Grand Duke Jean and the late GD Joséphine-Charlotte, Part 2: April 2005 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow it was a tough Christmas health wise for the older generation. Jean and silvia hospitalized, Sonja and Elizabeth home but missing from celebrating. Jeans health hasn't been good, hoping him a stuff recovery and home soon :flowers:

GD Jean is an heroic, popular figure in Luxembourg. He personally took part in the liberation of his country from the Nazis during WWII, which I never knew until a couple of years ago.

All of his grandchildren revere him, particularly HGD Guillaume.

Bronchitis can be rough even for a healthy young person, so I am really praying for a good outcome for GD Jean.

Yes, unlike many honorary appointments, jean earned his place in the Irish guards. He originally was in North America during the war but returned and joined the Irish guards. He was in the battle for Caen, as well as in liberating both Brussels and Luxemborg.

You hear any of his grandkids speak about him, and there is no doubt how much love and respect they hold for him :flowers:

:previous:

Very impressive, thanks Countessmeout.

An old school soldier/prince...last of a dying breed.

I bought though e-Bay their Wedding Program on 9 of April 1953 ( 48 pages ) and the Groom is still alive.

I read in that Book that He was admited in the Irish Guards Regiment in november 1942. His was Soldier John Luxembourg.
He was admitted at he Officers cadet Training Unit of Aldershot and had the title of "sous-lieutenant" (1943)
He was "Lieutenant" and participated at the Normandy battle.in 1944
He left in 1945 as Captain.

Hurray!

I am happy this grand old gent will be celebrating his big 95th birthday out of the hospital!:)

:previous: 96th birthday, was born in 1921, but yes happy he will be home for it.

Happy birthday to an inspiring man, and obviously loved father and grandfather. Hope his health continues to improve :flowers:

Nice to see the Grand Duke out and about at the age of 96! He must be one of the oldest royals of Europe by now.

Nice to see the Grand Duke out and about at the age of 96! He must be one of the oldest royals of Europe by now.
Woizlawa of Reuss is 98 but then we have the three boys of 1921 - Jean of Luxembourg, Philip of Edinburgh & Michael of Romania.
If we bend the rules of whos a royal a little Dagmar von Arbin, born a Countess Bernadotte of Wisborg, is 101.

Is there any especific thread about Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte? Her hobbies, interests, friends,etc

thank you very much?

This is a lovely portrait and Grand Duke Jean is looking so well for 97! A generation made of very strong stuff indeed.

The photo is nice surprise, althougt the photo is not very recent one.
Grand Duke is indeed looking so well for 97.

Grand Duke Jean and the late GD Joséphine-Charlotte, Part 2 (April 2005 - )

This is a very well produced piece on the Grand Duchess Charlotte and her family during WW2 now available

Last edited:
Always nice if a family picture is released. Although I feel a bit bas for Louis that his sons weren't there. In addition, I am a bit surprised that the court combines ' Her Imperial and Royal Higness' with the title of 'countess' for Marie- Christine. Isn't the HIRH attached to her being an archduchess? Or is this a perfectly fine and normal use?

It would be lovely if all his descendants and their spouses were present.

Always nice if a family picture is released. Although I feel a bit bas for Louis that his sons weren't there. In addition, I am a bit surprised that the court combines ' Her Imperial and Royal Higness' with the title of 'countess' for Marie- Christine. Isn't the HIRH attached to her being an archduchess? Or is this a perfectly fine and normal use?

Since she has married she is a Countess of Limburg-Stirum but remains and Hi / RH. See for example Fürstin mathilde of Waldburg-Zeil,. n´üee Duchess of Württemberg sho is also still a HRH or her mopther.-in-law and born Princess f Bavaria.

Yes, I found it surprising how few of the grandkids of jean were there. At the very least I woukd have expected all of Henri's kids and grandkids to be there.

Half are missing and Gabriela of Habsbourg partner was not invited.
No Liechtenstein at all.

Since she has married she is a Countess of Limburg-Stirum but remains and Hi / RH. See for example Fürstin mathilde of Waldburg-Zeil,. n´üee Duchess of Württemberg sho is also still a HRH or her mopther.-in-law and born Princess f Bavaria.

Also for another example, the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein maintains her HRH style whereas her husband is a HSH, my understanding is is uaul to keep a higher style but use a husbands title in its feminine form.

I thought in most cases they would keep their higher title along with their husband's title but probably that practice is mainly used when they marry non-nobles. I had indeed noticed this practice with Sophie but those titles seemed more equal (both highness although one royal and one serene) than archduchess and countess. For example, it seems that HSH princess Alexandra of S-W-B wasn't known as HSH countess of P & K-E but as HSH princess Alexandra of S-W-B, countess of P & K-E.

Last edited:

It would be but as it is not a milestone birthday I understand that not all his children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren joined.

Half are missing and Gabriela of Habsbourg partner was not invited.
No Liechtenstein at all.

Had he been with Gabriella and Victoria I am sure he would have been included in the picture as a fiancé (and greatnephew of Jean). So, the most likely scenario is that they aren't together any longer. I don't think they have been spotted together after the rather awkward pictures taken soon after Victoria's birth.

Wonderful picture. Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Prinz Jean!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom