The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 AM
Nobility

Thank you JessRulz! Your information was very helpful!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
When royals visit another country it is traditional for the representatives to wear the order of the other country - if they have been granted any. The HGD is left to wear the Luxembourg order because it is what he has while Henri often wears the orders of of where he visits or who visits him because he has many orders. If the King of Spain visits Luxembourg expect to see him and Sofia wearing Luxembourg orders and any of the Luxembourg family that has a Spanish order wearing that.

I often wondered if this was just a traditional show of respect or if it was a not so subtle way of saying "I'm special here too."

Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
What would legally be the name of Marie-Astirds children, as these titles aren´t legally valid since 1918 or so. Imre von Habsburg-Lotharingen or Imre erzherzog von Habsburg-Lotharingen?
If they have Austrian passports, then their legal surname is Habsburg-Lotharingen (without "von", because it is forbidden in Austria). If they have German passports, then their legal surname can be either von Habsburg-Lotharingen (I think this is the legal surname of The Crown Prince of Austria) or Erzeherzog von Habsburg-Lotharingen. Well, that's how I understand it
Old 03-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Courtier

I would sincerely doubt that they carried anything other than Luxembourg passports.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I remember to have read in a biography of Archduke Otto that when his daughter Gabriela was born in Luxemburg in 1956, he makes her register to the registry office in Luxemburg as "Archduchess of Austria, Royal Princess of Hungary and Bohemia", while in Germany he cannot do it with his eldest daughters.
So I think that if they are Luxemburgian citizens or if they have Luxemburgian passports they can be registred as Archdukes of Austria, Royal Princes of Hungary and Bohemia.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

1) I was wondering how engagement of Guillaume will look like? Is it gonna be big as Crown prince Frederick and Mary Donaldson or just announcement? What about Felix? And Alexandra and Sebastian?
2) There is a law which protect family from press, does it extend on girlfriends of princes? I know they not family members, but in case of engagement will press hunting on girls (like on Maxima, Mary, Marie) or just live them alone (like it was with Tessy)?
Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
1) I was wondering how engagement of Guillaume will look like? Is it gonna be big as Crown prince Frederick and Mary Donaldson or just announcement? What about Felix? And Alexandra and Sebastian?
Likely their engagements will be small affairs. Not many outside Luxembourg know about these royals, and due to Luxembourg's small size and anonymity, there won't be a huge fuss like it was with CP Frederick and CP Mary.

Quote:
2) There is a law which protect family from press, does it extend on girlfriends of princes? I know they not family members, but in case of engagement will press hunting on girls (like on Maxima, Mary, Marie) or just live them alone (like it was with Tessy)?
Such law does not exist. The press in Luxembourg just don't seem to care really for spreading dirt on its royals. There is a tabloid or two that is concerned with the royals, Promi being the most familiar one. I doubt there wil be any "hunting" of possible future princess.

I hope that helped.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

Galas

Are there any galas in Luxembourg that the family attends every year? I'm thinking of how there is the Nobel Ceremony in Sweden and the Rose Ball in Monaco.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallas athina View Post
Are there any galas in Luxembourg that the family attends every year? I'm thinking of how there is the Nobel Ceremony in Sweden and the Rose Ball in Monaco.
Along the lines of the 2 you mentioned, I can only think of the gala associated with National Day.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks, Lalla Meriem!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

I agree Lalla Meriem!
The important thing is not to be bitter over life's dissapointments.Learn to let go of the past and recognise that every day won't be sunny.But when you find yourself in the darkness of despare,rememmber that it is only in the black of night you can see stars,and those stars will lead you home!So don't be afraid to make mistakes,to stumble and fall,cause most of the time the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most!!! :)
Old 10-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Princess Alexandra

Hello:

Is princess Alexandra of Luxembourg dating anyone right now??

Thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaiya View Post
Likely their engagements will be small affairs. Not many outside Luxembourg know about these royals, and due to Luxembourg's small size and anonymity, there won't be a huge fuss like it was with CP Frederick and CP Mary.
I think that the HGD engagement would be a huge thing in Luxembourg but not around the world like it was with CP Frederick and CP Mary.

CP Frederick was if I'm not mistaken quite known around the world as a "bachelor prince" so I guess the big fuss came with him settling down while HGD Guillaume doesn't seems to be his life as the "bachelor prince"
Old 10-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani90 View Post
I think that the HGD engagement would be a huge thing in Luxembourg but not around the world like it was with CP Frederick and CP Mary.

CP Frederick was if I'm not mistaken quite known around the world as a "bachelor prince" so I guess the big fuss came with him settling down while HGD Guillaume doesn't seems to be his life as the "bachelor prince"

I think it really depends on where the women he marries is from. If he were to marry an American, for example, the US press would certainly make a big deal out of it. All the glossy magazines would dedicated a cover to it. In Australia another Princess would be a big deal.

I think in the general European region where people know about Luxembourg it will make news. German, French, Swiss, Spanish, Belgian, and Dutch coverage would be expected.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Aristocracy

Yes you are right in that Lalla Meriem. What I meant was it will probably not get the same attention in the world press as CP Frederick and CP Mary or Prince William since Lux Royals aren't as public as the other royal houses. But yes obviously it will get press and as you said it depends on where the girl is from.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanelWindsor View Post
Are there any video of prince felix speaking? I cant seem to find any! So if any know of one please let me know.

xoxo
Chanelwindsor
Yes.... He speaks in I'm not sure what language at about 3:15. It's from last year's Tour de France I believe.

-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Courtier

Well, he refers to Lëtzebuergers and not Luxembourgers, luxembourgeois, or Luxemburgers I therefore assume he is speaking Luxembourgish. I can understand German fair enough (not perfectly) and I miss parts of what he's saying. A German would not say Lëtzebuergers or Lëtzebuergerland.

Yes, the video is from the 2008 Tour de France.

Later in the video Andy Schleck is speaking and he is definitely speaking Luxembourgish and I hardly understand anything he says except his last phrase which is a common phrase and is even used by Felix when he comments.

There is a video of the Grand Duke speaking Luxembourgish He speaks very clearly and slowly you can hear the slowest and clearest Luxembourgish ever from the Grand Duke. I listen to him to tune my ears to Luxembourgish..
Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Nobility

If I improve a little bit my Deutsch, I mean Germany, I would understand some of this? Fact he speak very slowly and clearly, I'm impressed, not like William who speaks English that way that it's hard to understand anything. Luxembourgish has much in connom with German? That isn't German dialect or sth?

Can we see any video when MT, Guillaume speaking? GD Henri has nice voice, however I prefer english or french ( I don't speak french but it sound nice, light and... clear.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Aristocracy

You can hear Guillaume speak. The second video Guillaume speaks around 3.24

Maria-Teresa speaking at a conferance in Microfinance
Cour grand-ducale de Luxembourg - Discours de la Grande-Duchesse Ã* la conférence internationale sur l'avenir de la microfinance en Afrique
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Nobility

I'm impressed. Guillaume so sweet. He doesn't look so shy when he welcomed guests. However I'm shy too and people don't see it in some situations. He looks relax and he likes prince Frederik I think.

I imagine Felix in another way but it's amazing to see them speaking not only on photos. Thanks all for videos!