The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by suturegeisha
I'm fairly certain that she and Jean are either seperated or have quietly divorced. They haven't been seen together in public in a very long time, and he has been seen about town with another woman.
Lollies!
-Kara-
Yes I remarked this too! I have heard something of a divorce. By the way I have not seen much pictures of Helene Vestur.

I just want to add something which shocked me today. While the newspapers Luxemburger Wort and Tageblatt wrote respectful texts and pictures, the republican newspaper Le Quotidien showed a large picture on the first page with a crying Grand Duke and the text: "Grand Duke Jean was an isolated old man during the ceremony, very marked and in tears."

The Luxemburger Wort showed much more respect and wrote in its reports about the funeral: "Visibely touched: Grand Duke Jean during the requiem." or "Together in grief: Grand Duke Jean, Grand Duke Henri and Maria Teresa":)

But what shocked me more was the statement of Le Quotidien that the young people in Luxembourg weren't interesting at all at the funeral! This is a wrong cliché because I was very sad during the funeral ceremony I watched live on TV and certainly many young people in my country and in other countries too!
Certainly the reporters of Le Quotidien didn't dare a view on this forum yet because than they would have seen what great photo tribute and respect young people gave to a 77 year old Grand Duchess!

Old 01-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Royal Highness

Gosh what a waste to give up your title to marry someone only to get a divorce. I hope his new woman is a commoner too.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Nobility

thnkx for the pictures..
May she rest in peace...
Old 01-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
Gosh what a waste to give up your title to marry someone only to get a divorce. I hope his new woman is a commoner too.
Well, she was pregnant out of marrige and they were probably in love.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Nobility

It'a disgusting for a republican newspaper to twist pictures of a deeply sad event to their own advantage. You should write "Le Quotidien" a letter, drimal, and tell them to visit the forums. :) Then they'll see how much young people care!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
As usual, Queen Elizabeth was conspicuos by her absence.
Perhaps Sean.~ can confirm this .... I imagine the illustrious past that England has, means that the Regent can't 'stoop' to attend the funeral of one of Europe's smallest countries.

I think there is a very convoluted order of precedence that QE2 has to follow for the correct amount of honour to have been perceived to be bestowed with her presence.

Naturally with Beatrix and Margrethe, more practicality enters the picture. That is, order of precedence is thrown away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley
I can only ever remember Queen Elizabeth going to one funeral abroad, that of King Bauduoin.
which brings me to my second point with QE2 ... it seems she only attends when a reigning monarch is struck down. With all due respect, Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte was in retirement, and consort to the Grand Duke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley
King Juan Carlos and King Harald were also not present.
I think King Juan Carlos's absence at this and a number of past events is an indication of the "power" that he holds, that he can pass those (shall we say slightly onerous) duties off on others in his household.

King Harald's absence is in a way similar to Juan Carlos ... hence an indication of power that he can set his own schedule, and perhaps also dictated in a way by a small pocketbook.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Courtier

I'm not arguing with ya, hrhcp, but re:King Harald's absence-
it was my understanding that he was attending a remembrance service for the tsunami victims in Norway on Saturday, and for him to suddenly cancel would have caused a huge uproar. It was easier to have Queen Sonja go; she would not be as missed at the services as he would have.
I really don't think that's right of him at all- for goodness sakes, JC was his first cousin [her mother Astrid and his mother Martha were sisters, everyone :)]!!!! Plus, she was a [former] head of state!

Oh yes, and thank you for the video link, Reina! I finally got to hear Guillaume talk. What a lovely voice he has!
Lollies!
-Kara-
Old 01-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I finally got to hear Guillaume talk. What a lovely voice he has!
Wow that's so cool ^__^ what did he ssound like? deep? squeaky? husky? :p
Old 01-18-2005, 06:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
Wow that's so cool ^__^ what did he ssound like? deep? squeaky? husky? :p
suprisingly so, his voice didn't really match his age. it could've been from the mic b/c i sound different when i use one- the pitch goes up. overall, i like his voice b/c it sounds soooo sweet and adds even more sweetness to his personality. so i'd say he has an average sounding early 20-something's voice and he seems to be the soft-spoken and shy type b/c of the pitch. but who knows b/c i've never heard him in person. perhaps someday...
Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Heir Apparent

aw...that's cool ^___^ by the way did JC choose to be cremated or is it a tradition of the royal family?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Courtier

i've read on a few msg boards that she was cremated and her remains(don't know if all) were to be put into the royal crypt.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
aw...that's cool ^___^ by the way did JC choose to be cremated or is it a tradition of the royal family?
Good question! I'm pretty sure that cremation was not encouraged in Catholicism. Choice of cremation for a Catholic royalty is somewhat odd to me.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Are there any other Luxembourg Royals that have been cremated?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Aristocracy

Thumbs down

Quote:
I'm not arguing with ya, hrhcp, but re:King Harald's absence-
it was my understanding that he was attending a remembrance service for the tsunami victims in Norway on Saturday, and for him to suddenly cancel would have caused a huge uproar. It was easier to have Queen Sonja go; she would not be as missed at the services as he would have.
I really don't think that's right of him at all- for goodness sakes, JC was his first cousin [her mother Astrid and his mother Martha were sisters, everyone :)]!!!! Plus, she was a [former] head of state!

Oh yes, and thank you for the video link, Reina! I finally got to hear Guillaume talk. What a lovely voice he has!
Lollies!
-Kara-
Yes, I do absolutely agree with you, he should have gone to the funeral as GD JC was his first cousin!!! or at least sent someone..
Old 01-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Nobility

I want post here the prayers of the grandchildren and the translation:

-Princess Maria Anunciata (eldest daughter of Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein) speaking her prayer in English: Mother of God, look for all the victims of the terrible tsunami desaster which deeply moved our grandmother. Keep watch of the whose who are struggeling and suffering and of the whose who are suffering from their family they lost there. May you bring them all hope and peace!
-Princess Marie Gabrielle (eldest daughter of Prince Jean of Nassau) speaking her prayer in French: Ceci est spécialement pour amaman. Que la joie que tu nous donnes maintenant soit une consolation pour notre cher apapa et qu'elle régale surtout notre famille.
This is especially for our dear grandma. May the joy which you are giving us in this moment be a consolation for our dear grandpa and join our family.
-Princess Marie-Christine (eldest daughter of Princess Marie Astrid of Austria) speaking her prayer in German: Gott, seelige die Kirche, speziell die Kirche in Luxemburg, lass die Kirche ein lebendiges Zeichen deiner Liebe zu den Menschen sein.
God, bless the church, and especially the church in Luxembourg, let the church be a fervent symbol of your love for human beings.
-Prince Guillaume (eldest son of Grand Duke Henri and Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg) spoke in Luxembourgish: Papp am Himmel, du hues onser léiwer Groussmamm erlaabt, dem Lëtzebuerger Land ze déngen fir dat och mir no hirem Beispill fi déi do sinn, deenen mir op eisem Wee begéinen.
Our Lord, you have permitted our dear grandmother, to be in service of Luxembourg, so that we are looking for those which we meet on our way and follow her example.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaris
Yes, I do absolutely agree with you, he should have gone to the funeral as GD JC was his first cousin!!! or at least sent someone..
Sorry, I ve seen that queen sonja of norway was there
Old 01-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did she wish to be cremated?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
Did she wish to be cremated?
these (following) comments of mine are in no way meant to be cynical
... with generations of GD Jean's forebears laid to rest in the royal crypt its evident to me that later generations have to contend with shortage of space.
... bearing the foregoing in mind, is there only room in the crypt for GD Jean's future coffin, and hence the only way Josephine can be together with her husband is in an urn in his coffin?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Heir Apparent

awww...that's beautiful...she wants to be beside her husband forever ^___^
Old 01-19-2005, 04:52 AM
Courtier

that is so sweet...