Yesterday whole Luxembourg lost a very nice person with so many dignity, elegance and wisdom!:( The whole country will be in mourning until Saturday 18 o'clock and the Grand Ducal family will have no official visit or dinner for the next six weeks. Every flag will be at half-mast the next days!:(
I have found some childhood pictures of a shy and elegant little Princess Josephine-Charlotte born on 11tn October 1927 in Brussel as the first child of Prince Leopold (later King of Belgium) and Princess Astrid of Sweden. She had a very sad childhood because father Leopold died when she was only six and her mother Astrid one year later. She was called by the Belgian people La Princesse triste (the sad Princess) and she was a little bit like a mother for her two younger brothers Baudouin and Albert.
1. playing with brother Baudouin
2.and 3. other pictures with brother Baudouin
4. an interesting spectator
5. with brother Baudouin
6. with mother Astrid in 1930
7. Josephine-Charlotte and Baudouin on the crip of younger brother Albert (actual King of Belgium) in 1934
8. Josephine-Charlotte in 1935
Princess Marie Astrid 17th February 1954
Prince Henri 16th April 1955
Princess Margaretha and Prince Jean 15th May 1957
Prince Guillaume 1st May 1967
1.and 2. with her first child Marie Astrid in 1954
3. with newborn Prince Henri on 16th April 1955
4. with little Marie Astrid again
5. to 7. the ceremony during which she became Grand Duchess on 12th November 1964
8. and 9. she gave birth to twins on 15th May 1957
10. a happy family picture around 1960
...Et war eng diskret Fra, eng Fra, déi probéiert huet, eis no bannen ze verstoen an eis no bausse mat vill Noblesse a mat vill Dignitéit vertrueden huet. Si hat ee grousst Wëssen, war eng héichgebillte Fra mat vill Versteesdemech fir d'Problemer vun der Welt, déi grouss dobaussen, an déi méi kleng heiheem...
...She was a discreet woman, a woman who tried to understand us , and who reprents our county with a lot of nobility and dignity. She has a large knowledge, was a good educated woman and therefor also a woman with sympathy for the problems on our world, the larger outside and the smaller at home...
(quotation of Luxembourg's Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker)
Au revoir, Altesse Royale. Awar Madame
1.on the wedding of Alexandra of Denmark with Queen Sofie of Spain on 6th June 1998
2. on the 65th birthday of her brother King Albert II of Belgium
3.and 4. on 9.10.1999 on the "Nature against Nature" exhibition in Arlon (B)
5. on her son Guillaume's celebration to Hereditary Grand Duke in December 2000
6. on a ceremony of the Irish Guards on 7.6.2000
7. on the wedding of Prince Haakon of Norway and Mette-Marit on 25.8.2000
8. on the 100th birthday of Queen Mum on 11.7.2000
9. on the wedding of Prince Philippe and Matile of Belgium on 4.12.1999
10. with brother Albert on 16th March 1999
1. August 24, 1935 - JC and Baudoin.
2. June 1950 - King Leopold with daughter JC, 22 years old.
3. October 10, 1952 - JC, 25 years old.
4. April 12, 1973 - Jean and JC's 20th wedding anniversary.
5. January 27, 1976 - Jean and JC.
6. March 11, 1981 - Receiving Beatrix and Claus.
7. March 16, 1999 - In Brussels.
8. November 26, 2002 - JC in Rome.
11th October 1927
Birth of the daughter of Hereditary Prince Leopold III of Belgium and subsequent Queen Astrid. Her brothers are Baudouin and Albert II (both future Kings). Her godmother was Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg!
The very popular Queen Astrid died in a car accident in Küssnacht (Switzerland)
10th May 1940
Germany conquered Belgium. While the government went to exil, the Royal family was staying during the whole occupation at the castle of Laeken.
After the landing of the Allies in the Normandie, the Germans abducted the Royal family first on Hirschstein Castle in Saxony and then to Strobl in Austria where they were liberated on 7th May 1945
8th September 1944
The Belgian government decided that the abducted King were not allowed to exercise his sovereign power any longer and thus Leopold III's brother Prince Charles achieved to the Belgian throne.
10th March 1949
The Princess Josephine-Charlotte was the first member of the Royal family to come back in a devided Belgium considering the Royal subject
12th March 1950
The majority of the Belgian voted for a return of the King Leopold who exercise again his functions on 12th July of the same year.
9th March 1953
Marriage with Hereditary Grand Duc Jean in the cathedral of Luxembourg
17th February 1954
Birth of Princess Marie-Astrid
16th April 1955
Birth of Prince Henri
15th May 1957
Birth of Princess Margaretha and Prince Jean
The Grand Duchess became president of Red Cross Luxembourg
1th May 1963
Birth of Prince Guillaume
The Grand Duchess, a good art expert, was awarded honorary co-chairman of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice
10th January 2005
Death of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte
1. with her beautiful mother Astrid
2.and 3. two sweet pics of Josephine-Charlotte
4. with her mother again
5. with her mother, brother Baudouin and little Albert
6. and 7. with brother Baudouin
8. and 9. making her communion
10. as a young lady
She was perhabs a shy person but not without emotions!
She had many interest, was a hobby filmer, an expert in art (was awarded honorary co-chairman of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice in 1991!:) ) and had a large collection of porcelaine.
1. and 2. the hobby fimer Josephine-Charlotte
3. going on to an art exhibition
4. with her husband Grand Duke Jean
5. with her five grown up children on the beginning of 1980
6. a beautiful picture of 1976
7. an earlier picture with little Marie Astrid and little Henri
8. as a proud grandmother on July 1990 in Cabasson
9. with her husband and her grandchildren Guillaume, Felix, Louis, Sebastien and Alexandra in 2000
10. the Grand Ducal couple before the throne achievement of son Henri
11. with Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustav of Sweden and the parents (?)
12.to 14. with Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
15. the faithful Grand Duchess in the Vatican in 1999 with the family (apart from Henri and Maria Teresa and their children, their are also Prince Guillaume and his wife Sibilla Weiler)
16. on 29.7.1995 on the Côte d'Azur with (former) GD Jean, GD Henri, GD Maria Teresa, Princess Marie Astrid and husband Archduke Carl Christian of Austria and all their children
17. swimming in the Mediterranean water on 9.8.1994 :)
18.to 20. on the 75th birthday of Grand Duke Jean in January 1996 with the whole family
21.to 24. on the civil marriage of son Guillaume and Sibilla Weiler in Selestat on 8.9.1994
25. on the first communion of grandchild Sebastien on 14.5.2000
26.to 29. on the first communion of grandchild Alexandra on 9.5.1998
30. on 11.11.1999 the day of Guillaume's 18th birthday
31. and 32. during the throne achievement of son Henri on 7.10.2000 (that was her last day as Grand Duchess! )
33. and 34. on Guillaume's Sandhurst graduation on 9.8.2002 (I love that last picture!:o )