General Information and Questions about the Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
britty1 said:
Oh fabulous... I've finally discovered a preety normal royal family!! Yeahhhhh!!! :lol: :lol:

I hate to be the gossip queen (as if :lol:), but I read from some other forum that the unofficial word in Luxembourg is that the GD Maria Teresa actually lives in Paris, alone, and comes back only to attend her official duties. No reason as to why that is though... :ermm:

House of Nassau?

What could you possibly tell me about the House of Nassau:flowers: ?

Especially the Nassau-Weilburg connection:ermm: ?

i wanted to ask a few questions if its ok maybe someone can answer

-which of the grand duke's siblings live in luxembourg?

-which of the castles do they stay in or do they stay with the GD and his family?

-where is GD Jean living?

-and if anybody knew their protocol

wikipedia says that henri and his family reside in berg castle.

gabys said:

-which of the castles do they stay in or do they stay with the GD and his family?

Grand Duke Jean lives at Fischbach castle which was before the residence of Grand Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. They switched their Castles in 2002 and Henri and Maria Teresa live now at Colmar-Berg. They have also the use of the Palace in Luxembourg-City for official acts.

gabys said:

Grand Duke Henri's younger brother Prince Guillaume is living with his wife Sibilla in Contern (Luxembourg).

All the other siblings are living abroad: Princess Marie Astrid with Archduke Hans Christian of Austria are living somewhere in Austria, Princess Margaretha with Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein are living in Brussels because her husband is Prince Nikolaus is the Ambassador of Liechtenstein in Belgium and non-resident Ambassador to the Holy See.
Prince Jean is living in Paris with his children after the devorce of Helen Vesture and giving up his rights in 1986.

For Grand Ducal protocol look here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/protocol-4251.html

Corret me if I am wrong but the House of Nassau is a branch of the Dutch royal house of Nassau-Orange.

The house of Nassau split up in the line of Walram and the lione of Otto, the Orange-Nassau's are descendants from the Ottonian branch. The Nassau-Weilburgs are from the Walramian branch. Bioth branches has variosus sidelines like Nassau-Dillenburg, Nassau-Siegen etc., but all of those lines are extinct.

There were few other grand duchies at one time or another but most of all of them are abolished.Leaving Luxembourg the last reigning Grand Duchy in the world. Which is mind blowing there are thousands of nations but there are the last grand duchy left.

It was announced today that the constitution of Luxembourg will change to allow men and women equal rights of succession.

That is great news! We will have to see what gender Guillame has in the future.

A small niggly point - it's not gender, it's sex. Sex is the biological difference between a man and a woman - that is; hormone profiles, genitalia and chromasomes. Gender is the social perceptions of what it is to be male or female - that is; gender roles, masculinity, feminitity. One can be of the male sex but of the female gender and vice versa. So this amendment to the constitution will be made on sex and not gender. :flowers:

:flowers: Beatrix Fan, according to the Cambridge dictionary, "gender" does mean sex as in male or female. The Oxford dictionary says the same thing but also states what you state as frequent use. However, here in the United States she is using it correctly. So you are both correct!
I am sorry... that was totally off topic.

It's good to see that countries are taking care of this Constitutional issue before it becomes an "issue".

Last edited:
Good news!:flowers:

Perhaps they're doing it in good time, in order to avoid any of the problems seen in other countries over succession issues. This way, there won't be a problem for Guillaume's potential children.

Yayness! Are they doing this for the future only, i.e. Guillaume's children, or will they do this retroactively and allow Alexandra in the line of succession?

you are right. His name is prince Louis he and his now wife tessy had a baby out of wedlock. He still has the title prince louis of luxembourg, but lost his line in succession. His wife tessy and children and future children will not be in the line of succesion and only have the title de nassau.

If louis wouldn't have had the baby out of wedlock what title would she be given?i also wanted to ask if the kids of Jean and Margaretha get married will their spouses get any kind of titles?Oh and since in some monarchies the princes/princess have to ask the reigning monarch for permission to marry, does that apply to the Luxembourg royals too ?

If louis wouldn't have had his baby out of wedlock Tessy and their children would have the title prince/princess de nassau. I dont think Jeans children spouses would have a title of prince/princess because he gave up his rights they would probably get a title of de nassau like tessy and their children. And I think they do have to get permission i remember reading somewhere about Henri having to ask his father and mother for permission.

If louis wouldn't have had the baby out of wedlock what title would she be given?

Gabriel would have been a Prince de Nassau, Royal Highness.

i also wanted to ask if the kids of Jean and Margaretha get married will their spouses get any kind of titles?

I imagine that when Jean's three sons get married their wives will be able to use their husband's title, so that would make them Princesses de Nassau. However, since titles don't pass on through the female line, Marie Gabrielle's husband won't get any kind of title. Margaretha's kids are all Prince/ss of Liechtenstein, and I'm fairly certain it will be handled similarly--when Josef Emmanuel gets married his wife will become a Princess of Liechtenstein, but when Marie Astrid and Maria Annunciata get married their husbands won't get a title.

Oh and since in some monarchies the princes/princess have to ask the reigning monarch for permission to marry, does that apply to the Luxembourg royals too ?

Yes, I believe that they all must ask permission of both the Grand Duke and the government, if I'm not mistaken.

Hope this helped. :D

I dont know if this has been discussed but, I have a question. Marie Astrid was born before GD henri. But she didnt take the throne and i know the women dont have equal rights in the grand duchy (monarch-wise). But how come Marie Astrid didnt take the throne? And if women in the monarchy arent treated equivilant to men the how come GD jeans mother Grand Duchess charlotte was able to take the throne?

I dont know if this has been discussed but, I have a question. Marie Astrid was born before GD henri. But she didnt take the throne and i know the women dont have equal rights in the grand duchy (monarch-wise). But how come Marie Astrid didnt take the throne? And if women in the monarchy arent treated equivilant to men the how come GD jeans mother Grand Duchess charlotte was able to take the throne?

Marie-Astrid didn't take the throne because in Luxembourg the succession laws put all male heirs before any females. When Henri was born that knocked Marie Astrid's chances of being Grand Duchess away.

And the reason that Grand Duke Jean's mother Grand Duchess Charlotte came to the throne was because her father, Grand Duke Guillaume IV, and his wife Grand Duchess Maria Anna only had daughters--six of them in fact: Marie Adelaide, Charlotte, Hilda, Antoinette, Elisabeth, and Sophia.

Guillaume IV named Marie Adelaide the heir to the throne, and she ruled from 1912-1919. She abdicated because she had been accused of being too friendly towards the German occupiers of Luxembourg during Word War I, and her sister Charlotte succeeded her because Marie Adelaide never married and had no children.

I hope that helped answer your question. :D

Are there any video of prince felix speaking? I cant seem to find any! So if any know of one please let me know.

xoxo
Chanelwindsor

Are Prince Sebastian, Princess Alexandra and Prince Louis religous?

I would guess somewhat they are. But I guess it would depend on what you think religious is. I am sure they attend mass every week.

I have a question about princess margaretha's children. I know that marie astrid's children did not inherit the titles of their mother. But is the same true for Margaretha's children? Do they only have Lichtenstein titles? Also, what are their official titles then? I know that's more like 3 questions but if someone could answer that would be great.

I have a question about princess margaretha's children. I know that marie astrid's children did not inherit the titles of their mother. But is the same true for Margaretha's children? Do they only have Lichtenstein titles? Also, what are their official titles then? I know that's more like 3 questions but if someone could answer that would be great.

Marie Astrid's children have their father's titles: Prince/Princess Imperial and Archduke/Archduchess of Austria, Prince/Princess Royal of Hungaria and Bohemia with the style of Imperial and Royal Highness (HI & RH)
Margaretha's children have also their fathers title: Prince/Princess of Liechtenstein with the style of Serene Highness (HSH)

Back
Top Bottom