The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhcp
Perhaps Sean.~ can confirm this .... I imagine the illustrious past that England has, means that the Regent can't 'stoop' to attend the funeral of one of Europe's smallest countries.

I think there is a very convoluted order of precedence that QE2 has to follow for the correct amount of honour to have been perceived to be bestowed with her presence.

Naturally with Beatrix and Margrethe, more practicality enters the picture. That is, order of precedence is thrown away.

which brings me to my second point with QE2 ... it seems she only attends when a reigning monarch is struck down. With all due respect, Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte was in retirement, and consort to the Grand Duke.

I think King Juan Carlos's absence at this and a number of past events is an indication of the "power" that he holds, that he can pass those (shall we say slightly onerous) duties off on others in his household.

King Harald's absence is in a way similar to Juan Carlos ... hence an indication of power that he can set his own schedule, and perhaps also dictated in a way by a small pocketbook.
Well, I don't know about England's "illustrious" past. There are many coutries, Scotland, Ireland and Wales included who would say it was more of an infamous past but the size of a country should have nothing to do with showing respect for deceased member of it's royal family. You may be right about the order of precedence. The British, or more correctly the English, have this stupid belief that thier royal family are superior to other royals. I've heard an English person claim that only the windsors are "real" royalty and the others only have thier titles because the British monarch allows them to do so. I have been told that the reason Elizabeth never goes to any royal affairs is because the British government will not allow her to be "upstaged" by another monarch. Monarchs take thier order in these things according to how long they have reigned. This means that throughout her reign Elizabeth would have had to walk behind other monarchs and the British wouldn't stand for that. She did attend King Bodioun's funeral because the government thought that with him dead she was now longest reigning, but they forgot about Prince Rainier who had reigned longer than both Elizabeth and Bodioun and because of this is Europe's premier monarch. Beause of this, she still doesn't go to events. It can have nothing to do with being too busy. All monarchs are busy and many are more so tham Elizabeth. Remember this, she has a 4 week holiday at Christmas, another 4 weeks at Easter and 2 months in the summer. During this time she carries out no official duties. Added to that she has a 4 day weekend (Fri-Mon) that she spends at Windsor and again, on these days she carries out no official duties. That means she has a 3 day working week for official duties. That works out at just over 13 weeks a year. Plent of time to attend foreign royal functions.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhcp
these (following) comments of mine are in no way meant to be cynical
... with generations of GD Jean's forebears laid to rest in the royal crypt its evident to me that later generations have to contend with shortage of space.
... bearing the foregoing in mind, is there only room in the crypt for GD Jean's future coffin, and hence the only way Josephine can be together with her husband is in an urn in his coffin?
No offense, but that is soooo gross!

Old 01-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
No offense, but that is soooo gross!
Er....why is it gross?
My grandparents did something like that- my grandfather was buried but my grandmother was cremated, and her ashes were placed in an urn, then into a box, and then the box was buried right on top of my grandfather's casket.
That may be something like what the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess had arranged to do...who knows?
Lollies!
-Kara-
Old 01-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, it must just be me.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Nobility

It depends what you're used you probably. Some families just might not do that sort of thing!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Nobility

These are some pictures from the Commemorative Mass for Joséphine-Charlotte in Belgium yesterday (Sts Michel and Gudule Cathedral, Brussels) - I hope it is appropriate to post them in this thread.
1. The beginning of the service
2. Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz and Queen Fabiola
3. King Albert II, Princess Marie-Astrid, Archduke Carl-Christian, Prince Guillaume
4. Photo of Joséphine-Charlotte
5. Prince Lorenz, Princess Astrid, Prince Amadeo, Princess Luisa, Princess Laura
6. Prince Amadeo, Princess Luisa Maria, Princess Maria Laura, Prince Joachim
7. Princess Astrid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	82642   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	82643   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	82644   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	82645  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	82647   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	82648  
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Nobility

8. Prince Nikolaus, Queen Fabiola
9. Crown Princess Mathilde, Crown Prince Philippe
10. Princess Claire, Prince Laurent
11. Prince Jean, Princess Sibilla, Princess Astrid, Prince Jean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	82657   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	82658   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	82659   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	82661  

Old 03-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Aristocracy

While watching the funeral, I noticed that a very nice song was sung. I believe it is called O Mamm, léif Mamm. Does anyone know the words of that song, and if possible, the English translation? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could post the lyrics of the song. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was on in the US?
Old 03-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by suturegeisha
Er....why is it gross?
My grandparents did something like that- my grandfather was buried but my grandmother was cremated, and her ashes were placed in an urn, then into a box, and then the box was buried right on top of my grandfather's casket.
That may be something like what the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess had arranged to do...who knows?
Lollies!
-Kara-
My paternal grandparents are like that too, except that neither were cremated. My grandfather died first, and then when my grandmother died, his bones were taken and placed with my grandmother inside her coffin. I think that's how my family plot is arranged due to space shortage which, looking at the pictures of the crypt, might be the case with the royals.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

No, I don't think it was on in the US. I downloaded it from http://www.rtl.lu/cms/news/newsdossier/514/

Where it says Video Dokumenter, it saysStaatsakt (integral) under it. Click that, and it is the funeral. At 2:32:48, the song O Mamm, léif Mamm is played. I thought it was a very nice song, and I can't find the lyrics for it anywhere. I wondered if anyone knew what they were.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Commoner

I know this is a bit late, but I'd like to see the video of the funeral and the links provided don't work anymore. Is there another way to get to the RTL version, or is it on youtube?

Thanks for any help