Grand Duke Jean and the late GD Joséphine-Charlotte, Part 2: April 2005 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, ps- I was watching this thing about Danish royalty when JC spoke a few times in English. At one point, she told this story about her first experience with the Norwegian royal family. I couldn't really understand what she was saying. She had a very strong accent when speaking English. Also, one I noticed one of my pet peves. She only spoke out of one side of her mouth. Just informing you all.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
Oh, ps- I was watching this thing about Danish royalty when JC spoke a few times in English. At one point, she told this story about her first experience with the Norwegian royal family. I couldn't really understand what she was saying. She had a very strong accent when speaking English. Also, one I noticed one of my pet peves. She only spoke out of one side of her mouth. Just informing you all.

Ah, yes...when she talked about her uncle George and him trying to drop his false teeth down her "decolleté" [I think she means her dress]. She is so sweet in that video.

IIRC, JC had had a stroke. That may explain why she spoke out of one side of her mouth. :(

suturegeisha said:
Ah, yes...when she talked about her uncle George and him trying to drop his false teeth down her "decolleté" [I think she means her dress]. She is so sweet in that video.

Yeah, I totally didn't understand what she was saying there. Her accent was stronger than some of the other royals.

did she really have a stroke? i did not know that. when did it happen?

msfroyste said:
did she really have a stroke? i did not know that. when did it happen?

I read it on the Benelux board quite some time ago, I think it happened in the mid 90s. But I'm not sure if that is when it happened. I definitely remember reading there that she had had a stroke.

It's true, the stroke left half of he face paralyzed, that's also why she looked a bit stern, but actally she was a very kind woman, with a great sence of humor.

Hi You All!! Jaja..all Or Most Of My Life I Got A Doubt...and It Is If Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte Has Got Blue Eyes Or Green Ones...and Henri??... I Think Grand Duke Jean Are Green..correct Me If I Am Wrong..i Will Thank You To Answer My Question..thank You...kisses For All!! :)

pauli_170291 said:
Hi You All!! Jaja..all Or Most Of My Life I Got A Doubt...and It Is If Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte Has Got Blue Eyes Or Green Ones...and Henri??... I Think Grand Duke Jean Are Green..correct Me If I Am Wrong..i Will Thank You To Answer My Question..thank You...kisses For All!! :)

I think Henri's are blue, but I can't distinguish JC's.

I was reading the weddings newsletter some time back and it said that during her wedding to Grand Duke Jean, as she was walking down the aisle, she was crying because she wanted to marry someone else (a commoner I think). Can anyone elaborate on this if this is true?

Late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte's eyes were green, late Grand Duke Jean's eyes are brown.;)
Grand Duke Henri has blue eyes and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa brown eyes.
I think all of their children have brown eyes (but I'm not totally sure for Louis).

Peaches said:
I was reading the weddings newsletter some time back and it said that during her wedding to Grand Duke Jean, as she was walking down the aisle, she was crying because she wanted to marry someone else (a commoner I think). Can anyone elaborate on this if this is true?

Yes, I've heard something like this multiple times, so it is probably true. I'm not sure about the commoner part, but it makes sense.

Why wasn't anyone else from his family there?

He's probably the main patron of that organization and that's the only reason that he was there.

Please excuse my ignorance, for I could not find any information about this, but how did the Grand Duke and Duchess meet?

Thank you for responding.

GlitteringTiaras said:
Please excuse my ignorance, for I could not find any information about this, but how did the Grand Duke and Duchess meet?

They were both detained from their homelands during WWII.

GlitteringTiaras said:

Grand Duke Jean's mother, Grand Duchess Charlotte, was the godmother of Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium, and the marriage was more or less arranged by Queen Elisabeth of Belgium [Joséphine-Charlotte's grandmother] and Grand Duchess Charlotte.

Grand duke Jean 85th birthday next month january 2006 and first four generations royal family of Luxemburg on month march 2006.

Happy 85th birthday Monseigneur!

2006-1.jpg

Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg

a short biography:

Jean Benoît Guillaume Marie Robert Louis Antoine Adolphe Marc d'Aviano, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon and Parma, born on 5th January 1921 on Berg castle.

Oldest son of Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix of Luxembourg

Became Grand Duke of Luxembourg on 12th November 1964

Marriage on 9th April 1953 with Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium in the Cathedrale Our Lady in Luxembourg

Father of five children: Marie-Astrid, Henri, Jean, Margaretha and Guillaume

Primary and secundary students on Berg Castle. From 1934 to 1938 boarding student of the famous Ampleforth College in Great Britain

Studied laws and politics on the Laval University in Québec

From 29th November 1942 to 1947 in the service of the British army, lieutnant then colonel of the "Irish Guards"

From 1951 to 1961 member of the cantonal government

From 28th April 1961 to 1964 representive of Grand Duchess Charlotte

From 1946 to 1998 member of the International Olympic Comittee

President of honor of the Luxembourgish Olympic Comittee
President of honor of the "Oeuvre des Pupilles de la Nation"
Chief-scout of the "Luxembourg Boy Scouts Association"
President of honor of the "Anciens combattants"

Text and picture from Luxemburger Wort (picture stored at photobucket)

Thank you, drimal, for the picture and the information! Grand Duke Jean looks like he's such a friendly person- he has a fabulous smile!
And I think it's sweet that he's the Chief Scout of the Boy Scouts. :-D

The life of Grand Duke Jean in images (I)

jean1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/drimal_/jean1.jpg
newborn Prince Jean

jean2.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/drimal_/jean2.jpg
Portrait of the young Prince in 1930

jean3.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/drimal_/jean3.jpg
The official wedding picture of April 1953

jean4.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/drimal_/jean4.jpg
the Grand Ducal family in 1954

jean7.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/drimal_/jean7.jpg
Luxembourg is liberated on 10.9.1944

jean8.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/drimal_/jean8.jpg
12.11.1964: Grand Duke Jean is swearing in at the parliament

jean6.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/drimal_/jean6.jpg
on 8th May 1986 grand Duke Jean (representing Luxembourg) recieved the Carls Price in Aachen

Source of text and images from Luxemburger Wort

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom