Grand Ducal Family Protocol

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is going to get a bit strange when one of the current commoner crown princesses ascend to the throne and those who still are still waiting in line will have to curtsey to them. Also CP of royal blood would have to bow to the new Queen who a few years back was either a waitress or a real estate agent etc.etc.

If one knows that King Carl Gustav has precedence -protocol wise- over King Juan Carlos because he is reigning longer than JC and Marie and Mary curtsey to the Queen, one understands that protocol is still alive and well among the royals and those who live in these circles.

I wouldn't bow or curtsey to anyone. Not really trying to be rude but I feel like that's unnecessary and I don't believe that anyone is better than anyone else, espcially not the British royal family.

This is entirely up to you. If you are in a position to be close enough to the royals and not just standing in a crowd, then not curtseying would be considered very bad manners. Also if you are for some reason invited to an event where they are present and you are presented to them and don´t curtsey with the excuse you are as good as them, that would be considered gross and extremely bad manners (I am presuming you are a Canadian citizen) nothing will happen to you, they won´t chop off your head, you will be noted, and you can be sure that you will never be invited again.

I wouldn't bow or curtsey to anyone. Not really trying to be rude but I feel like that's unnecessary and I don't believe that anyone is better than anyone else, espcially not the British royal family.

Basically I agree with you but if you want to respect the court etiquette you should do it, you do not honour the person but their office.

The only occasion I feel to bow is when I am in front of the Pope, in all other occasions I do it only to respect the etiquette.

i wonder how wil they react if you do not bow to them? or for that fact to any other royal? some timeS I think about Maxima, we grow up in the same neiborhood, i went to the same school, i reaally it would be funny to me! to have to bow to her1

A young member of a Royal family would not be surprised, but an old one...yes, especially if we talk about the Queen of England. The other are more free, in any case, in official occasions (i.e. reception at the Palace wearing white tie and tiaras) it is nice to see it.
If you a day will attend one of them, let's say, in Spain, you will see how many people are bowing...

If you wouldn't bow or curtsey to ANYONE then why add "especially not the British royal family"? Do you mean that you would bow or curtsey to some people but exclusively not British royalty? And what's wrong with the British royal family? Are you prejudice? Explain please.

It is going to get a bit strange when one of the current commoner crown princesses ascend to the throne and those who still are still waiting in line will have to curtsey to them. Also CP of royal blood would have to bow to the new Queen who a few years back was either a waitress or a real estate agent etc.etc.

If one knows that King Carl Gustav has precedence -protocol wise- over King Juan Carlos because he is reigning longer than JC and Marie and Mary curtsey to the Queen, one understands that protocol is still alive and well among the royals and those who live in these circles.

Indeed Odette, if you "live" in that circle you must do it, even if when you talk to the King or Queen you call them uncle and auntie...
Of course we are always talking about official ceremonies.

This is entirely up to you. If you are in a position to be close enough to the royals and not just standing in a crowd, then not curtseying would be considered very bad manners. Also if you are for some reason invited to an event where they are present and you are presented to them and don´t curtsey with the excuse you are as good as them, that would be considered gross and extremely bad manners (I am presuming you are a Canadian citizen) nothing will happen to you, they won´t chop off your head, you will be noted, and you can be sure that you will never be invited again.

Haha, yes I hope I won't get guillotined for not observing court etiquette! And yes, I am a Canadian citizen btw. It's not so much that I want to be rude and difficult but it would just be for religious and personal reasons, you know? I'm not expecting to get invitations to any royal events anytime soon though, so it's not a big worry to me. ;)

If you wouldn't bow or curtsey to ANYONE then why add "especially not the British royal family"? Do you mean that you would bow or curtsey to some people but exclusively not British royalty? And what's wrong with the British royal family? Are you prejudice? Explain please.

Just some personal issues I have with (some of) them, nothing to concern anyone, just a mindless 15-year-old girl's ramblings.

Basically I agree with you but if you want to respect the court etiquette you should do it, you do not honour the person but their office.

The only occasion I feel to bow is when I am in front of the Pope, in all other occasions I do it only to respect the etiquette.

For me it's a religious reason too, though I'm not Catholic. I just feel like those kinds of protocols are also a little bit outdated, I'd be very polite and say "your majesty" and everything to them and I'd totally respect their position but I just don't feel bowing or curtseying is a necessity to that.

The curstey is not to the individual it is a sign of respect to the position that individual holds.

On the official picture of Monaco The Grand Duke and The Grand Duchess were between Prince Albert and Princesses Charlène, Caroline and Sephanie.
The other guests were on the huge stairsteps why? because they were rulers of a small country as Monaco??

Just wondering since we are talking about protocol...
Are you allowed to wear a tiara to a tiara event, even though you are neither of royal heritage nor head of state.

Yes, if you have one or can borrow one you can wear it.

Back
Top Bottom