The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria
MT's grandfather was a Cuban bankman, and it is said that the reason Henri was allowed to marry her was that she had money of her own. Though how much money, is unclear; her family doesn't strike to me as fabulously rich. MT's parents are dead, but her brother attended the silver anniversary; he was the bald, sort of boxer-looking guy whose wife had big, blond hair.
I think her family was very rich. Have you ever seen pictures of the house (mansion) in Geneva where she grew up? BTW, that was her younger brother Luis and his wife Nicole. She also has a sister, Catalina, and an older brother, Antonio.

According to interviews with MT, she and Henri were introduced through mutual friends of both of their parents with whom Henri came to live when he attended the University of Geneva. Henri and MT were in the same political science program for four years. They decided early on that they were meant "one for the other" but kept it a secret from everyone. (However, she has said that her parents had Henri over to dinner every night.)

There seem to have been many ups and downs over the last ten years. There have been rumors of Maria Teresa's alcoholism and Henri's affair with Lydie Polfer, along with Maria Teresa's nervous breakdown, breast implants, and tearful meeting with journalists to tell of the abuse of Josephine-Charlotte. Her son, Crown Prince Guillaume, appears to have dropped out of college and now Prince Louis has had a child at nineteen. All rather shocking from the "nice" Luxembourg royal family.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy
There seem to have been many ups and downs over the last ten years. There have been rumors of Maria Teresa's alcoholism and Henri's affair with Lydie Polfer, along with Maria Teresa's nervous breakdown, breast implants, and tearful meeting with journalists to tell of the abuse of Josephine-Charlotte. Her son, Crown Prince Guillaume, appears to have dropped out of college and now Prince Louis has had a child at nineteen. All rather shocking from the "nice" Luxembourg royal family.
They are people. Wow.

I think the press meeting did happen. Louis had his baby. JC wasn't too keen on MT - but was she too keen on anyone? About the rest, well, it's possible. Anything can happen, and sometimes even the best of people get sidetracked. I think - and don't kill me for saying this - that the reason H and MT have become a good target to all sorts of rumours is that they look like two extremely different people. He's shy and retiring, she's outgoing and bold. He likes books and classical music and fishing and hunting, she enjoys pop and dancing and clothes. He is private and modest, she likes attention. He's athletic (as in has run marathons), she enjoys her chocolate ice-cream. Sometimes the same opposites that attract at first later tear you apart.

Except these two don't have that kind of luxury. They run a conservative country. They have five kids. I recently read that H barely knew his parents growing up and so has been very careful to be the best father. They present a nice picture outside, and quite really, no-one knows what goes behind that but they themselves.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Commoner

Oh fabulous... I've finally discovered a preety normal royal family!! Yeahhhhh!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Courtier

No one is perfect espically not the Luxembourg royal family even tho they hold titles and we don't does not make them mistake free. They have the most normal lives out of all of the European royal families I watch this show callled royal families of the world and saw the members of Luxembourg royal family . Riding their bicycles on a nice summer day this show was taped back in 1998 when Herni was still Hereditary Grand Duke not Crown Prince because he was not heir to a throne of a kingdom or a empire that is the correct title of the heir
to the Luxembourg throne is Hereditary Grand Duke period.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by britty1
Oh fabulous... I've finally discovered a preety normal royal family!! Yeahhhhh!!!
I hate to be the gossip queen (as if ), but I read from some other forum that the unofficial word in Luxembourg is that the GD Maria Teresa actually lives in Paris, alone, and comes back only to attend her official duties. No reason as to why that is though...
Old 01-17-2007, 07:23 AM

House of Nassau?

What could you possibly tell me about the House of Nassau ?

Especially the Nassau-Weilburg connection ?
- Georgie.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Commoner

http://genealogy.euweb.cz/nassau/nassau1.html
Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Different kinds of Nassau surname

http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...=of+nassau&t=N

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Nassau
Old 02-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Commoner

i wanted to ask a few questions if its ok maybe someone can answer

-which of the grand duke's siblings live in luxembourg?

-which of the castles do they stay in or do they stay with the GD and his family?

-where is GD Jean living?

-and if anybody knew their protocol
Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Aristocracy

wikipedia says that henri and his family reside in berg castle.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabys

-which of the castles do they stay in or do they stay with the GD and his family?

Grand Duke Jean lives at Fischbach castle which was before the residence of Grand Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. They switched their Castles in 2002 and Henri and Maria Teresa live now at Colmar-Berg. They have also the use of the Palace in Luxembourg-City for official acts.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabys

Grand Duke Henri's younger brother Prince Guillaume is living with his wife Sibilla in Contern (Luxembourg).

All the other siblings are living abroad: Princess Marie Astrid with Archduke Hans Christian of Austria are living somewhere in Austria, Princess Margaretha with Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein are living in Brussels because her husband is Prince Nikolaus is the Ambassador of Liechtenstein in Belgium and non-resident Ambassador to the Holy See.
Prince Jean is living in Paris with his children after the devorce of Helen Vesture and giving up his rights in 1986.

For Grand Ducal protocol look here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ocol-4251.html
Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Corret me if I am wrong but the House of Nassau is a branch of the Dutch royal house of Nassau-Orange.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

The Dutch Royal House

Genealogy of the House Orange-Nassau

Joan's Dutch Royal Genealogy (Orange-Nassau)

Dutch (Netherlands) Royal Family

Nassau-Weilburg Royal Family
Old 03-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The house of Nassau split up in the line of Walram and the lione of Otto, the Orange-Nassau's are descendants from the Ottonian branch. The Nassau-Weilburgs are from the Walramian branch. Bioth branches has variosus sidelines like Nassau-Dillenburg, Nassau-Siegen etc., but all of those lines are extinct.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Courtier

There were few other grand duchies at one time or another but most of all of them are abolished.Leaving Luxembourg the last reigning Grand Duchy in the world. Which is mind blowing there are thousands of nations but there are the last grand duchy left.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:10 PM

It was announced today that the constitution of Luxembourg will change to allow men and women equal rights of succession.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

That is great news! We will have to see what gender Guillame has in the future.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 PM

A small niggly point - it's not gender, it's sex. Sex is the biological difference between a man and a woman - that is; hormone profiles, genitalia and chromasomes. Gender is the social perceptions of what it is to be male or female - that is; gender roles, masculinity, feminitity. One can be of the male sex but of the female gender and vice versa. So this amendment to the constitution will be made on sex and not gender.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Royal Highness

Beatrix Fan, according to the Cambridge dictionary, "gender" does mean sex as in male or female. The Oxford dictionary says the same thing but also states what you state as frequent use. However, here in the United States she is using it correctly. So you are both correct!
I am sorry... that was totally off topic.

It's good to see that countries are taking care of this Constitutional issue before it becomes an "issue".