General Information and Questions about the Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would legally be the name of Marie-Astirds children, as these titles aren´t legally valid since 1918 or so. Imre von Habsburg-Lotharingen or Imre erzherzog von Habsburg-Lotharingen?

muhahahahahahaha...that's hilarious Solange 'just put a wig on him and some make-up and voila, you have Josephine-Charlotte'!!! yes alot of people look lot like their mother for example Princess Caroline of Monaco and her daughter Charlotte Casiraghi!

....and Princess Grace and Caroline---Caroline's like a darker version of her mother.

Cooking

This may seem like a stupid question but do the Grand Ducal family have chefs or do they like to cook for each other? i.e. Maria Teresa and Henri cooking for the rest of family, because it seems like they are a close family unit a might enjoy doing things like this, like a more normal family

I've seen a few pictures that would suggest that it's a mixture of both. I remember seeing a picture where Henri was cooking up some pasta and they were eating in a normal sized kitchen. But then I imagine that they would also have a chef on hand for when the parents are away.

Are both Prince Guillaume and Prince Felix left-handed?

I saw that they both their watch on the right hand. Or is this a European trend?

I have here a picture which shows quite clearly Guillaume writing with the right hand and answering the phone with the left. That means he's probably right-handed. As you (aivi) have pointed out, the watch is visible on the right hand. I hadn't noticed this before! Perhaps it's a European trend. Not sure about Felix's 'handedness'. Will try to look around.

Picture from: http://luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl/

Attachments

• GuillaumeLux_23.jpg
    GuillaumeLux_23.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 766
Well, my father is right-handed but wears his watch on his right hand, too. However, he was originally left-handed, but his teacher thought that it was not a good thing, so switched him. He still plays sports left-handed, though.

Thanks for looking it up firelight. :)

Well, my father is right-handed but wears his watch on his right hand, too. However, he was originally left-handed, but his teacher thought that it was not a good thing, so switched him. He still plays sports left-handed, though.

My aunt (also a teacher) taught me to write with my right hand and I did for a while too, but I went back writing with my left. Im stubborn. :) Anyway, its hard to write with a wrist watch, especially with those large silver ones, like the one Prince Guillaume was wearing. Its in the pic where he was playing table football.

I have here a picture which shows quite clearly Guillaume writing with the right hand and answering the phone with the left. That means he's probably right-handed. As you (aivi) have pointed out, the watch is visible on the right hand. I hadn't noticed this before! Perhaps it's a European trend. Not sure about Felix's 'handedness'. Will try to look around.

Picture from: luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl

But maybe its a personal preference too I guess, because that lady behind him is wearing her watch on her left hand, and it looks like shes writing with her right? boy its confusing. :rolleyes: I just find it hard to write with a chain-like thing on my wrist.

I wear it on my wrist and I'm right handed. I'm still in high school, so I definitely write a lot, and it doesn't bother me. I read something similar about Charlotte Casiraghi wearing her watch on her right hand too.

And here I thought it was the standard thing to wear the watch on the left hand. Well, you learn something new every day. :) Like aivi, I find it cumbersome to have something dangling on the right hand (I'm right handed). So I wonder why our right handed princes wear their watches on the right hand. What about Louis, Sebastien and Alex?

Im am right handed and wear my watch on my right hand and also on occasions on my left hand, it may be a european thing as I'm NZ European but as far as I know its just what people are comfortable with is they way they will wear there watch. I saw a photo of Guilluame with a pen in his right hand.

I'm right handed and I wear my watch on the left wrist...my sister though is also right handed and wears hers on the right wrist. :whistling: My grandfather was left handed and wore his on his LEFT wrist while my uncle (also left handed) wears his watch on his right wrist. It's just a matter of comfort I would think.

On a funny side note- we also had to figure out whether my dogs were 'righty' or 'lefty' for sheep herding and agility training....apparently we have two left handed (pawed?) Shetland Sheepdogs and a right-handed Shetland Sheepdog. Who knew?;)

Then its probably a European thing. I think a teacher told me that you could tell if a person was left-handed or right by looking to see which wrist his watch was on. Supposedly, watches are worn on the non-dominant hand, so it wouldnt interfere with the flow of writing.

It doesn't make them left handed if they wear their watches on their left hand, i saw people wearing their watches on their left hands, I write by my right hand and i wear a watch on my left hand and i wear a bracelet on my right hand.

Hello to all. I am new, I like much the family,I like all ,especially felix,They look like a great family.
I have a few questions
Felix has girlfriend,Someone knows of some relation???
The Swiss company where he works in what city is?
Thanks!!!!!

I believe Prince Guillaume has to have permission to marry from the Grand Duke and parliment, but do his other sibling have to have both parliments and the Grand Dkes permission, only the Grand Dukes, or neither?

I was wondering if anyone knew who are the clostest friends to the family? I was wondering if anyone knew if they are particularly close friends to other royals from other countries.

I visited their (very small) officiel palace in Luxembourg city during the summer holidays 3 years ago. I had to book and to pay ; in my country(Belgium) during six weeks people may visit the royal palace for free.
In the big reception room I noticed that all the royal paintings of the past have been removed and Maria Therasa was everywhere ; alone , with the Grand-Duke , one with her daughter Alexandra... She is the family's boss !

I visited their (very small) officiel palace in Luxembourg city during the summer holidays 3 years ago. I had to book and to pay ; in my country(Belgium) during six weeks people may visit the royal palace for free.
In the big reception room I noticed that all the royal paintings of the past have been removed and Maria Therasa was everywhere ; alone , with the Grand-Duke , one with her daughter Alexandra... She is the family's boss !
She's a real Aries!

We visiting the Palace 5 and 2 years ago.
There where also paintings from JEAN, Joséphine-Charlotte, Charlotte, Marie-Adelaïde, Guillaume IV and Adolphe!
Not in the reception Room but in others, may you can look at them to!

I saw a picture of Guillaume and Felix meeting Felipe of Spain and Guillaume looked tiny standing next to Felipe. I know Felip is pretty tall but I think Guillaume went up to his shoulders. It was a funny picture, just to see how short Guillaume is in comparison.

Felipe is 6'5" I've saw this recorded several times. I was an avid Felipe watcher from the time I was 17 (many years ago) until he married.

What dictates what color sash they wear? Why in the picture below does GD Henri wear his sash from the left to the right and Prince Guillaume wear his from the right to the left?

Picture

Last edited by a moderator:
These two are completely different orders (sashes). One is from Denmark (the blue which Henri is wearing), one is from Luxembourg (the yellow which Guillaume is wearing). Each has its own rules in which they must be worn. Here is a thread which has lots of information on the different orders and their corresponding sashes.

Thank you JessRulz! Your information was very helpful!

When royals visit another country it is traditional for the representatives to wear the order of the other country - if they have been granted any. The HGD is left to wear the Luxembourg order because it is what he has while Henri often wears the orders of of where he visits or who visits him because he has many orders. If the King of Spain visits Luxembourg expect to see him and Sofia wearing Luxembourg orders and any of the Luxembourg family that has a Spanish order wearing that.

I often wondered if this was just a traditional show of respect or if it was a not so subtle way of saying "I'm special here too." ;)

What would legally be the name of Marie-Astirds children, as these titles aren´t legally valid since 1918 or so. Imre von Habsburg-Lotharingen or Imre erzherzog von Habsburg-Lotharingen?

If they have Austrian passports, then their legal surname is Habsburg-Lotharingen (without "von", because it is forbidden in Austria). If they have German passports, then their legal surname can be either von Habsburg-Lotharingen (I think this is the legal surname of The Crown Prince of Austria) or Erzeherzog von Habsburg-Lotharingen. Well, that's how I understand it :flowers:

I would sincerely doubt that they carried anything other than Luxembourg passports.

Back
Top Bottom