The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Nobility

Thanks rere for the pics!:)

@hillary_nuggent: According to my newspaper, the following members are burried in the crypt under the Cathedral: Grand Duchess Marie-Adelheid (Charlotte's sister and GD from 1912 to 1919); the mother of Grand Duchess Charlotte and Marie-Adelheid, Marie-Anne, Prince Charles of Luxembourg and Grand Duchess Charlotte.

@Ephram: Well I don't know if you know that I'm living in Luxembourg so that I can give you many background informations. :)
First of all on Monday, the 10th January, the radios were playing classical music, especially requiems and on RTL Tele Luxembourg (Luxembourg's main channel) there were reports the whole afternoon; the marriage of the Grand Duchess, a visit on Berg Castle in 1971, the description of the functions of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and Grand Duke Jean, a report showing her biography, and reports showing the emotions of the people in Luxembourg...
Here is a link were you some videos and pictures of the Grand Duchess:
http://www.rtl.lu/cms/news/newsdossier/

From Tuesday onwards, the radios were transmitting the usual music and the TV had no more special reports apart from the images of the ceremony rere posted here. And of course everybody can write a comment in the condolences book to show his respect to the Grand Ducal family. Up to now over 4000 people had written a comment in the books and were staying in a queue for many minutes outside in the rain. (There was nasty weather yesterday! )
Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go there and I'm living 40 kilometers from Luxembourg City and the public transport is not easy at all in Luxembourg. Apart from that there is actually nasty weather here.

Yesterday and today it was from 10 o'clock to 13 o'clock in the morning and from 14 o'clock to 17.30 pm. Tomorrow is the last chance from 10 o'clock to 13 o'clock.
On Friday were will be a special commemoration in the parliamant in honour to Josephine-Charlotte.

On Saturday at 11.30 am (GMT) will be a funeral with state occasion with important persons of Luxembourg and from other countries and afterwards the Grand Duchess will be burried in the crypt of the Cathedral in the close family circle.

There is half-mast in the whole county until Saturday 18 hours and offical days of mourning, the Grand Ducal has a mourning period of six weeks during which every special dinners or state visits are cancelled.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden will attend the funeral.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
WOw! Thanks! Can someone provide thhe time of the funeral. I guess luxembourg time is about seven hours ahead of eastern standard time, so I will be able to subtrct from lu time.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Courtier

Hallo drimal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drimal
I can give you many background informations. :)
First of all on Monday, the 10th January, the radios were playing classical music, especially requiems and on RTL Tele Luxembourg (Luxembourg's main channel) there were reports the whole afternoon; the marriage of the Grand Duchess, a visit on Berg Castle in 1971, the description of the functions of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and Grand Duke Jean, a report showing her biography, and reports showing the emotions of the people in Luxembourg...
Here is a link were you some videos and pictures of the Grand Duchess:
http://www.rtl.lu/cms/news/newsdossier/

From Tuesday onwards, the radios were transmitting the usual music and the TV had no more special reports apart from the images of the ceremony rere posted here. And of course everybody can write a comment in the condolences book to show his respect to the Grand Ducal family. Up to now over 4000 people had written a comment in the books and were staying in a queue for many minutes outside in the rain. (There was nasty weather yesterday! )
Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go there and I'm living 40 kilometers from Luxembourg City and the public transport is not easy at all in Luxembourg. Apart from that there is actually nasty weather here.

Yesterday and today it was from 10 o'clock to 13 o'clock in the morning and from 14 o'clock to 17.30 pm. Tomorrow is the last chance from 10 o'clock to 13 o'clock.
On Friday were will be a special commemoration in the parliamant in honour to Josephine-Charlotte.

On Saturday at 11.30 am (GMT) will be a funeral with state occasion with important persons of Luxembourg and from other countries and afterwards the Grand Duchess will be burried in the crypt of the Cathedral in the close family circle.

There is half-mast in the whole county until Saturday 18 hours and offical days of mourning, the Grand Ducal has a mourning period of six weeks during which every special dinners or state visits are cancelled.
Oh, hello drimal. I'm really happy to meet a person from Luxembourg here. Thank you very much for your information. Few days ago, I had a lot of difficulties to get news on Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte from internet to know about the daily reports on the development of her funeral. The only source I have is royal MBs, rtl and your govt. official site but the problem lies on languages where I don't know French or your native language Luxembourgouise (sorry if I misspelled it).

Have you seen any picture showing Guillaume Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg and his siblings paying their last respects to their beloved grandma?

Is public allowed to enter the palace and file past the bier apart from signing and commenting on the condolence books? and what's the name of the palace where the mortal remain of Grand Duchess now lies in state?

I really understand about the nasty wheather currently in your country plus the transportation matters but would you plan to be in your capital tomorrow to witness the funeral or you just prefer to watch it via tv?

Thank you.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Courtier

11.30am Luxembourg time

Does anyone know if Luxembourg government has opened a memorial website of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte so that people like us can sign the condolences on line?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I know that Queen Margrethe,Prince Henrik,Queen Beatrix will also be there.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Sonja and Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner will attend from Norway. Joséphine-Charlotte was the cousin of Princess Astrid, Princess Ragnhild and King Harald, and used to spend parts of the summers with them at their mutual grandparents' in Sweden before the WWII.

King Harald has declared a day of mourning at the Royal Palace in Oslo this Saturday.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Exclamation Important informations around the funeral of Josephine-Charlotte!

Important informations around the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte!

1) TV Broadcast

RTL Tele Lëtzebuerg will broadcast live from the funeral from 10:15 am (GMT) onwards until 13:15 pm (GMT). Before the live broadcasting, from 8.50 am onwards there will be shown a report of 1990 Zwee Liewen fier ee Land. From 10:15 onwards the RTL TV team is live broadcasting live from Luxembourg city, first the funeral procession until 11:30 am (GMT) and than the requiem in the Cathedral including a state occasion. This requiem will endure until 13:15 pm (GMT)

Here is a link to the website of Luxembourg's TV channel RTL and click on "Live Stream" :
http://www.rtl.lu/tele/
Apart from RTL Tele Lëtzebuerg the Belgian RTL-TVI will broadcast the requiem from 11:30 am onwards (according to my informations there will be no funeral procession shown on RTL TVI, but only the requiem!) on account of the close relationship between the two sovereign houses. This broadcasting will be in the French language!

2) The course of the event

The coffin of the dead sovereign will be carried by 10 police - and army officers: of Lieutnant-Colonel Fernand Guth, Lieutnant-Colonel Gaston Reinig, Premier commissaire divisionnaire Nico Hirsch, Premier commissaire divisionnaire Marc Zovilé, Lieutnant-Colonel Yves Kalmes, Premier commissaire divisionnaire Guy Stebens, Premier commissaire divisionnaire Jean-Marie Wagner, major Robert Kohnen, Lieutnant-Colonel Roland Bomabardella, Lieutnant-Colonel Carlo Simon, major Steve Thull and major Georges Eiden.
In front of the coffin will go as "Protecteur de décorations" Lieutnant-Colonel Serge Luca.
From 11:12 am onwards the funeral procession will start at the Palace (Palais) and will move through the Rue de Reine, the Rue du Fossé to the entry of the Cathedral in the Rue Notre-Dame. (Rue...= street names ). Up to the edge of the Rue due Fossé/ Rue Notre_dame the coffine will be carried from ten non-commissioned officers (NCO) and four police inspectors, than the ten officers will undertake this role.

The requiem with state occasion will start at 11:30 am and will endure less than 75 minutes and the archbishop is Monseigneur Fernand Franck. Around him will be court aumônier Georges Vuillermoz, vicar-general Mathias Schiltz, dean of the cathedral André Heiderscheid, vicar of the cathedral Joseph Morn and the priests (vicars) of Fischbach and Colmar-Berg.

The chants of the requiem are undertaken by a chorus of 150 singer, from the "Maîtrise Saint-Cécile de la Cathédrale", the "Chorale Saint-Michel", the "Madrigal de Luxembourg" the "Ensemble vocal Berdorf", and from the "Ensemble vocal Cantina." On part of the music there is cathedral organist Carlo Hommel ("aux grandes orgues"), the Philharmonical orchestra and the soloists Vladimir Spivakov (violin), Philippe Koch (violin) Philippe Gonzalez (oboe). The conductors are Pierre Cao and Jean-Paul Majerus.
Besides "O Mamm léif Mamm" and the national anthem (you remember the post in symbols and functions from me ) there will be played the works of Johann Sebastian Bach (Ach Herr lass dein Lieb Engelein), Georg Friederich Haendel (since by man came death) and Felix Mendelssohn-Bartoldy (Wohl dem, der den Herrn fürchtet). The final chant will be "Andante en re mineur pour clavier et orchestre" of J.S. Bach.

There will be a large screen on the "Place d'Armes" for the citizans, because the many guest of honours of nobility, politics and society have the major part of the seats in the cathedral, and this screen will send the images of the event live.

Large safety precautions are taken for this big event, 350 policemen, whose functions are to guarantee the safety for the Grand Ducal family, the honour guests and the correct order of the whole event. Which members of other Royal houses will be present are not yet known. But certainly every Royal house will be presented!
For the journalists, photographs and technicmen of the whole Europe, there was created a media centre on the conference centre Kiem of Kirchberg (Kirchberg is a district of Luxembourg city) with ideal conditions for working for 400 persons. On Kirchberg will be also the cars of the journalists and photographs and with the shuttle transport (we say "Park and Ride" in Luxembourg) these persons will be brought into the centre of the city. This is a mean to avoid more circulation problems, but however there will be many jams in my country!
However the broadcasting cars of the TV channels are on the "Knuedler" (Knuedler= place where the palace is).

2000 white roses, 300 white orchids and 300 white azaleas were yesterday in a transporter near the chorus room of the cathedral. During the funeral they will accompany the Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte on "her last way". Roses were the favourite flowers of the Grand Duchess and white was her favourite colour...

PS: This text was published in German in my newsper Luxemburger Wort and I translated it in English!:)
Old 01-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
2000 white roses, 300 white orchids and 300 white azaleas were yesterday in a transporter near the chorus room of the cathedral. During the funeral they will accompany the Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte on "her last way". Roses were the favourite flowers of the Grand Duchess and white was her favourite colour...

PS: This text was published in German in my newsper Luxemburger Wort and I translated it in English!:)
A beautiful funeral for a beautiful lady ^__^

thanks for the translation Drimal!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Nobility

Thanks drimal. I plan on watching the funeral.

Notre-Dame Cathedral, Luxembourg City

Built between 1613 and 1621, this magnificent Gothic cathedral houses the royal family vault and the large sarchophagus of John the Blind as a well as a notable treasury. The treasury can be viewed on request. The charming annual Octave of Our Lady of Luxembourg takes place here every year on the fifth Sunday after Easter. Thousands of pilgrims gather to pray to the miraculous statue of the Holy Virgin for protection. They then form a procession to carry the statue from the cathedral through the streets to an altar covered in flowers in the Avenue de la Porte Neuve

These flowers are beautiflu. (This is my favorite royal cathedral).
More can be found at Rtl.lu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41e7a72f46b36.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	79487   Click image for larger version

Name:	41e7a73004dce.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	79488   Click image for larger version

Name:	41e7a7283e826.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	79489   Click image for larger version

Name:	41e7a7250867a.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	79491  

Click image for larger version

Name:	luxembourg_city.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	79492  
Old 01-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

The cathedral looks very nice, thanks for the pics and the text!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Wow! I didn't know that!

I think JC is currently at the Cathedral. I don't think Guillaume and the bunch have been seen mourning in public, but I'm sure they are mourning in private.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Courtier

Royalty out in force for funeral of Luxembourg grand duchess

Fri Jan 14, 3:13 PM ET
Entertainment - AFP

LUXEMBOURG (AFP) - Members of 15 royal houses from Europe and beyond will be in attendance Saturday for the funeral of Luxembourg Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte, who died this week aged 77.

AFP/File Photo

Luxembourg authorities said Friday that the burial service would be held at the national cathedral at 1110 GMT.

A 21-gun salute will boom out, while the pallbearers will be drawn from the royal family and the tiny country's armed forces.

Josephine-Charlotte, the Belgian-born mother of Luxembourg's reigning monarch Grand Duke Henri, died of lung cancer on Monday.

Her younger brother, King Albert II, will lead the delegation of mourners from neighbouring Belgium.

Also in attendance are expected to be Spanish Queen Sofia, Queen Margrethe II II of Denmark, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Norway's Queen Sonja and King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.

The British royal family will be represented by Prince Andrew, while Japan's Prince Akishino, Jordan's Prince El Hassan Bin and Prince Albert of Monaco are also expected.

Representatives of three former royal houses, from Bulgaria, Greece and Iran, will also attend.

Courtesy of Yahoo News and AFP

Old 01-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who are those people standing next to the coffin?

Why isn't Queen Elizabeth going?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Courtier

I don't know. She is the most superior monarch on earth and if she is going , she will likely be given a very special position. Last time she went to the Funeral of King Baudouin of Belgium and never attended anything like this any more
Old 01-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think she is the most superior, she just thinks she is.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
Who are those people standing next to the coffin?
Again, I also don't know. This picture is taken from RTL site and those people standing next to the coffin look like scout girls. So very informal right?, don't you think so?

In other countries, when their royals passed away, members of royal family or military officials complete with their various military dresses and decorations will safeguard the coffin all day long but this one they only put scouts?

But superior or not, sadly she will not attend.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Nobility

Me too....i think that she´s know all the world...but, she´s the same as Queen Sofia, Silvia, Sonja, Beatrix, Paola......but, since she´s from UK......you know where i´m getting...but, it´s a shame she´s not going...
Old 01-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Isn't she going to be in Germany in two weeks?

That doesn't make much sense.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:46 AM
Courtier

Courtesy of The Canadian Press

Luxembourg prepares lavish royal funeral for grand duchess
01:42 AM EST Jan 15

LUXEMBOURG (AP) - Luxembourg prepared to bury Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte, the mother of the reigning monarch, on Saturday with music by Bach and Mozart and the white roses she loved.

Josephine-Charlotte died of lung cancer Monday at age 77. She married Grand Duke Jean, who ruled the country of 450,000 people from 1964 until 2000, when he abdicated in favour of his son Henri, the current monarch, in 2000.

The 15-minute funeral cortege will thread its way through the narrow, historic centre of Luxembourg, going from the gingerbread grand ducal palace to the Cathedral of Our Lady, which holds the royal crypt.

A 21-gun salute - at 30-second intervals - will sound over the city and its massive, old ramparts that hover over the deep, picturesque ravine of the Alzette River.

Bystanders lining the funeral route will be asked to toss the petals of white roses as the casket is taken to the cathedral for the burial and funeral mass.

The cathedral itself has been decorated with 2,000 white roses as well as 600 white orchids and azaleas. White was the grand duchess's favourite color, the rose her favourite flower.

Expected to attend the funeral are Josephine-Charlotte's brother, King Albert of Belgium; her husband, the former monarch and their five children, Grand Duke Henri, princes Jean and Guillaume and princesses Marie-Astrid and Margaretha.

After a funeral mass, the grand ducal family is to accompany Josephine-Charlotte's coffin into the crypt that contains the tombs of Luxembourg bishops and royalty. The coffin will be placed in a space below the crypt's stone floor.

On Friday, the national parliament stood in silence for one minute in memory of the grand duchess, who died 10 days after Luxembourg assumed the six-month presidency of the European Union. The government scaled back some EU-related events during the period of official mourning.

Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte Ingeborg Elisabeth Marie Jose Marguerite Astrid was born Oct. 11, 1927, at the Belgian royal palace in Brussels.

The daughter of Belgian King Leopold III and Swedish-born Queen Astrid, she spent her childhood in private schools in Belgium.

On June 7, 1944 - one day after the allied D-Day landings in Normandy - the Belgian royal family was deported to Germany.

In May, 1945, they moved to Geneva, Switzerland, because King Leopold could not return home due to an intense controversy in Belgium over his wartime conduct that brought the country to the brink of civil war.

In Geneva, Josephine Charlotte studied child psychology. On April 9, 1953, she married Prince Jean of Luxembourg, then heir to the grand ducal throne of the tiny country surrounded by France, Germany and Belgium. Throughout her reign, she showed an interest in childhood and family issues, health and the arts and headed the Luxembourg Red Cross.