Funeral of Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte: January 15, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've read on a few msg boards that she was cremated and her remains(don't know if all) were to be put into the royal crypt.

hillary_nugent said:
aw...that's cool ^___^ by the way did JC choose to be cremated or is it a tradition of the royal family?
Good question! I'm pretty sure that cremation was not encouraged in Catholicism. Choice of cremation for a Catholic royalty is somewhat odd to me.

suturegeisha said:
I'm not arguing with ya, hrhcp, but re:King Harald's absence-
it was my understanding that he was attending a remembrance service for the tsunami victims in Norway on Saturday, and for him to suddenly cancel would have caused a huge uproar. It was easier to have Queen Sonja go; she would not be as missed at the services as he would have.
I really don't think that's right of him at all- for goodness sakes, JC was his first cousin [her mother Astrid and his mother Martha were sisters, everyone :)]!!!! Plus, she was a [former] head of state!

Oh yes, and thank you for the video link, Reina! I finally got to hear Guillaume talk. What a lovely voice he has! ;)
Lollies!
-Kara-
Yes, I do absolutely agree with you, he should have gone to the funeral as GD JC was his first cousin!!! or at least sent someone..

I want post here the prayers of the grandchildren and the translation:

-Princess Maria Anunciata (eldest daughter of Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein) speaking her prayer in English: Mother of God, look for all the victims of the terrible tsunami desaster which deeply moved our grandmother. Keep watch of the whose who are struggeling and suffering and of the whose who are suffering from their family they lost there. May you bring them all hope and peace!​
-Princess Marie Gabrielle (eldest daughter of Prince Jean of Nassau) speaking her prayer in French: Ceci est spécialement pour amaman. Que la joie que tu nous donnes maintenant soit une consolation pour notre cher apapa et qu'elle régale surtout notre famille.​
This is especially for our dear grandma. May the joy which you are giving us in this moment be a consolation for our dear grandpa and join our family.​
-Princess Marie-Christine (eldest daughter of Princess Marie Astrid of Austria) speaking her prayer in German: Gott, seelige die Kirche, speziell die Kirche in Luxemburg, lass die Kirche ein lebendiges Zeichen deiner Liebe zu den Menschen sein.​
God, bless the church, and especially the church in Luxembourg, let the church be a fervent symbol of your love for human beings.​
-Prince Guillaume (eldest son of Grand Duke Henri and Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg) spoke in Luxembourgish: Papp am Himmel, du hues onser léiwer Groussmamm erlaabt, dem Lëtzebuerger Land ze déngen fir dat och mir no hirem Beispill fi déi do sinn, deenen mir op eisem Wee begéinen.​
Our Lord, you have permitted our dear grandmother, to be in service of Luxembourg, so that we are looking for those which we meet on our way and follow her example.​

elenaris said:
Yes, I do absolutely agree with you, he should have gone to the funeral as GD JC was his first cousin!!! or at least sent someone..
Sorry, I ve seen that queen sonja of norway was there

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
Did she wish to be cremated?
these (following) comments of mine are in no way meant to be cynical
... with generations of GD Jean's forebears laid to rest in the royal crypt its evident to me that later generations have to contend with shortage of space.
... bearing the foregoing in mind, is there only room in the crypt for GD Jean's future coffin, and hence the only way Josephine can be together with her husband is in an urn in his coffin?

hrhcp said:
Perhaps Sean.~ can confirm this .... I imagine the illustrious past that England has, means that the Regent can't 'stoop' to attend the funeral of one of Europe's smallest countries.

I think there is a very convoluted order of precedence that QE2 has to follow for the correct amount of honour to have been perceived to be bestowed with her presence.

Naturally with Beatrix and Margrethe, more practicality enters the picture. That is, order of precedence is thrown away.

which brings me to my second point with QE2 ... it seems she only attends when a reigning monarch is struck down. With all due respect, Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte was in retirement, and consort to the Grand Duke.

I think King Juan Carlos's absence at this and a number of past events is an indication of the "power" that he holds, that he can pass those (shall we say slightly onerous) duties off on others in his household.

King Harald's absence is in a way similar to Juan Carlos ... hence an indication of power that he can set his own schedule, and perhaps also dictated in a way by a small pocketbook.
Well, I don't know about England's "illustrious" past. There are many coutries, Scotland, Ireland and Wales included who would say it was more of an infamous past but the size of a country should have nothing to do with showing respect for deceased member of it's royal family. You may be right about the order of precedence. The British, or more correctly the English, have this stupid belief that thier royal family are superior to other royals. I've heard an English person claim that only the windsors are "real" royalty and the others only have thier titles because the British monarch allows them to do so. I have been told that the reason Elizabeth never goes to any royal affairs is because the British government will not allow her to be "upstaged" by another monarch. Monarchs take thier order in these things according to how long they have reigned. This means that throughout her reign Elizabeth would have had to walk behind other monarchs and the British wouldn't stand for that. She did attend King Bodioun's funeral because the government thought that with him dead she was now longest reigning, but they forgot about Prince Rainier who had reigned longer than both Elizabeth and Bodioun and because of this is Europe's premier monarch. Beause of this, she still doesn't go to events. It can have nothing to do with being too busy. All monarchs are busy and many are more so tham Elizabeth. Remember this, she has a 4 week holiday at Christmas, another 4 weeks at Easter and 2 months in the summer. During this time she carries out no official duties. Added to that she has a 4 day weekend (Fri-Mon) that she spends at Windsor and again, on these days she carries out no official duties. That means she has a 3 day working week for official duties. That works out at just over 13 weeks a year. Plent of time to attend foreign royal functions.

hrhcp said:
these (following) comments of mine are in no way meant to be cynical
... with generations of GD Jean's forebears laid to rest in the royal crypt its evident to me that later generations have to contend with shortage of space.
... bearing the foregoing in mind, is there only room in the crypt for GD Jean's future coffin, and hence the only way Josephine can be together with her husband is in an urn in his coffin?
No offense, but that is soooo gross!

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
No offense, but that is soooo gross!
Er....why is it gross?
My grandparents did something like that- my grandfather was buried but my grandmother was cremated, and her ashes were placed in an urn, then into a box, and then the box was buried right on top of my grandfather's casket.
That may be something like what the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess had arranged to do...who knows?
Lollies!
-Kara-

It depends what you're used you probably. Some families just might not do that sort of thing!

These are some pictures from the Commemorative Mass for Joséphine-Charlotte in Belgium yesterday (Sts Michel and Gudule Cathedral, Brussels) - I hope it is appropriate to post them in this thread.
1. The beginning of the service
2. Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz and Queen Fabiola
3. King Albert II, Princess Marie-Astrid, Archduke Carl-Christian, Prince Guillaume
4. Photo of Joséphine-Charlotte
5. Prince Lorenz, Princess Astrid, Prince Amadeo, Princess Luisa, Princess Laura
6. Prince Amadeo, Princess Luisa Maria, Princess Maria Laura, Prince Joachim
7. Princess Astrid

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 594
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 644
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 608
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 505
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,829
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 798
Last edited:
8. Prince Nikolaus, Queen Fabiola
9. Crown Princess Mathilde, Crown Prince Philippe
10. Princess Claire, Prince Laurent
11. Prince Jean, Princess Sibilla, Princess Astrid, Prince Jean

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 445
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 467
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 419
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 617
While watching the funeral, I noticed that a very nice song was sung. I believe it is called O Mamm, léif Mamm. Does anyone know the words of that song, and if possible, the English translation? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could post the lyrics of the song. Thanks.

suturegeisha said:
Er....why is it gross?
My grandparents did something like that- my grandfather was buried but my grandmother was cremated, and her ashes were placed in an urn, then into a box, and then the box was buried right on top of my grandfather's casket.
That may be something like what the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess had arranged to do...who knows?
Lollies!
-Kara-

My paternal grandparents are like that too, except that neither were cremated. My grandfather died first, and then when my grandmother died, his bones were taken and placed with my grandmother inside her coffin. I think that's how my family plot is arranged due to space shortage which, looking at the pictures of the crypt, might be the case with the royals.

No, I don't think it was on in the US. I downloaded it from http://www.rtl.lu/cms/news/newsdossier/514/

Where it says Video Dokumenter, it saysStaatsakt (integral) under it. Click that, and it is the funeral. At 2:32:48, the song O Mamm, léif Mamm is played. I thought it was a very nice song, and I can't find the lyrics for it anywhere. I wondered if anyone knew what they were.

I know this is a bit late, but I'd like to see the video of the funeral and the links provided don't work anymore. Is there another way to get to the RTL version, or is it on youtube?

Thanks for any help

5 years later and the same question.

Does anyone have a video of the funeral or a documentation of the late grand duchess?

I have seen bits and pieces of RTL video of the funeral, and of course many photos. But I don't have any idea where one could see the complete ceremony at this late date ten years on.

Last edited:
I have seen bits and pieces of RTL video of the funeral, and of course many photos. But I don't have any idea where one could see the complete ceremony at this late date ten years on.

Thanks for the reply, maybe someone recorded the funeral. You never know.

Again, does anyone have a video of the funeral? That would be great.

Back
Top Bottom