff hiring process. She went to Switzerland briefly.
  • The Cour gets about 10 million euros a year and more than half goes to personnel costs.
RTL.lu - Lëtzebuerg - Regierung wëll an Zukunft beim Personal matschwätzen

Luxemburger Wort - Rekrutierungspolitik auf dem Prüfstand

Luxemburger Wort - Recrutement à la Cour: le gouvernement s'en mêle

Last edited:
So....the "family problem" that caused the wife of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg to skip out during a State visit by Romania was in truth nothing more than a temper tantrum sojourn in Switzerland...because her favored choice to receive some sort of award was turned down by the Government?!:ohmy:

Until recently I have been a fawning fan of Maria Teresa on this Forum but I am beginning to have a second look. High staff turnover, rumors of heavy handed diva antics behind the scenes and now this?

I am very disappointed.:sad:

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced about GD Maria Teresa's boycott. That's a very damaging allegation. If true, I'm confused about her anger.

First, why be angry at the government for seeking more HR input? I understand that losing complete hiring control is a bitter pill to swallow but now's not the time to argue about interference. The court's present state is chaotic and embarrassing. They didn't vet Chantal Selva properly. Shouldn't a background check be standard? It's time to salvage the situation. Is the government input permanent? Perhaps this oversight is temporary until the Cour stabilizes.

Second, where is GD Henri in all this? His wife is being portrayed so negatively. Even with all his duties, I assume he's involved in the reorg on some level. Seems like MT is more involved and connected with Chantal Selva so strongly, she's placing that partnership over honesty, her own obligations as GDss, and damage control.

Third, why nominate someone for a medal who is doing poorly at their job and for less than a year of service? That doesn't make sense. :confused:

I didn't know the Lux court has such a problem with staff. So, courtiers felt snubbed by Selva, but there are no details in which way. It's wrong of her to not say that she was convicted in France, but if there is a staff chaos at the Lux court, well I wouldn't be surprised if this was simply overlooked. Hm, well MT really doesn't looks good in this. Hopefully that will be all clarified.

I'm still not convinced about GD Maria Teresa's boycott. That's a very damaging allegation. If true, I'm confused about her anger.

First, why be angry at the government for seeking more HR input? I understand that losing complete hiring control is a bitter pill to swallow but now's not the time to argue about interference. The court's present state is chaotic and embarrassing. They didn't vet Chantal Selva properly. Shouldn't a background check be standard? It's time to salvage the situation. Is the government input permanent? Perhaps this oversight is temporary until the Cour stabilizes.

Second, where is GD Henri in all this? His wife is being portrayed so negatively. Even with all his duties, I assume he's involved in the reorg on some level. Seems like MT is more involved and connected with Chantal Selva so strongly, she's placing that partnership over honesty, her own obligations as GDss, and damage control.

Third, why nominate someone for a medal who is doing poorly at their job and for less than a year of service? That doesn't make sense. :confused:

I like Henri well enough but he has never struck me as the dominant figure in that marriage. He seems a very passive man willing to let his high powered wife call the shots both in their personal lives and in sculpting their public image on the Royal scene. He also kept his silence years ago during the fallout over MT's ill-advised whiny(my opinion) lunch with journalists to complain about her mother-in-law's alleged bad treatment of her.

So his silence now doesn't surprise me at all.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, that is true. To be fair, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place after MT’s infamous conference. Support wife or mother? No way he could support both so silence seemed the best (only?) option. After reading the thread about MT and JC’s relationship, I believe both had strong personalities so conflict may have been inevitable if neither woman was willing to compromise. I agree MT’s lunch was a bad idea.

Back on topic, Luxarazzi: Government Questions Personnel Policy of the Cour has clearer details of Friday’s revelations. The possible constitution change is interesting... :whistling:

Monique Feidt is the new spokesperson. She has been an employee at the Cour since 2014.

Luxemburger Wort - Monique Feidt wird Pressesprecherin

Luxemburger Wort - Monique Feidt est attachée de presse de la Cour

Hof hat neue Pressesprecherin | Tageblatt

Court Marshall Lucien Weiler says there is "no personnel carousel"
Luxemburger Wort - "Kein Personalkarussell" (requires Wort subscription)

In an interview with RTL, Justice Minister Félix Braz says there was no crisis meeting on June 8th and the government will not interfere with the Cour's hiring. The meeting was a regular meeting between GD Henri and ministers. Feierkrop is referred to as a satirical newspaper.

RTL.lu - Background - Félix Braz

Luxemburger Wort - Braz: "Regierung schaltet sich nicht ein"

Luxemburger Wort - Felix Braz réagit: «Le gouvernement ne s'en mêle pas»

Now it appears to be a case of bad journalism where the media repeated the Feierkrop's false reports of the government wanting to interfere... :confused:
I assume the bit about GD Maria Teresa fleeing to Switzerland could be inaccurate too. The only solid facts seems to be the Cour losing 3 spokespersons in less than a year and Chantal Selva no longer working there.

Last edited:
The state pays for 103 people working for the Grand Ducal Court.

Partial Google translation:
It appears that at present 103 people work at the Court of service. The staff of the Court is composed of 80 employees including two ministers give a (non-registered) which also include a secretary of the Grand Duke, three counselors, a press officer but also employees and 14 secretaries, 24 fillers, 10 valets, 7 drivers, gardeners 5, 4 artisans, 3 cooks, etc. Added to 23 seconded staff who are Court Services while working for the Army (5 military) Police (5 officials), public buildings (10 people) and government administration (3 employees).

Asked whether "the government will exert a direct influence in the management of finances and the person the Court?", Ministers responded that "the evolution of the Court's staff regularly subject to consultation between the services of the marshal and the State Department. " Public allocations to the Grand Ducal House are scrutinized. First, the budget proposals of the House are "scrutinized by government services" before signing the project of the state budget. And secondly, "the Court presents the statement of all personnel costs including comparisons and detailed actual expenditure expenditure budget voted."

Since 2002 rules allow for a clear distinction between private activities and official missions of the Grand Ducal House. And "the State only participates in the financing of official missions." The state pays the agents who perform official duties and also supports the operating costs of the official part of the Grand Ducal House. As recorded in the 2016 budget, "this flat rate currently amounts to 615,280 euros ."

Full article: Luxemburger Wort - 103 agents au service de la Maison grand-ducale

More on the cost of the GDF. Two deputies questioned spending after the recent personnel changes.
Prime Minister Xavier Bettel, recalled that "private activities and missions
official of the Grand Ducal House are clearly differentiated and that the State only participates in the financing of official missions." The state budget thus takes the costs of operating the official part of the grand ducal House. For 2016, the budget dedicated to these operating costs amounted to 615,280 euros, said the head of government.
The state budget also finances the costs of representation of Grand Duke Henri, the Grand Duke Jean and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume, amounting to 1.1 million euros. The civil list, endowment that allows the Grand Duke to exercise its Head of State to function independently is it fixed at 1.181 million euros. Overall, the total planned spending for the Grand Duke House amounted to 2016, to 10 million euros, representing 0.07% of the country's overall budget.
The GDF pay taxes although there are exceptions.

Source: L'essentiel Online - 103 personnes au service de la Cour grand-ducale - Luxembourg

translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom