Grand Duke Jean's 90th Birthday: January 5, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting these pictures! I especially like the first one in the dia slide, with the former, present and hereditairy grand duke, and a portrait of Grand Duchess Charlotte in the background.

It seems that the family is almost complete, which must have been very nice for the Grand Duke. I see the Belgian king and queen attended,a s did the dowager princess de Ligne (Jean's younger sister). A pity that they didn't identify the grand children in the pictures, as I find it difficult to keep some of them apart (esp. the ones of prince Jean).

A pity that prince Jean's 2nd wife did not attend, but considering the family's conservative views it is hardly surprising. Any idea if count Rodolphe of Limburg-Stirum attended? I don't see him in the pictures.

-

Last edited:
I'm not completely sure that I'm right on identifying them all, but I gave it a shot. Feel free to correct it :flowers:

1st picture on stage (L-R): Archduke Alexander de Austria, Prince Leopold de Nassau, Princess Charlotte de Nassau, Prince Carl de Nassau, Archduke Christophe de Austria, Prince Sebastien of Luxembourg, Princess Maria-Annunciata of Liechtenstein, Prince Paul-Louis de Nassau, and Prince Felix of Luxembourg

2nd picture (L-R): Archduchess Marie-Christine de Austria, Prince Josef de Liechtenstein, Archduke Imre de Austria, Prince Louis of Luxembourg, Princess Tessy of Luxembourg, Prince Jean de Nassau, Prince Wenceslas de Nassau, & Princess Marie-Gabrielle de Nassau.

I may have gotten a few mixed up! Sorry

I'm not completely sure that I'm right on identifying them all, but I gave it a shot. Feel free to correct it :flowers:

Here is my list; changes in red.

1st picture on stage (L-R): Prince Constantin of Nassau with his hands on little Prince Jean de Nassau, Princess Charlotte de Nassau (Leopold's twin sister), Prince Carl Johann de Nassau, Archduke Christophe de Austria, Prince Sebastien of Luxembourg, Princess Maria-Annunciata of Liechtenstein, Prince Paul-Louis de Nassau, and Prince Felix of Luxembourg

2nd picture (L-R): Archduchess Marie-Christine de Austria, Prince Josef de Liechtenstein, Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein, Archduke Imre de Austria, Prince Louis of Luxembourg, Princess Tessy of Luxembourg, Prince Leopold de Nassau, Prince Alexander de Austria, & Princess Marie-Gabrielle de Nassau.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help Lindy! There are sooo many family members it is hard to keep track!

Happy to see Tessy and the boys there !

Very nice pictures of the family.

Happy Birthday to the Grand Duke. 90 Years Young!

Very nice to see King Albert and Queen Paola attending the concert!

Thanks for the identification sugarbaby and Lindy! It seems that Adss Marie-Christine's husband was not there (or maybe he only attended the concert and not the photo shoot earlier).

Does anybody know what the hereditairy grand duke said in his speech?

It seems that Tessy was overdressed btw, the only one wearing a long dress.

Last edited:
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg at Palace Grand-Ducal in honor of his 90th birthday. January 5, 2011

PPE Agency

I don't congratulate te official photograph, Queen Paola is hiding the Grand-Duc's daugher Magaretha.
And secondly for the picture of the 3 generations , he should have seen that the old Grand Duke was not sitting well. He should have sit on a chair and be straight as always . He did Sandhurst!
Third , why no pictures of him and his children and him with his grandchildren.
I do not understand why the King and the Queen of the Belgians so as the Dowager Princess de Ligne were on the first row!

Not the best setup...but I still enjoyed seeing all of the family in one place

Tageblatt Online diashows

As for possible pregnancy for Marie-Christine: Is she the first from the left on the 4th photo? I don't associate them well. In fact this girl looks pregnant.

If King Albert was there, his half sisters (Maria Christina & Maria Esmeralda) should have been invited also; the "jubileer" is also their brother-in-law. Half, but brother.

As for possible pregnancy for Marie-Christine: Is she the first from the left on the 4th photo? I don't associate them well. In fact this girl looks pregnant.

Yes, that is Marie Christine and yes she looks pregnant.

Queen Paola is hiding the Grand-Duc's daugher Magaretha.

Well there are pictures from different angles taken by different photographers. As far as I know there wasn't released an official photograph by the palace. So in one pictures Margaretha is barely visible, in another photo it's Tessy who is hiden behind another person.

And secondly for the picture of the 3 generations , he should have seen that the old Grand Duke was not sitting well. He should have sit on a chair and be straight as always . He did Sandhurst!

He's 90 years old... In recent pictures he usually sits like this, perhaps he cares more to sit comfortable than to look his best :flowers:

Third , why no pictures of him and his children and him with his grandchildren.

Because they chose to. They had a picture taken of the former Grand Duke, the current and the future. Additionally they had a picture of the whole family, which btw is really nice because I hadn't seen some of them for quite some time, the picture of Jean, Henri and MT was taken in advance.

I do not understand why the King and the Queen of the Belgians so as the Dowager Princess de Ligne were on the first row!

Albert is a reigning King and you usually don't hide him in the last row. Alix is Grand Duke Jeans sister and it is quite common to put the older people in the first or second row.
I think it is just a normal set up for a (royal) family picture - the jubilar comes in the middle, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess next to him and next to them other attending monarchs. In the second row there are the future Grand Duke as well as the siblings of the current and former Grand Duke in the rows behind the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Grand Duke Jean.

Does someone know why Prince Jeans wife Diane de Guerre wasn't there? It seems like she isn't very well accepted by the family, according to articles the only one who attended Jean and Diane's weddings was Prince Guillaume.

Thank you

Sorry,but who are present on the 6th picture?
In the centre ,holding speech,it should be the Heir Prince Guillaume

Tageblatt Online diashows

If King Albert was there, his half sisters (Maria Christina & Maria Esmeralda) should have been invited also; the "jubileer" is also their brother-in-law. Half, but brother.

Yes, the girl in the red dress.

Here you can also see her.
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

It would be fantastic news, 2 years afer her lovely marriage :flowers:

Marie-Christine certainly looks like she is pregnant :)

Does anyone know where I can see video of the concert? I haven't had any success...

Sorry,but who are present on the 6th picture?
In the centre ,holding speech,it should be the Heir Prince Guillaume

In the middle as you said it's HGD Guillaume, on the left side it's Prince Felix, on the right side Archduchess Marie-Christine of Austria, married Countess of Limburg-Stirum and next to her it's Prince Josef of Liechtenstein. All of them are grandchildren of Grand Duke Jean :)

In the middle as you said it's HGD Guillaume, on the left side it's Prince Felix, on the right side Archduchess Marie-Christine of Austria, married Countess of Limburg-Stirum and next to her it's Prince Josef of Liechtenstein. All of them are grandchildren of Grand Duke Jean :)
Thank You!

Does anyone know where I can see video of the concert? I haven't had any success...

15 seconds in this video!

RTL.lu

There where also a few minutes in the journal of today. You can see that tomorrow at VIDEO ARCHIV on RTL.

It is sad that Prince Jean Jr is alone, he seems not to be happy about that !
Queen Fabiola was not there either , she must be ill ?
On these important event the children of Leopold III and Lilian Baels are never invited.

You can watch part of it here. I don't think the whole thing was filmed. This report has part of Guillame's speech and everyone singing happy birthday and part of the family photocall:
RTL.lu

It starts around 2:30ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom