The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thats probably coincidental. Lots of people look like their mothers.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

muhahahahahahaha...that's hilarious Solange 'just put a wig on him and some make-up and voila, you have Josephine-Charlotte'!!! yes alot of people look lot like their mother for example Princess Caroline of Monaco and her daughter Charlotte Casiraghi!

Old 12-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Nobility

This is a bit odd but I think that my Grandmother looks a little like GD Joséphine-Charlotte. They have the same strong jaw and almost the same mouth and eyes. I wonder if they're related... I hope so because then I can get in good with Euro royals. Hehehehehehehe!
Old 12-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

That would be amazing!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLouise
This is a bit odd but I think that my Grandmother looks a little like GD Joséphine-Charlotte. They have the same strong jaw and almost the same mouth and eyes. I wonder if they're related... I hope so because then I can get in good with Euro royals. Hehehehehehehe!
wow that's so cool you might be a distant relative of the Luxembourg Royal family!!! My friend is a distant relative of the Windsors and they sent her family a letter of acknowledgement of their distant kinship...apparently i'm suppose to address her as Lady Kristel but i can't be bothered hahaha
Old 12-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Nobility

That'd be cool to find out you're distantly related to a royal family... I guess so many people must be without realising it!
Old 12-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

hehehehe...back to Genes of the LRF...ao all the princes and princess have brown eyse? i know Guillaume and Felix...and Alexandra...
Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Nobility

Speaking of genes - there's a thread on King Leopold III and Queen Astrid of Belgians here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...d=1#post153080
They are Joséphine Charlotte's parents. You can see a definite resemblance between JC on her wedding day and her beautiful mama! (I hope the link works because I'm nortoriously bad at that sort of thing - I just hope it doesn't accidentally link you to a rude site by mistake!)
Old 12-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Don't worry! I can't put in photos, even if I try!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Majesty

how many castles or palaces are there
Old 12-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

1 palace, 3 castles.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Do they own all the palace and castles? I mean does the government have control over the palace and castles? can they take it away from the RLF in certain circumstances?
Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
Do they own all the palace and castles? I mean does the government have control over the palace and castles? can they take it away from the RLF in certain circumstances?
Well I found a report of 4 pages in a book in German about this subject!
It is difficult to translate the whole text in English and thus I will try a summary here.

The residences of the Grand Ducal Family:
  1. Berg Castle in Colmar-Berg: A certain Warnier de Berghe sur l'Arlisante was the builder of this castle in the 14th century. In 1845 the King-Grand Duke Wilhelm II of the family of Blochausen bought the castle for 632000 Gulden (ancient currency of the Netherlands). His successor Wilhelm III renovated the castle and lived later several times with his family in it. After the line of Nassau-Weilburg achieved the throne in 1891 with Grand Duke Adolf the castle this family owned the castle after a buying. It was at that time entailed estate and in 1934 the state bought the castle and give it the family for living. (It is very very difficult to translate it because there are German law terms like Hausfideikommiss I have never heard in my live and so to translate this in English. But I hope you have understand it)
  2. Fischbach Castle has also a long history! The men of the ancient nobility of Fischbach were named in texts of the year 1050. The original castle walls were destroyed by flames in 1635. It was rebuild in 1685 and in 1850 the King-Grand Duke Wilhelm III bought it and since 1905 the Nassau family ownes that castle (it is private property)
  3. The Palace is the only dwelling of the Grand Ducal family which can be visited!:) The building was the city hall of Luxembourg (city) before 11th June 1554. At that date the city hall was going up into flames. 18 years later it was rebuild. Than it was a Prefecture des Departements des Forêts under Napoleon in the 19th century and after the threaty of Vienna in 1815 the parliament moved into the palace. 1860 the parliament left the palace and moved into the right site where itis today yet! Under Wilhelm II it became an exclusive seat of the Grand Ducal family and in 1895 Grand Duke Adolph and Grand Duchess Marie-Adelheid moved into the castle.
  4. Betzdorf Castle was build in 1912 and the state ownes it. It was given to Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte for living and they live in it from 1953 up to 1964. Prince Henri and his siblings were born in Betzdorf! Today Betzdorf is the seat of SES Société Européenne des Satellites!
  5. The holiday villa in Cabasson was bought in 1949 by Grand Duchess Charlotte.
I hope that the questions are answered for the satisfaction of everybody.:)
Old 12-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you VERY much for answering my question Drimal! Golly must have took you a while to translate it...well it would have taken me forever! ^__^ So the government actually owns some of the castles...that stinks because they could take it back any time...
Old 12-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think they would take them back.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Gentry

Painted Portraits

Does anyone have pictures of portraits of the Grand Ducal family?
It would be interesting to see some :)
Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do you mean official photos?
Old 10-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Gentry

No, painted pictures :)
Old 10-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Courtier

I've seen a couple of paintings of different members of the family; most recently was the one of Maria-Teresa and Alexandra painted for GD Henri's 50th birthday.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Aristocracy

How come Grand Duke Jean takes precedence over The Grand Duke?

Shouldn't he come after The Grand Duke because he abdicated?